first bike

Ben Setter
This post is 5968 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Just wanted to know your opinion really. I want to buy my first proper bike and am interested in the FZ6. im looking at a 2006 model for around £3500. Is this a good bike for a newbie like me.

Ay help would be great

Cheers

Ben

Depends on where you are and your age. It's a very good alrounder. A new buy at the moment would be about £4500.

I live in basingstoke. I AM 22 years old. Is it worth buying new??????

If you can do a deal you should be able to get it at the above price or there abouts. Since you are 22 you will be able to ride it de-restricted, thats what I meant by age and where you were.

The FZ6 or Fazer version is a good buy for starting out. I cannot say whether buying new is best, it depends whats available second hand.

New is almost never good for anyone. It's always worth buying used.

Just curious but don't the FZ6s have the R6 motor? If so then I'm not sure that would be a great bike to start on becuase the R6s are pretty fast. I know the FZ1s are that way and that'd be stupid fast.

Which I was going to purchase a new FZ6 through Yamaha's First Time Buyers program. But they wanted a 21% interest and I was screw them. On top of my insurance around $200 a month(With 1 speeding ticket from 2years ago). Also the sales rep said it was a R6 motor.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between American and European models.

• 2 weeks later...

It ain't about what you're about to ride young bro..it's about how you're going to cut you're teeth, rack up your survival skills and hone your two wheeled edge.

I passed my test and-for reasons more to with the contents of my piggie bank than wishes- I could just about afford an old Honda CB500T from a mate. If you've never heard of it, Google it and you'll understand when I say 'Jurassic' classic!

Let me tell you, however, that I rode the ass of that old bucket, rode it in fact way beyond its design capability and of course mine at the time..but I sure learned how to ride, both into and then out of all kinds of trouble on it!

My 'coming of age and road craft' moment eventually came, I guess, when rippin' the shit (as much as you can on such an old heap) out of the Isle of Man TT circuit one sunny 'mad Sunday'. A group of five of the then latest hotshot bikes- GPZ900's- were lining up on a sharp right hand corner when along I came on the 500T, rode right on past them, late (single disc) braked to perfection and got on back on the tap and out of the exit way ahead of them!!

Of course, these big bore hero types blew me into the grass verge and became dots in the distance mere seconds later naturally enough, but that didn't alter the fact that I'd gloriously stuffed them whilst on an old nail of a bike.

The fact is though that I managed to pull that particular moment off simply because I'd learned how to push the edge with hard and well earned road experience on an ancient middle of the road plodder.

The moral of this ripping yarn (for what it's worth) is take your time and learn how to ride the edge on your own terms before you choose a weapon that'll take you to it before you're ready to be there :)

Hi

Just wanted to know your opinion really. I want to buy my first proper bike and am interested in the FZ6. im looking at a 2006 model for around £3500. Is this a good bike for a newbie like me.

Ay help would be great

Cheers

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I read up in great detail about this very topic in order to help me make the exact same choice. I assume you might already have made your decision but i'll answer anyway as I'm sure new people will be on this forum all the time wondering the same. The FZ6 is classed as an 'intermediate bike'. ie. not for a first big bike. it has the the R6 engine but tuned for lower and mid range power- ie for city use. It sort of runs out of gear on the open road imo. but low end? It has loads of guts. How does 50 to 60mph in 1st strike your fancy? 90mph in 2nd? you get the idea.

having said that- i got the FZ6 as my first 'big bike'. but i am 32 and had smaller bikes for years back in South Africa. Dirt riding etc. So I felt comfortable with this choice and I like to think now days I ride smart and careful. I don't have the urge to do wheelies anymore and you might even say I've become a bit 'reserved'- perhaps London biking and the very excellent Eastside Riders (school i did full uk license with) helped me realise that this is vital for survival on these roads.

For me I get enjoyment out of taking corners perfectly with nice smooth acceleration or judging conditions just right to avoid accidents that would perhaps have been unavoidable had I been riding like a cowboy- if you know what I mean? This doesn't mean I ride slow- its just that i ride careful. I guess what I'm trying to say is a lot has to do with your mental state. I know when I was 22 (only ten years ago but quite a lot changes in that time) I don't think the Fazer would've been a wise choice. But I was bullet proof then- a bit of a drinker if you know what i mean- but you might have you head screwed on tight and then maybe the Fazer could be spot on. It has a comfy straight up sitting position, nice smooth power, easy to ride one might say.

but get all nervous and fidgety on her, hit a nice fat pothole and slip with your accelerator and you just might have 98kw of power saying HELLO!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online