YBR125

yoosar
This post is 5812 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there!

I'm looking at getting myself a bike. At the moment, the running favourite is the YBR125. I'm just wondering if people had anything to say, either for or against, about it. The other option is the Honda CG125, but the Yamaha seems to be better quality.

Was also wondering if it's possible to find whatever user manual or book comes with the bike online somewhere, just so I can take a look through it.

Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hiya Mate,

This time last year was faced with exactly the same choice.

I went with the YBR.

It's difficult to really give advice without knowing whether you're buying new or used, budget, age of bike you're looking for etc.

Certainly the 2 model specs have changed for 2007 (mine is 56 plate). Not sure what has been changed on the CG, but the YBR is now fuel injected, which is a very big plus IMHO. Also the 07 YBR has a sidestand, another big plus. Not sure whether these are on the CG you'd need to check.

In terms of the 2006 models, these are the main reasons I chose the Yam...

1) It had a kickstart, the CG125 didn't.

2) It had a 'proper' tubular carrier on the back, so a topbox would bolt straight on

3) It was just a more modern looking bike. Let's face it, neither bike will win any beauty contests, but to me the Honda looked like a 1970s bike with a new paintjob, which I guess is essentially what it is. At least with the YBR Yamaha have tried to update the look a bit, to give it the appearance of a modern bike (even though mechanically there's probably not a huge difference betwene it & the CG). I guess it's a matter of taste really and difficult to quantify. i just think the YBR's a better looking bike. Put the 2 side by side, one looks like a new bike, the other an old bike. That did it for me. A big factor here thinking about it are the wheels. Nice 5 spoke 'ally' looking thingies on the Yam, or yicky "i'm a learner" spoked jobbies on the Honda.

4) Price. Yams tend to be just that bit cheaper. Compare the warranties & free insurance deals you can get with a new bike.

5) I did my CBT on a CG125, admittedly it was a bit of an old nacker, but I hated the bloody thing.

- You really should sit on both bikes too, and see which riding position you prefer. I didn't do this actually, but really it's an essential step when choosing a bike.

Let's be fair here though, both are probably great machines and perfectly adequate for your needs. i doubt you'll be disappointed whichever you choose. Your choice will largely come down just to which you prefer, which is exactly how it should be. Trying to compare & pick the "better" bike out of these two is really just splitting hairs.

Whichever you pick, have fun with it, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

It's difficult to really give advice without knowing whether you're buying new or used, budget, age of bike you're looking for etc.

I reckon I'm gonna go with a new bike, since the difference between new and second-hand is only about 350/400 euro. The YBR is about 50 euro cheaper than the CG125 too, so I think between it looking like a better bike and being cheaper, it's the YBR I'm gonna go with!

Good to know that the 07 model has the side stand, must have been an 06 one that I saw in the shop (didn't look at the plates).

You really should sit on both bikes too, and see which riding position you prefer. I didn't do this actually, but really it's an essential step when choosing a bike.

I got a brief sit on the CG, and an even briefer sit on the YBR (although, I'm going to see another one closer to work tomorrow), and the two seemed almost identical. I like how the instruments on the YBR are laid out more though. Gonna see if I can persuade the guy in the shop to let me take it out for a spin, dunno how likely that is though.

Thanks again, guys!

No problem.

If it's a new 07 bike you're looking at, then I'm fairly sure the YBR has sidestand & kickstart, and the CG does not. These things don't matter that much really I guess, but I figure it's better to have them than not to have them.

Certainly the 07 YBR is fuel injected, and I don't think the CG is, although you should check this as I'm not certain.

If it's the case, then I'd definitely go for the YBR. An injected bike means no manual choke. This is great because messing around with the choke on a cold morning can be a pain.

I was always told about "legendary Honda build quality", but to be honest I have been very impressed with how well my YBR is put together. All of the fittings and switches have a quality feel about them, even though it's really a cheap bike.

I've had mine almost exactly a year and had no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to buy a YBR 125, it was the choice between that and the CG125.

The YBR has had rave reviews compare with the Honda and with the new model being injection and so getting rid of the badly located choke its a no brainer.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's a bit late to respond to this question, but just thought I'd add my comments in case anyone else stumbles over this topic...

I've had my YBR for little over a year now and I'm very happy with it as a first bike. It's the 2006 model; so no fuel injection, but the manual choke has never caused me a problem. Fire it up in and by the time you've got your gloves and stuff sorted - it should be good to go. It did use to stall quite a bit in the early days, but a very slight adjustment of the idle speed was all that was needed and it's been no bother since.

One thing I would reccommend to anyone with one of these bikes is getting rid of the stock tyres as soon as you can. I don't know what they're like on the 2007 model, but the ones I had were useless. If you live in the UK and have to deal with the wet weather, you end up sliding around quite a bit. I had Michelin "Pilot Sporty" (not to be confused with the "Pilot Sport") put on mine and I can't speak highly enough of them. For anyone who's got a YBR and is still on stock tyres, you should consider changing them when you can - the difference is amazing and instantly noticable. You can find the tyres on ebay if you have the know-how to change them yourself (I didn't so the mechanic at the garage ordered them in for me and did it as part of the 2nd service).

Appart from some other cosmetic stuff like the Oxford heated grips and a windscreen; the bike is pretty much as-is and has never let me down. I'm so glad I didn't go for the Honda CG, plus... the alloys on the Yamaha are far easier to clean than all those spokes! Other reasons I chose the YBR over the CG... As has been already said; Better looking bike, kickstart and the insurance and RAC deal was on at the time so that was a huge influecne too (probably why that year 50% more new YBRs were registered than CGs)

Enjoy :o)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'm looking at getting myself a bike. At the moment, the running favourite is the YBR125. I'm just wondering if people had anything to say, either for or against, about it. The other option is the Honda CG125, but the Yamaha seems to be better quality.

Was also wondering if it's possible to find whatever user manual or book comes with the bike online somewhere, just so I can take a look through it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Yoosar

I would definitely recommended the YBR125 over anything in that class. The closest rival is the Honda CG125 and if you looking at Motorcyclenews.com on the reviews between the two, the YBR125 is much better.

I am currently riding my for the pass 9 months and it has never let me down. just passed my passed my A1 test and I am now selling it.

Let me know if you are stilling at a 125 bike as I maybe be able to sell mine to you.

Regards

Howai

• 3 months later...

I know it's a bit late to respond to this question, but just thought I'd add my comments in case anyone else stumbles over this topic...

I've had my YBR for little over a year now and I'm very happy with it as a first bike. It's the 2006 model; so no fuel injection, but the manual choke has never caused me a problem. Fire it up in and by the time you've got your gloves and stuff sorted - it should be good to go. It did use to stall quite a bit in the early days, but a very slight adjustment of the idle speed was all that was needed and it's been no bother since.

One thing I would reccommend to anyone with one of these bikes is getting rid of the stock tyres as soon as you can. I don't know what they're like on the 2007 model, but the ones I had were useless. If you live in the UK and have to deal with the wet weather, you end up sliding around quite a bit. I had Michelin "Pilot Sporty" (not to be confused with the "Pilot Sport") put on mine and I can't speak highly enough of them. For anyone who's got a YBR and is still on stock tyres, you should consider changing them when you can - the difference is amazing and instantly noticable. You can find the tyres on ebay if you have the know-how to change them yourself (I didn't so the mechanic at the garage ordered them in for me and did it as part of the 2nd service).

Appart from some other cosmetic stuff like the Oxford heated grips and a windscreen; the bike is pretty much as-is and has never let me down. I'm so glad I didn't go for the Honda CG, plus... the alloys on the Yamaha are far easier to clean than all those spokes! Other reasons I chose the YBR over the CG... As has been already said; Better looking bike, kickstart and the insurance and RAC deal was on at the time so that was a huge influecne too (probably why that year 50% more new YBRs were registered than CGs)

Enjoy :o)

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online