Law On Motorbikes?

jace
This post is 5843 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Please could someone tell me what cc you can drive up to when you are 17 and 18?

Nice forum you have here!

Thanks,Jason

125cc

You can do your CBT and be restricted to a 125cc, but not to sure wot bhp. But its not much.

If you do your normal test your restricted to 33bhp, regardless of the size of the bike for 2 years.

Or you can do a direct access and ride anything. (I dont think you can do this under 21 though?!)

I think thats about right.

Your best bet is look on the DVLA website. Its all there! :D

soz never ment to put direct access. fingers were typing brain was watching telly. ment just your full test. but would be restricted for 2 years or until you hit 21 whichever is sooner.

NOTE - the bike test setup changes sept 2008. your no longer going to be able to pass and ride anything!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mate.

Just returned to biking after before you were born when restrictions did not apply - had a 250 Kwacker S1 that would top 110mph, so I never bothered with my test.

Upon return I have had to do my CBT, which permits me to ride a bike (XVS125) of less than 125cc and under 11.5kW power (1bhp = 0.75kW)

As I am(considerably) over 21, I will be taking Direct Access to ride a bike of any size (aiming for an XVS650).

You will not be able to do D/A, so get a good 125 to pass your test on and have it de-restricted after - there are several on the market that have absurd performance for such a small swept volume. You cannot exceed 33bhp for two years after passing your test, but then you can ride what you want (how the fuck this works, I don't know. You spend two years tooling around on a restricted R1 at 33bhp, then you are magically capable of controlling the same machine with 175bhp just 730 days later?).

Whatever you do, do it before the first of October, when the Nu Labia Nannies will require you to build a GP-Moto from Lego, run the standing quarter at Santa Pod on a step-thru in less than nine seconds and ride up Ben Nevis on a disability scooter.

Enjoy life on two wheels - I wonder why I ever gave it up... ;)

Shoot, I'm 18 and I am legally allowed to ride anything I can afford. I have my motorcycle license, and that's all I need. I ride a 600cc 2001 Yamaha R6, but still I guess the law is different in different areas of the world. I'm in Florida in the U.S. so it may be a bit different where you are. Check with your local DMV.

....................ahhhhhhhh Vitae but you don't live in the nanny state UK where soon cotton wool suits will be compulsorary on the street!

Yeah check it out on the DSA/DVLA site all the info is there.

Like Aquila I started out when you could ride up to 250cc on L plates and the test comprised of riding round the block a couple of times while the examiner watched!

Ride safe.

:rolleyes:

....................ahhhhhhhh Vitae but you don't live in the nanny state UK where soon cotton wool suits will be compulsorary on the street!

Yeah check it out on the DSA/DVLA site all the info is there.

Like Aquila I started out when you could ride up to 250cc on L plates and the test comprised of riding round the block a couple of times while the examiner watched!

Ride safe.

:rolleyes:

You know the greatest travesty Foz? The new regs will encourage even more kids to ride illegally, but that will be OK, cos when you are a Scrote, you have more rights than the likes of us that try to do everything by the book in this fucked-up nation we are part of...

Does yer old heart good, don't it?

You know the greatest travesty Foz? The new regs will encourage even more kids to ride illegally, but that will be OK, cos when you are a Scrote, you have more rights than the likes of us that try to do everything by the book in this fucked-up nation we are part of...

Does yer old heart good, don't it?

......................Just don't get me started!!!!!!! What is it pray tell in the time of 'Global Warming' and 'Carbon footprints' that this and most other f******** governments have got against us bikers??? You'd have thought they would be encouraging us to get on our bikes! (Not that I need much with the price of fuel!!!)

:angry:

......................Just don't get me started!!!!!!! What is it pray tell in the time of 'Global Warming' and 'Carbon footprints' that this and most other f******** governments have got against us bikers??? You'd have thought they would be encouraging us to get on our bikes! (Not that I need much with the price of fuel!!!)

:angry:

My bike kicks out 35g of CO2 per kilometre and I breathe out 400kg per year, along with the six billion others of us on this planet. The whole thing is a scam - it is pure Human arrogance to believe that we have any sway whatsoever on our climate. You dropping your 'carbon footprint' has the same effect as farting at a tornado to stop it flattening your house. It's all a tax excuse to raise revenue for this piss-poor Treasury. I have spent many hours researching the truth behind the politics of fear and have come to three conclusions:-

If climate change is man-made, why can its effects be recorded on Mars, Jupiter and Saturn?

One volcanic eruption (Popacatapetl, July 2004) chucked out 15 month's worth of human CO2 in 75 minutes

For three fifths of the Earth's existence, it has not had Polar ice caps

I have plenty of other evidence for Governmental Extortion, too many to enter in here...

There are Lies, Damnable Lies and Government Statistics :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

i think having your bike restricted to 33bhp is probally a good idea...becuase someone having just passed....is alot of power agreed?

but when the test changes in september it doesnt look nice :S so if people havnt passed, i would try and get it done asap

im not quite sure what is going to be involved in the test when it changes, guess we will find out in september.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. Before I was old enough to drive, the DMV in Florida would ask you if you wanted the motorcycle endorsement also. If your answer was yes, they just added it on. Vast numbers of fatalities put an end to that. There isn't a limit on the size of your bike (can you get a Boss Hoss in Europe?). The only limit, which Vitai should know about is the helmet law. He's not old enough, but if your over 21, have full insurance on your bike and a minimum of $10,000 of medical insurance, you can ride without a helmet.

Interesting. Before I was old enough to drive, the DMV in Florida would ask you if you wanted the motorcycle endorsement also. If your answer was yes, they just added it on. Vast numbers of fatalities put an end to that. There isn't a limit on the size of your bike (can you get a Boss Hoss in Europe?). The only limit, which Vitai should know about is the helmet law. He's not old enough, but if your over 21, have full insurance on your bike and a minimum of $10,000 of medical insurance, you can ride without a helmet.

The man with no brain had medical insurance, but no helmet. He didn't need medical insurance to pay out anything when his brain came out.

The man with no brain had medical insurance, but no helmet. He didn't need medical insurance to pay out anything when his brain came out.

Believe it or not, there is some logic to the 10K. The fatality rate for helmeted riders is about 70%. So helmet or not, there isn't much of a chance for survival. The choices are open or closed casket ceremonies. The average medical bill for a non-helmeted rider is about $9,800 more than the rider who wore a brain bucket. The medical insurance requirement is just to cover the added cost of your recklessness without handing the burden to the taxpayers.

So many riders have been caught riding without a lid and not meeting the age requirement that Florida changed the license plates for motorcycles. If your 16-20 your plate is white with red letters and "under 21" below the plate number.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online