87 FZR1000 TOO old for Yamaha Dealer

Kurnai
This post is 5839 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

BOY, am I PISSED OFF, just rang the local dealer here in Townsville (Australia) ..TOWNSVILLE Moto-Sport YAMAHA

Only to be told by the (and I'll be nice) Lady ??? I spoke to that my pride & Joy is TOO old for them to work on :huh: .. :pissed-off::angry:

(Could have had something to do with the fact that I asked how long it would take to remove the fairings as I did NOT want to pay someone Aus $80 per hour to do it..) :bag: (Ned Kelly - BushRanger)

When is a bike consider by a YAMAHA Dealership to be TOO old for them to even Look at/Service/Tune up ???

and the piece (Female) on the phone was as arrogant and pretentious as Sadam on the trapdoor , "I'm Right, Always will be,- Your wrong always will be" type attitude. ...

I Know this group only has a few Australian members, BUT, if there is someone that can offer advice ...WHAT NOW ?? .. :praying:

Kurnai

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

second time ive seen a post like this, Id have to say its just poor handleing of relating the cost of the repair, to the value of the bike. guess they think us guys that ride old bike will walk away leaving the bike and the repair bill,

screw em! theres enough info on line to keep me rebuilding my own.

Id guess check around i know theres some motorheads down there that could help you. whatsit doing?

Not exactly doing anything wrong, just does NOT seem to "Feel " rights, besides just rode it back here from Sydney 2000 odd K's and I wanted it tuned up and serviced after 32 hours running, although there is a slight petrol fume smell after filling up, ( I HAD to fit in as much as I could on the trip some servo's are about a tank apart out here) .. also the clutch is not slipping or such, it just seems a little out of adjustment, long take up to engage.

Kurnai

Not exactly doing anything wrong, just does NOT seem to "Feel " rights, besides just rode it back here from Sydney 2000 odd K's and I wanted it tuned up and serviced after 32 hours running, although there is a slight petrol fume smell after filling up, ( I HAD to fit in as much as I could on the trip some servo's are about a tank apart out here) .. also the clutch is not slipping or such, it just seems a little out of adjustment, long take up to engage.

Kurnai

hate to say it but 87 is way to new for me to figure out! LOL. I do know the bike and they are sweet rides.

hate to say it but 87 is way to new for me to figure out! LOL. I do know the bike and they are sweet rides.

around here the dealers won't touch anything older than either 91 or 95 (can't remember which). Really annoying. Try to find an independent bike shop to help you out. Good luck.

Just got a reply from Yamaha Aust: QUOTE" All Yamaha dealers are required to provide after sales service to units irrespective of their age". UNQUOTE. :yay: :yay:

:praying: (Dear God YAMAHA MotorCyclists, PLEASE let this be the case elsewhere so that my friends can utilize this meager little fact to their benefit.) :praying:

I did not figure that my little Rant & Rave would have such a positive result, (for me anyway) ..Hope it is of use to others out there that have/had this problem..

Kurnai

• 3 weeks later...

Kurnai mate,

Its exactly the same over here in England.

If you haven't got the latest plastic rocket and a wad of notes hanging out of yer arse pocket they look down their nose at you.

I have a 1997 XJ600s divvy and I wouldn't take it to a Yamaha dealer even if you set a rottweiler on my knackers.

They ought to remember that once the warranty runs out you can take it anywhere.

I take mine to a little bike shop about three miles away, they strive to get parts in a few days, have reasonable service costs and above all are bloody nice folk.

My advice mate is take it to a non franchise dealer, they will be more grateful for the custom and probably treat you better.

All the best

7omly

• 4 weeks later...

I go to a Main Yamaha Dealer and they are really good. They do not turn any one away. They are more then happy to help.

If you can find a dealer you're happy with - well done you. I kept the Fazer six years and only had the first 'free' service done otherwise oil changes new plugs and filters were down to me, cable adjustments etc were no problem. I traded in & the dealer was surprised at the lack of service but still gave me a good trade in price. Took my chance with the warranty service requirement too :lol: Also theres probably a different attitude in Manchester dealers than Somerset ones!

Just got a reply from Yamaha Aust: QUOTE" All Yamaha dealers are required to provide after sales service to units irrespective of their age". UNQUOTE. :yay: :yay:

:praying: (Dear God YAMAHA MotorCyclists, PLEASE let this be the case elsewhere so that my friends can utilize this meager little fact to their benefit.) :praying:

I did not figure that my little Rant & Rave would have such a positive result, (for me anyway) ..Hope it is of use to others out there that have/had this problem..

Kurnai

DID you ever manage to get a set of crash bungs in Oz?

I have taken my R1 to the main dealer Yamaha in Woking, Surrey.

I have never had any problems with them....well the parts dept had ordered the wrong part for me once but thats about it.

They are always helpful, even when they are very busy.

I have taken my R1 to the main dealer Yamaha in Woking, Surrey.

I have never had any problems with them....well the parts dept had ordered the wrong part for me once but thats about it.

They are always helpful, even when they are very busy.

Likewise for me. Although no longer in the area, I still take my bikes to the Faversham dealer I used when I lived in Kent. Tony, the owner, is a real bike enthusiast and loves bikes new and old. The sales team are sound as are the guys in the workshop. They've sold me bikes, serviced them at reasonable rates and done the occasional freebie (straightening a wheel, locating a spare alarm magnet, etc) with no quibbles. I think that, in this case at least, there has been a good relationship built up over the years and, although there are dealers located nearer to me, I'm happy to maintain that good relationship. They'll certainly get my vote in the next Rider Power survey.