3TJ questions...

Liam0161
This post is 6000 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi to all. I have a pot load of questions about my recently purchased FZR400 3TJ but will list only a couple.

It's a smaller wing-mirror friendly alternative to my recently sold (and sadly missed) '89 VFR750FJ. It's got an Aprillia scooter rear seat unit and race bodywork, uprated rear shocker, has been jetted, has a custom made straight through exhaust and a modified airbox with large freeflo filter. It's a quirky tarmac-hugging little thing that has a surprising turn of speed but, alas is not yet quick enough...

What else is do-able to it to increase the acceleration that's within the scope of a reasonably brave home mechanic and doesn't involve taking the engine to bits? Thought about ramming air from a couple of fairing ducts straight down the carbs but not sure what that would do to the engine. Any thoughts?

Can anyone explain what exactly does the power valve in a normal 3TJ exhaust actually do? I will have to get a quieter exhaust for the next MOT and would one of these help it along?

And finally does anyone have a good DOHC '78-82 CB750 engine lurking in a corner of their garage? I'm getting sick of tripping over Honda bits. Or does anyone know what I should expect to pay to have the original engine rebuilt?

Cheers, Liam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What else is do-able to it to increase the acceleration that's within the scope of a reasonably brave home mechanic and doesn't involve taking the engine to bits? Thought about ramming air from a couple of fairing ducts straight down the carbs but not sure what that would do to the engine. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Liam

The quickest way to increase the acceleration of your bike is to change the rear sproket. This will reduce the top speed but so what.

The quickest way to increase the acceleration of your bike is to change the rear sproket. This will reduce the top speed but so what.

Dya know I never thought of that lol. Now that you mention it the present sprocket does seem to be a little too small (the chain has cut through the rubber thingy and gouged the swingarm slightly) and rides quite close to the swingarm both above and below. Any suggestions for ideal front/rear sprocket teeth number combinations?

Liam

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online