Bike tests

skinjob
This post is 5676 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello another aging newbie here.

After 20 years as a car driver I've decided to get a bike at the tender age of 38. After doing my CBT (1st time ever on a bike) it was clear to me that 20+ years as a car driver caused problems with the brain to hand & foot messages. So I've resigned myself to the fact I'm going to have to be a learner for a while & bought myself a ybr125.

A question then for uk bikers (or from anywhere in the world with a knowledge of the answer to the question I'm going to ask). If I do my standard bike test in the next couple of months will I still be entitled to ride any bike in 2 years time or will the changes in October mean I have to do another seperate test. I could go straight for direct access but it's more costly & I would imagine it's better to a test on the bike you know. I've searched the net but can't find an answer, anybody help?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi.......and welcome aboard.

All the information on the link but to summarize:

For a youngster such as yourself if by 'standard' you mean Big Bike then there is no restriction after you pass - if you meant A2 then you would be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, you will not be affected by the new regs if you take and pass a test before October 2008.

As a biker who is starting out it is a good idea to get as much experience as you can on the road on a 125, and while a car driver for 20+ years may cause some initial coordination issues - the traffic experience you no doubt have is invaluable.

Ride safe.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for that. I think I can put up with being restricted for 2 years if it makes things cheaper as I have to justify it to the bank manager (wife)

Thanks for that. I think I can put up with being restricted for 2 years if it makes things cheaper as I have to justify it to the bank manager (wife)

sometimes doesnt work out cheaper if you r goin to restict a bike tho, the restricter kits are about £150, but obv you dont have to have a 125 resticted

Hi there, skinjob I find myself in exactly the same position as you I also have been driving for almost 20 years and the wife got me a CBT for xmas which I took and passed in early jan, I also went out and picked up a YBR125 the next day for experiance before I do the DAS (which is booked as I have just passed the bike theory) in Feb :)

I too had problems initially when doing the CBT with coordination but after driving the 125 to work and back now for a few weeks I am starting to find it quiet natural with the brakes and gears, not perfect yet by a long way but coming along in leaps and bounds.

The bank Manager (wife) is very supportive of me and is encouraging me to the the DAS so she can get on the back with me, already bought herself a helmet :o

Good luck with your test and riding!!

Ade

• 7 months later...

Woa, thought I was unique...

34yr old, 17yr behind the wheel...

Wanted a bike when 16-17 but mother said I'd better save up and get a house first!!!

Since then there's always been something in the way.

Wife is not keen but is supportive.

Finally managed to justify it, with fuel prices so high, figured out that just on commute the fuel saved will actually pay the finance on the bike!!! Yay!!!

Doing my CBT on Thursday, got YBR125 on order for Friday/Saturday...

Can't wait I'm just giddy with excitement...

I'm thinking I'll stick on CBT for 18months then do a theory and then go for the test...

Can't decide with to go for standard test, direct access, nor can I decide whether to just go for it or go to the expense of doing an intensive course culminating in a test? Opinions? (I guess I've got a while to decide)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online