yamaha dt 125 to 200 cc conversion ?

dougspoke
This post is 5036 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all, has anyone had experience coverting a dt 125r to a dt 200r ? i found someone selling a big bore kit for the dt 125, ie making it 180 cc, but not sure how well it works and if the carb needs tinkering with (ie jets,etc). thought it might be bettter to buy same year 200 cc yam barrel and piston if it could fit.there used to be 125/200 trail bikes that were possibe to swop parts on, ie dt 125/175 mx, kmx 125/200, mtx 125/200 ,ts 125/200. don,t want to buy any expensive parts till i know it works ! thought about getting 2nd hand engine 125 dtr and then looking /searching for 200 top end,keep me out of mischief for a while. the 180 cc conversion is made by "athena", but looking on the webb,some kits require the crankcases to be clearanced with a dremel,in the hole obove the crank where the rod comes out. anybody with thoughts how to increase performance of 125 dtr ?

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi all, has anyone had experience coverting a dt 125r to a dt 200r ? i found someone selling a big bore kit for the dt 125, ie making it 180 cc, but not sure how well it works and if the carb needs tinkering with (ie jets,etc). thought it might be bettter to buy same year 200 cc yam barrel and piston if it could fit.there used to be 125/200 trail bikes that were possibe to swop parts on, ie dt 125/175 mx, kmx 125/200, mtx 125/200 ,ts 125/200. don,t want to buy any expensive parts till i know it works ! thought about getting 2nd hand engine 125 dtr and then looking /searching for 200 top end,keep me out of mischief for a while. the 180 cc conversion is made by "athena", but looking on the webb,some kits require the crankcases to be clearanced with a dremel,in the hole obove the crank where the rod comes out. anybody with thoughts how to increase performance of 125 dtr ?

i was looking at the same Athena kit, its a 170cc kit and i think the barrel nikasil plated, which is expensive to rapair, but none the less it would be a good way to get a few more ponies, if jetted correctly, and maybe ported you will see 100mph!! i was going to send my barrell to Stan Stevens to port it but I think the 170 kit would be more reliable. the dt 200r/sdr 200 motor is completely different, I know someone with an sdr which is identical to the dt 200r and the crank and barrel/head are different, if you look inside the dt125 crank cases you will find that there is barely enough room for the stock crankshaft so that rules out a stroker kit, the crancase walls are too thin to machine. also the dt200r barrel has the intake manifold on the actual barel rather than having in coming in the crackcase behind the barrel like the 125.

hope this helps

• 2 years later...

I got a dtr 125 on a 2003 plate and its of the clock 85 on straghts up hill gets about 75-80 + dwn hill my mate followed in his golf had she reached 100 sooo its rapid but i wana 180 bore aswell to give it that extra power even tho i dnt realy need it because its frows me of the back already but iff u want to make it stupidly fast fit a yamaha 2strok yz 250 in ;)

I got a dtr 125 on a 2003 plate and its of the clock 85 on straghts up hill gets about 75-80 + dwn hill my mate followed in his golf had she reached 100 sooo its rapid but i wana 180 bore aswell to give it that extra power even tho i dnt realy need it because its frows me of the back already but iff u want to make it stupidly fast fit a yamaha 2strok yz 250 in ;)

Sat nav + video camera or 100 mph didn't happen.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online