???timing off???

Josh
This post is 6004 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have A 1986 fj-1200 I believe the timing is off but my question is would the timing being off cause my bike to run ok for about 20 minutes then die and after sitting for about an hour it will start back up and run for another 20 minutes? Or would this possibly be a completey different problem?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest Brian Bonner

I have A 1986 fj-1200 I believe the timing is off but my question is would the timing being off cause my bike to run ok for about 20 minutes then die and after sitting for about an hour it will start back up and run for another 20 minutes? Or would this possibly be a completey different problem?

Is there crud in your gas tank? I kind of wonder if it's just crud coming out of your gas tank and blocking your gas lines/pilot jet.

Its deffo not a timing issue if it runs ok for 20mins, I would suspect that it's a fueling issue either the carbs need a good clean or the fuel filter (Under Tank) is dirty.

It could also be a faulty fuel pump relay or faulty fuel switch , but I would check carbs and filter first.

Adam.

Its deffo not a timing issue if it runs ok for 20mins, I would suspect that it's a fueling issue either the carbs need a good clean or the fuel filter (Under Tank) is dirty.

It could also be a faulty fuel pump relay or faulty fuel switch , but I would check carbs and filter first.

Adam.

could be timing makinig it overheat and causing partial seizure or fuel to vapourise!!

Thanks alot guys I appreciate all the help. does any one know where I could find a used ignition box. there too expensive to buy new and I'm not having much luck finding a used one around here.I was told that was what I needed to fix my timing problem.

I cleaned all carbs, replaced gas filter,and lines,and cleaned out vent,but found some rust in my tank not much but rust is rust,I will let you all know how it goes after cleaning tank. thanks so much for all your help