cam/ timing chain help needed

pufferfish_88
This post is 5847 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, to keep this short and sweet, my tw125 (same engine as an sr125) has become quite noisey and clicky, somebody btold me this is probably the cams or timing chain being loose and slapping about, great, but how do i tighten it, cant find the info any where and please bear in mind im a bit of a retard so carefull explaination would be much appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi, to keep this short and sweet, my tw125 (same engine as an sr125) has become quite noisey and clicky, somebody btold me this is probably the cams or timing chain being loose and slapping about, great, but how do i tighten it, cant find the info any where and please bear in mind im a bit of a retard so carefull explaination would be much appreciated

Hi. As a general rule if you rev the engine and the noise goes away or gets quieter it may well be a cam chain that is loose and if the noise gets louder it is a good indication that valve clearences may well need checking. I am not a familiar with this bike but doing a quick google search I gather it is a 1999 modle or something later which may well have a automatic tensioner on it. Check with your local dealer on what type of tensioner is on the bike. If it is an auto tensioner and you still think cam chain noise either the tensioner is faulty or chain needs replacing. Another check on the cam chain is to turn the motor over by hand off the crank (normaly the rotor bolt with s/plug out)and you should be able to feel any slack. I would suggest that if you are not familiar with installing cams/cam chains etc then get some one to show you or buy a manual as a simple mistake can be costly. Ernie.

hi mate, these bikes are prone to noisy tappets and noisy cam chain. the valves need checking and adjusting every 2500 miles, you can give the chain tensioner a nudge forward also so its takes up the slack,ake sure the oil is changed regularly too and is at the upper level.. shout me back if you need any further help.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online