What's your R6 MPG?!?

eyedee
This post is 5691 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest Exupnutta

This may be a silly question but I'm not petrol expert :).

I've currently got 95 in the tank. If I put 98 next time, will the fact that the two mix a bit be problematic or does it not matter? Cheers.

It won't matter unless you put Diesel in :lol:

Just run it as low as you can (without running it dry) and top it up to the brim with Super Unleaded :D

Also, adding in some INJECTOR CLEANER every few thousand miles DOES help MPG (READ the bottle though, you might only need to put a BIT in, as a bottle does 50-60 liters). With current fuel prices, a VERY worthwhile investment in my book. You will also notice an improved throttle response :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've just done a little experiment. I've been using Super Unleaded to see if:

a. I could tell the difference under normal conditions.

b. There was an improvement in fuel economy.

My normal ride is a daily commute of 16 miles cross country on B roads followed by 10 miles on the motorway and the last mile or so in city traffic. Speeds are progressive but sensible. Overall, as I know the route well it is as repeatable as you will get in the real world.

Having purged the tank of normal unleaded by refilling 3 times with super I then brimmed the tank and concentrated on how the bike felt running 99 RON unleaded instead of the normal 95 RON stuff I had been using. Conclusion - absolutely no difference. At the pumps - absolutely no difference, just over 58 to the gallon on normal and just over 58 to the gallon on super.

Ultimate conclusion - for my bike, on my normal route with my riding style super provides no noticeable gain in smoothness or performance and no improvement in economy and is not worth the extra money.

By the way - on the last tank of normal unleaded I bottled out and filled up after 223.5 miles with still half a gallon left in the tank!

I've just done a little experiment. I've been using Super Unleaded to see if:

a. I could tell the difference under normal conditions.

b. There was an improvement in fuel economy.

My normal ride is a daily commute of 16 miles cross country on B roads followed by 10 miles on the motorway and the last mile or so in city traffic. Speeds are progressive but sensible. Overall, as I know the route well it is as repeatable as you will get in the real world.

Having purged the tank of normal unleaded by refilling 3 times with super I then brimmed the tank and concentrated on how the bike felt running 99 RON unleaded instead of the normal 95 RON stuff I had been using. Conclusion - absolutely no difference. At the pumps - absolutely no difference, just over 58 to the gallon on normal and just over 58 to the gallon on super.

Ultimate conclusion - for my bike, on my normal route with my riding style super provides no noticeable gain in smoothness or performance and no improvement in economy and is not worth the extra money.

By the way - on the last tank of normal unleaded I bottled out and filled up after 223.5 miles with still half a gallon left in the tank!

Interesting conclusion, I get 110 miles before my light comes on when riden normal from 95RON. On 98 RON I get 130 miles before the light. This is using a bored out ZZR1100 to 1260 cc with a few engine upgrades and the usual straight through end can with a 19 Litre tank. If I put a standard can on, I get 100 miles on 95 Ron and only 120 miles on 98 Ron. Im not too bothered about my MPG, I just fill to the brim and go, but its an interesting thing to look at.

My mates Standard zzr1200 used a full tank of petrol in 15 minutes, well he was going 160mph+ for most of that time.... :blink: