Hearing Protection

jrhendryx
This post is 5957 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ear Plug Use  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use ear protection when riding?

• Every time I get on the bike
    • Most of the time
    • About half the time
    • Some of the time
    • Never

I never use hearing protection other than my helmet, and I was wondering how the rest of you treat this issue.

The people here seem to be worse drivers on average than I have ever had to deal with, so I want to be able to hear whats going on around me more clearly. My bike is pretty loud though, and I am sure that my hearing is being damaged at least a little.

So, how often do you use hearing protection? Have you noticed that plugs make you miss anything?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So far I have never used them. I only passed my test in the summer so was a bit worried about either not hearing the traffic or not hearing any odd bike sounds if something was going wrong.

However, my issue of Bike turned up yesterday and there's an article in there which has made me change my mind. I've noticed that the only sound which seems really loud is the wind and according to the article, it is this which makes you go deaf eventually so I'll be investing in some ear plugs.

My bike is pretty quiet so that's not a problem.

Thanks

Mark

I never use hearing protection other than my helmet, and I was wondering how the rest of you treat this issue.

The people here seem to be worse drivers on average than I have ever had to deal with, so I want to be able to hear whats going on around me more clearly. My bike is pretty loud though, and I am sure that my hearing is being damaged at least a little.

So, how often do you use hearing protection? Have you noticed that plugs make you miss anything?

I have used ear plugs for the last 25 years.....It isn't how loud the bike is , it's the wind noise that does the damage ( and your head in ) I have top of the range Shoei helmet & used Arai & A G V and constantly doing 90mph + the noise is terrible....cann't spell Horendouse ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, as a training acoustic engineer all I can say is get ear plugs ASAP. You are looking at noise levels of around 100db (SPL for the technically minded) which after even small amounts of exposure to will damage you hearing. You can expect to get high tone deafness that means in extreme cases you will find is hard to understand different accents especially over phones. At the very least you will get tinnitus.

Please please look after your hearing it will worsen with age normally don't make matters worse.

Regards