TT600 wants to run when it wants to

death star
This post is 5894 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:( Hi everyone, need help please. Have a 83 TT600K that wants to run only when it has a mind to. Have been having trouble getting consistant spark at the plug. Right now I have no spark at all. Have replaced the pickup coils at the flywheel, previous owner had cobbled the mounting in the case half, had no clue where the gap was set and timing, could see where the flywheel had been hitting the magnetic tits so replaced with a ebay part that does test good as far as manual specs. Have also replaced CDI box with another ebay part, bike has not run yet with the replacement box since no spark. Do have approx 3-4 volts coming out of the orange lead to the coil when kicking over, but admittedly not a full kick since trying to keep an eye on the voltmeter at the same time. Checked coil and it did have out of spec resistance on the primary side. Replaced that with a brand new oem coil, just got that mounted today and still no spark. Have tested the plug cap and it's resistance is within spec, and yes the plug is good. Have tried to check spark with the kill switch disconnected and still no go. This is turning me suicidal...not really, but. The only thing I have not replaced is the flywheel itself but I do have a spare that I am considering trying, is it possible that over age it will lose it magnetism and I am not getting a consistent signal to the pickup coils? All wiring has continuity and connections appear clean and tight. This bike runs like a striped ass ape when it wants to run. Have way too much $ put into it already but now this is a matter of principle to me. Will do whatever it takes to make this right. Does anyone out there have any advise? Have read the service manual frontwards and back and nothing now is slapping me in the face. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanx Neil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:( Hi everyone, need help please. Have a 83 TT600K that wants to run only when it has a mind to. Have been having trouble getting consistant spark at the plug. Right now I have no spark at all. Have replaced the pickup coils at the flywheel, previous owner had cobbled the mounting in the case half, had no clue where the gap was set and timing, could see where the flywheel had been hitting the magnetic tits so replaced with a ebay part that does test good as far as manual specs. Have also replaced CDI box with another ebay part, bike has not run yet with the replacement box since no spark. Do have approx 3-4 volts coming out of the orange lead to the coil when kicking over, but admittedly not a full kick since trying to keep an eye on the voltmeter at the same time. Checked coil and it did have out of spec resistance on the primary side. Replaced that with a brand new oem coil, just got that mounted today and still no spark. Have tested the plug cap and it's resistance is within spec, and yes the plug is good. Have tried to check spark with the kill switch disconnected and still no go. This is turning me suicidal...not really, but. The only thing I have not replaced is the flywheel itself but I do have a spare that I am considering trying, is it possible that over age it will lose it magnetism and I am not getting a consistent signal to the pickup coils? All wiring has continuity and connections appear clean and tight. This bike runs like a striped ass ape when it wants to run. Have way too much $ put into it already but now this is a matter of principle to me. Will do whatever it takes to make this right. Does anyone out there have any advise? Have read the service manual frontwards and back and nothing now is slapping me in the face. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanx Neil

G,day Death star. You said that it has not run since you put the ebay sourced cdi box on. What happens if you put the old cdi on?

Cheers Ferg

G,day Death star. You said that it has not run since you put the ebay sourced cdi box on. What happens if you put the old cdi on?

Cheers Ferg

Ok, have spark now, in my ultimate wisdom had a wire hooked up wrong in loom for the CDI ground, sparks like a mother now. Still would'nt start tho so I went back and checked valve clearances again, they were ok and decided to check the decompression adjustment, it was way out so adjusted it and lo and behold the beast started on 7th kick ( still have to get the feel of the compression stroke) I saw a previous post somewhere about the importance of the decompression adjustment and I sure do believe it now. Next thing I noticed that when you crank the throttle I had what sounded like an exhaust leak. Noticed a puff of smoke coming from the head gasket, Does anyone know of a higher performance head gasket available for this thing? I put in a Wiseco 10.5:1 piston set when I did the top end and it apprears like the OEM gasket can't handle it. Oh well, it seems I'm intimately familiar with this engine now, should'nt take too long to replace this. Thank you for your input and as usual the most perplexing problems are a result of something stupidly simple. Live and learn man. Thanks again, Neil

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online