the V star 1300 rocks

Snake
This post is 5460 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently upgraded from a v star 1100 to a v star 1300 and I am sooo happy. I have seen this bike being slated by 1100 riders based purely on it's looks, but I think it is just them being anal. If you thought like me that an extra 200cc can't make much difference, think again, this combine with the EFI gives it a shedload more power and a better fell. Don't diss it till you have ridden it.

If you are thinking of buying one, read my review here

The only thing I would say as that I do still feel that my 1100 looked cooler, but that is nothing a feww after market extras can't fix.

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have recently upgraded from a v star 1100 to a v star 1300 and I am sooo happy. I have seen this bike being slated by 1100 riders based purely on it's looks, but I think it is just them being anal. If you thought like me that an extra 200cc can't make much difference, think again, this combine with the EFI gives it a shedload more power and a better fell. Don't diss it till you have ridden it.

If you are thinking of buying one, read my review here

The only thing I would say as that I do still feel that my 1100 looked cooler, but that is nothing a feww after market extras can't fix.

I agree 100%. The performance of my 1300 is in a different class than the 1100. But the looks are odd at best. I'm also wondering why they put this bike in the V-Star family when its different in so many ways. I guess the fact that they are now calling the 250 Virago a V Star too isn't surprising. I just rolled 18,500 miles as of yesterday. It has a few issues (wind buffeting from around the fuel tank is at the top of my list) but still an amazing bike.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1300 is my daily driver or rider I should say. It has been flawless for the last 6 months. This big bike is smooth, wide, low and VERY stable. The 45mpg is pretty good too.

As far as power, I think it should have more but is uses the power it has very well up to about 80mph. I suppose I crave the acceleration of the R6 but not the comfort. I would have sprung for the warrior if it had of been liquid cooled. I can't ride in Houston traffic without liquid cooling. As it is, there is only a handfull of HD's can can keep up.

I haven't ridden the 1100 so I would probalby be disapointed with the power. At any rate, once she is paid off, I will throw down for pipes, air cleaner and a programmer to wake her up a bit. I have read that you can squeeze out another 20-25 hp out of her and that would really make it fun.

hey V,

Have you had any problems with the Ethanol fuel yet? When I rode my 1300 to Houston last August I was steamed about the 10% ethanol requirement. The dealership there (Sugarland area) said they're kept busy with gasket replacements and gummed up carbs (not a problem for our FI bikes), but the gasket problem sounds expensive. I know the manual says nothing over 10%, but I think it also said not to use ethanol for extended periods.

Also, I spoke with the Yamaha factory reps at Daytona earlier this month. They said that the straight pipes would increase take off slightly, but I would lose top-end torque and the heads would eventually scorch. Since I've ridden nearly 20K miles already I'm sure I would encounter those eventual problems sooner than later. I have heard the shotgun pipes on the 1300 and it sounded so good I'm sure my HD riding friends would be pissed.

Hi guys, I am brand new here, but not new to bikes. I have a brand V-star 1300 in the Garage. The wife got it for me for our 10th aniversary...Yes she is a great wife!! We still have snow here in Toronto Canada. I cant wait to take her out.

Hi guys, I am brand new here, but not new to bikes. I have a brand V-star 1300 in the Garage. The wife got it for me for our 10th aniversary...Yes she is a great wife!! We still have snow here in Toronto Canada. I cant wait to take her out.

A bike in the garage and you CAN'T ride it?! Ouch. Thats torture just reading about it. The last time I let a day go by without riding it was in 19, ah, I can't remember.

A bike in the garage and you CAN'T ride it?! Ouch. Thats torture just reading about it. The last time I let a day go by without riding it was in 19, ah, I can't remember.

Tell me about it!! I am going nuts. I may be able to take her out for a ride tomorrow....weather permitting of course <_<

Tell me about it!! I am going nuts. I may be able to take her out for a ride tomorrow....weather permitting of course <_<

The mercury outside was hovering around 89 yesterday. I put 250 more miles on mine. :tounge:

The mercury outside was hovering around 89 yesterday. I put 250 more miles on mine. :tounge:

Ya, Ya rub it in why dont you :rolleyes:

It got up to steamy 30 Def F today, so I said to heck with it and put a staggering 15 miles on the new bike before my hands got numb. Its a sweet ride. I ll have to get used to the tall gearing on it. I dont want to rev her up to high before i break her in. At what speed do you guys shift gears at?. I beleave that the shift points the owners manual recamends are way to soon. I like to rev them up a bit higher than that.

If there isn't any ice on the ground, ride it! I ride to work five days a week (20 miles one-way) all year long. At least a half-dozen times this winter the temp dropped down into the mid 20s. The liners for my gauntlets don't work completely, but help for a few miles. Also remember-they don't sell cold weather gear down here. Just leathers. Or in the alternative, haul it down south for a weekend. I would never put my bike on a trailer, but up in Freezerland, I mean, Canada you have an excuse. B)

p/body me old mate ;) U ARE A LUCKY BASTARDO. [ like my italian] BE COOL :D

• 2 months later...

If there isn't any ice on the ground, ride it! I ride to work five days a week (20 miles one-way) all year long. At least a half-dozen times this winter the temp dropped down into the mid 20s. The liners for my gauntlets don't work completely, but help for a few miles. Also remember-they don't sell cold weather gear down here. Just leathers. Or in the alternative, haul it down south for a weekend. I would never put my bike on a trailer, but up in Freezerland, I mean, Canada you have an excuse. B)

Hi all! I'm new here to this forum. I Finally sold my 81' kaw Kz 1300. And i now ride the v star 1300. MAN, am I happy with the change. My v star is soooooo MUCH SMOooOOOOther. ( not to mention it don't break down on almost every ride). I ride my bike 32 miles one way each day to work. I bought my 1300 2 weeks ago and just can't keep my butt of of the seat. I've already put over 1500 miles on it!! I REALLY LIKE THIS BIKE! It doesn't have the brute power that the kaw 1300 did, but it has the torque more like a diesel. My first extra will be putting a luggage rack on it. (have to put my lunch box and hard hat somewhere), and they won't fit into the saddle bags. Any one have any suggestions on where to look or who has a decient price? thanks, Ken

Hi Guys,

Any of you "moded" the exhaust?.... I saw on another forum about drilling out the center section to get some more noise. I was very apprehensive about taking a drill to my brand new bike, but yesterday I took a chance and drilled away! What a difference, not offensive but much better than the standard sound, a nice deep rumble, with a bit of a bark when you open her up. I can thoroughly recommend it!

32mm hole saw and an 300mm extension, five minutes with a drill, an hey presto!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm off for a ride!

Stu

Hi Guys,

Any of you "moded" the exhaust?.... I saw on another forum about drilling out the center section to get some more noise. I was very apprehensive about taking a drill to my brand new bike, but yesterday I took a chance and drilled away! What a difference, not offensive but much better than the standard sound, a nice deep rumble, with a bit of a bark when you open her up. I can thoroughly recommend it!

I'm off for a ride!

Stu

Yes I have been following the posts there. Have you noticed a difference in the performance, fuel economy, etc? a couple of the posts have mentioned installing a Cobra FI 2000 fuel processor, and thoughts about this ? thanks, ken

Yes I have been following the posts there. Have you noticed a difference in the performance, fuel economy, etc? a couple of the posts have mentioned installing a Cobra FI 2000 fuel processor, and thoughts about this ? thanks, ken

Hi Ya,

Nope if I'm honest, I wouldn't have said it made any difference to either fuel or performace... expect I rev up at the lights a bit more to hear the growl :rolleyes:

I also tried taking of the air box cover and running with the air filter exposed... again this made an even better sound, and maybe made it run a tiny bit smoother, but again it could just have been my imagination! For know I'm not drilling <_<

I also have seen the Cobra posts, and hey maybe it will give you a few more horses and maybe a few more miles to the gallon, but hey, I don't need to go any faster, and as for economy, even with petrol prices as high as they are, I guess you would need to do many 1000's of miles to recoup the cost.

So I'm spending my cash of shiny bits, the wife thinks I'm mad so far I have a screen, a sissy bar rack and radiator cover... I just fitted a pair of pace car strobes under the fake cover on the LHS, so now I have a red flash emitting in between the cyliders.... I'm really to old but what the hell :lol:

All the best

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just got some cobra speedsters and FI2000 installed and jeez are they loud. It sounds great, but very loud. I may have to get some new baffles to quieten it down a bit.

There is a definite improvement in the low end, more torque and you can do lower speeds in higher gears, and higher speeds in lower gears and don't have to grab that clutch so quickly when slowing down.

There is however a loss of power in the high end at motorway speeds, once you hit 70mph it definitely takes longer to get up speed. With the stock pipes I had this baby at 100mph with still more to go, after installing the cobras I was at full throttle at 100mph. This is probably no big deal really as I am not a speed demon and I rarely exceed 80mph anyway.

i am going to tweak the FI2000 a bit and see if things change.

I also did the airbox mod and noticed no difference what so ever.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older post but I figured I'd pipe in here. I have an 07 1300 Tourer that I bought new in late April this year. Left over model but out the door including all taxes and fees I was well under $9500 so it was a deal to hard to pass on. It is quite an improvement over my 07 1100 that it replaced.

Anyway, I have done the exhaust mod and it is an improvement. I have slightly better low end but the high end has suffered some. I can still hit 100+ if I want to with ease but at 700 miles with the un-modded exhaust I hit almost 130mph on it once. I last looked at the speedo at 125 then I looked back to see if my buddy on his RoadGlide was still with me. He couldn't hang so I let off and hit the brake. 2 seconds later Red and Blues were shining. 94 in a 55 and he knew I was slowing down. I know all the lectures and I am old enough to know better but I had to show up that Harley.

I now have 9000 on it and plan on keeping it on the road all winter. (I'm in Ohio) No ice = ride time. I have a few minor complaints but so far so good. My wife rides with me a lot so she wants a more comfortable seat. She managed the ride from home (near Dayton, OH) to Pigeon Forge and our visit to Deals Gap a few months ago but she deserves more comfort than the stock pillion provides. I also do not like the handle bars too well and I am considering the RSTD swap. I also wish there were more aftermarket products but in time I guess that will come.

I have not yet done the airbox mod but I will soon. The intake air is drawn in across the hottest part of the engine so I can see the benefit of allowing cooler air into the intake. I also want to figure out the mod to lay down the plate in back but I am having trouble finding a good how to. If anyone has one, post it for me. ;-)

Besides the exhaust mod, to date I have de-badged the tank and airbox. I get a lot of comments on the smooth look of the bike without the stripe on the tank. I have added Kuryakyn iso grips, heel and toe shifter covers, and brake pedal cover. I installed lots of blue led pods and lights which I really like. Lots more on the way though.

To protect the finish I applied Xzilon X6 http://www.xzilon.com to the paint and their Leather and vinyl protectant to the seats and saddle bags. That is some amazing stuff.

I'm gonna join in and refute the 1300, as well as the 1900 and all it's offspring.

Looks may well be the only thing wrong with it, but for some of us it's a big factor.

Generally, you get a Cruiser for the looks, even if it's only a secondary factor (I got mine mostly because it's the only one that fit).

I got my 650 Drag Custom because it had that retro thing.

I don't like the Classics and all the new Yammie Cruisers have too much Classic for my tastes. It'd take a lot of aftermarket modding to look how I'd like.

So yeah - Looks do matter with this stuff.

Yam have stopped doing Customs, it seems. Certainly there's too much modern styling and 'streamlined, flowing lines' babble in the brochures for my tastes. A few fellow Star owners seem to feel the same way....

Horses for courses, really.

I'll not be buying one, though.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

Hi Guys,,new to this ,,just got a 09 1300 v star last week,,drilled out the pipe with a 1 1/8 hole saw. took about 2 min. worth it...now has a nice soud better than stock...later....

I'm off for a ride!

Stu

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online