Tyre Advice ?

k3nw00d
This post is 5920 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright Folks !

I am after a bit of advice on tyres.

I have a Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 ABS with the following wheel sizes :

Front - 120/70/17

Rear - 180/55/17

The tyres that came on it are Dunlop Sportmax D252 & D252F.........Are these tyres any good for all round weather / commuting etc. or is there something better that you guys/gals would recommend.

I have been told that Michelin Road Pilot 2's are meant to be good but thought I would get the opinion of yourselves.

I am basically after something for commuting in all weathers (not so much of the ice and snow though), so need something that is good in wet and dry.

Also, do you know of any online shops for getting them slightly cheaper or is there somewhere else you can recommend ?

All help greatly appreciated !

Cheers very much in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

michelin pilot spots or the others with the dual compounds are my faves. nice hard compound down the middle for commuting and a softer grippy outer edge for cornering. wet handling is as good as many others in the dry and dry handling well lets say you will wimp out before the tyre give up.

Hi matey. Yes the dual compound tyre is a good choice, had one on the back for last 10,000 miles, (two months), not mega in the wet, but not shabby really. All tyres have to have a certain grade before they are realised to the public. Others ive used are Conti sport attack, not too bad,even in the snow as I found out today when I went bike sledging, ive one on the front, they come 2nd rated tyre in the wet, even tho they arnt supposed to be a true wet tyre. Ive used Avon storm sts as well, plenty of rubber on them to start with, ive done around 30,000 miles on that type of tyre in last years summer,from June to October, they start to square off after 2,500 miles ish, very grippy wet and dry, but once they start to run down, seem to wear faster. The best combo I had was the dual comp Mich. on the back and an Avon on the front. People say you shouldnt mix tyres, and yes they may be right, but as I said earlier, they all pass certain standard before we get them. And its really up to you, a personal choice, what you plan to spend and what otherpeople recommend. As for buying them online. . . I prefer to ride in ride out, not that expensive, and tyres are similair in price mostly everywhere, online. . .no comebacks once fitted. . . Good luck. Hope i havnt prattled on too much. B)