Thundercat Neutral light will not go out

HairyBiker
This post is 5904 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

At the weekend, I fitted a 'cheap' aftermarket alarm to my 98 Thundercat, as soon as I put power to the Alarm the problems started. It would arm itself then go off and when it went off it would blow the 30amp Main fuse on the Starter Relay. After checking the wiring diagram and 3 more fuses, i realised it was time to remove it and give up.

However now I have a neutral light which stays on.

I went out this morning and got a new Neutral switch and changed it, but this made no difference.

Can anyone out there give me any pointers??

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

right I've got the wiring diagram in front of me now.

Coming out of the Ignition switch you've got a brown/blue wire that should be positive, this then routes through the Turn Signal fuse (amongst others, but it's the turn signal that it routes to the Neutral light), then throught the Neutral indicator light, then through a diode (no further info on that though) and to the Neutral Switch direct to earth, however between the diode and the neutral switch it branches off to the Starting Circuit Cut off relay.

This must mean that the fuse is OK that powers the light, and that somewhere it's picking up an earth after the bulb, and there only seems to be one place that can come from (starter circuit cut off relay), unless you've melted some wires that are either earthing though themselves or have earthed on the chassis.

It's going to be a bit of a tedious to solve this one but it should be relatively easy.

Things to test ... does the light stay on when you remove the wire the screws on to the Neutral switch and making sure it doesn't earth on the chasis etc? ...... If it does stay on then then you need to trace the wire from the neutral switch to the back of the instrument panel.

If you know someone else who's got a Thundercat you could try swapping the Starter circuit cut off relay to see if this is the cause of the problem. Otherwise go through all the steps then get hold of a 2nd hand unit from a scrappy or ebay and try swapping them over, Not guaranteed but a possibilty of the culprit.

right I've got the wiring diagram in front of me now.

Coming out of the Ignition switch you've got a brown/blue wire that should be positive, this then routes through the Turn Signal fuse (amongst others, but it's the turn signal that it routes to the Neutral light), then throught the Neutral indicator light, then through a diode (no further info on that though) and to the Neutral Switch direct to earth, however between the diode and the neutral switch it branches off to the Starting Circuit Cut off relay.

This must mean that the fuse is OK that powers the light, and that somewhere it's picking up an earth after the bulb, and there only seems to be one place that can come from (starter circuit cut off relay), unless you've melted some wires that are either earthing though themselves or have earthed on the chassis.

It's going to be a bit of a tedious to solve this one but it should be relatively easy.

Things to test ... does the light stay on when you remove the wire the screws on to the Neutral switch and making sure it doesn't earth on the chasis etc? ...... If it does stay on then then you need to trace the wire from the neutral switch to the back of the instrument panel.

If you know someone else who's got a Thundercat you could try swapping the Starter circuit cut off relay to see if this is the cause of the problem. Otherwise go through all the steps then get hold of a 2nd hand unit from a scrappy or ebay and try swapping them over, Not guaranteed but a possibilty of the culprit.

Hi ya,

Thanks a bunch for that.

I will try all what you have said and try to locate a starter ciruit cut off relay.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Dave

The starter cut off relay is under the seat, if you lift the seat and stand on the left of the bike (seat lock side anyway), then you'll see the battery and then going towards the rear there's the negative cable block, and then the next item is the Start cut off relay (markins will be 81950-00 (amongst other markings). with the turn signal behind that.

If you have a multimeter with a continuity tester on you can put the positive probe on to the green wire (this is the earth wire that leads towards the joint to the Neutral switch) and the negative probe to the blue/white wire ... There should be continuity, now reverse the probes and there shouldn't be continuity, if there is then it's feeding an earth back into the Neutral light.

This sounds like the most likely cause of your problem to me.

The starter cut off relay is under the seat, if you lift the seat and stand on the left of the bike (seat lock side anyway), then you'll see the battery and then going towards the rear there's the negative cable block, and then the next item is the Start cut off relay (markins will be 81950-00 (amongst other markings). with the turn signal behind that.

If you have a multimeter with a continuity tester on you can put the positive probe on to the green wire (this is the earth wire that leads towards the joint to the Neutral switch) and the negative probe to the blue/white wire ... There should be continuity, now reverse the probes and there shouldn't be continuity, if there is then it's feeding an earth back into the Neutral light.

This sounds like the most likely cause of your problem to me.

Hi chrisw

Just to let you know that thanks to your help, I have located the problem to the Starter Cut-off Relay.

Thanks for all your help!!!