Yamaha Zeal 1999

Lisandy
This post is 5469 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

I am the proud new owner of a 1999 Yamaha Zeal - first bike ever and I love it! Learning slowly and trying to build up confidence but this bike is way to easy to go fast on!! :lol:

I wondered if there was anyone else out there with a Zeal? Bike didn't come with handbook so would be interested in picking brains for any maintenance issues, like does the seat come off to access battery and if so, how?? :huh:

Look forward to hearing from you fellow bikers, far and wide!!

Cheers

Lisa :rolleyes:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oh and ... the Zeal is the Japo model .. as it is a Jap import via Australia :blink: , anyone know what they're called new down under??

Cheers,

L

• 1 month later...

Hi Lisa

There are a few Zeals here in the Uk, but only a few. I have one for my partner but at the moment its damaged, thats how we bought it.

Having trouble finding bits for it. Do you know of any owners clubs your end of the world, or any websites that cover it or that list hints and tips about them? I'm trying to find out whether there are any parts common to other models that may have been imported to the UK.

Cheers

Hugh.

• 2 months later...

Difficult to find much info on Net about this bike.

Engine is same or v.similar to another Jap import - the FZR250 but without the EXUP

Useful Specs can be found on:

http://my-x15.net/FZR_INFO.html

or

http://my-x15.net/fzr250/FZR250%20specs.pdf

and owner manual at:

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au (look under SUPPORT, and then OWNERS MANUALS)

or try

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0

Unfortunately not been able to track down a service manual - so if you find one in English.... please let me know.

Hope this helps you a little.

Tom

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, I'm new here and stumbled accross this page while searching for things about my bike. I have a 1991 zeal for a year now. People say getting spare parts isn't easy when you own such a rare bike, especially one thats 18 years old. Getting parts is not easy unless you do some research.

Luckily as far as the engine is concerned, I've had no problems. AFAIK the 3LN FZR250 engine is quite similar. I unfortunately found out recently that a previous owner of my bike had crashed it(i kinda assumed that), bent the forks in the crash and straightened them out, even though they were beyond safe repair. Luckily my mechanic sotted this though. There was a hairline fracture hidden under the triple clamps. So my quest began. At first I thought xjr400 parts should fit since most of the electrics are similar. Nope, it has 41mm stanchions. Then I hit the jackpot. The xj600. Loads of different parts from the xj600 are the same and so my bike soldiers on.

Have still to finda clutch cable though, at the moment I'm using a universal inner cable and the old outer and a front mudguard, using one from an aprilia rs125 at the moment.

Other modifications to my bike are:

Showa rear suspension from a honda cb400(needed bushings made for it to fit)

Renthal handlebars, ultra low rise

Really tempted to respray it yellow with the white and black yamaha stripe on it after seeing a rd350 ypvs done like it.

• 4 weeks later...

I unfortunately found out recently that a previous owner of my bike had crashed it(i kinda assumed that), bent the forks in the crash and straightened them out, even though they were beyond safe repair. Luckily my mechanic sotted this though. There was a hairline fracture hidden under the triple clamps. So my quest began. At first I thought xjr400 parts should fit since most of the electrics are similar. Nope, it has 41mm stanchions. Then I hit the jackpot. The xj600. Loads of different parts from the xj600 are the same and so my bike soldiers on.

Hi Fez. Are you saying that XJ600 forks are the same? Will they reuse the same brake disc and wheel? I believe there are two versions of the xj600, the early model and the diversion, which one do you mean?

Cheers

Hugh

• 1 month later...

I unfortunately found out recently that a previous owner of my bike had crashed it(i kinda assumed that), bent the forks in the crash and straightened them out, even though they were beyond safe repair. Luckily my mechanic sotted this though. There was a hairline fracture hidden under the triple clamps. So my quest began. At first I thought xjr400 parts should fit since most of the electrics are similar. Nope, it has 41mm stanchions. Then I hit the jackpot. The xj600. Loads of different parts from the xj600 are the same and so my bike soldiers on.

Hi Fez. Are you saying that XJ600 forks are the same? Will they reuse the same brake disc and wheel? I believe there are two versions of the xj600, the early model and the diversion, which one do you mean?

Cheers

Hugh

Sorry for only getting back to you now, I found a set of zeal forks in the end. The early model from the 80's and the earlier diversion(which has a single disc) both have 39mm(i think) stanchions which are the same as the zeal. Should be able to use the same disc and wheel, the wheel is the same size. PM me if you have any problems, I'd be glad to help.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online