blinker problem

joeled
This post is 5651 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1984 xt250 dual sport that i just bought and found the blinkers will turn on but not blink and the tail light will change brightness when I turh on the blinker. Is this a short or grounding problem? I am looking for advice or a wiring diagram. Please help....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

DO both the front and rear indicators come on.

I had the same problem with my 82 seca. the Flasher itself was shot. Should be able to pick up a replacement at any auto parts store....if yours is like mine it will be square...or you could luck out and find one in a junk yard like i did.

DO both the front and rear indicators come on.

I had the same problem with my 82 seca. the Flasher itself was shot. Should be able to pick up a replacement at any auto parts store....if yours is like mine it will be square...or you could luck out and find one in a junk yard like i did.

Yes the front and back lights come on but very weak and no flash. It's almost like the battery is nearly dead but I know its not. I will see if I can find a flasher and try that . Thanks for the tip.

Do you know if there is a link to a wiring diagram for this bike?

Ed

Yes the front and back lights come on but very weak and no flash. It's almost like the battery is nearly dead but I know its not. I will see if I can find a flasher and try that . Thanks for the tip.

Do you know if there is a link to a wiring diagram for this bike?

Ed

It could be a failed flasher unit but more likely to be corroded terminals on the switch or flasher. Assuming the battery is OK and the earths are clean, check the terminals first.

• 1 year later...

I've got a 1981 XT250 with the same problem. The front signal lights work fine,but when the rear lites flash, they are dim. Also the tail light goes dim when rear signals are on. The battery is brand new, and fully charged. please help.

make sure that the bulbs are the correct wattage

I used to have 6V 21W bulbs in thr RXS - I had to buy a flasher unit but when I replaced it, the indicators seemed as if they needed to power up every time they flashed.

I swapped them for 6V 8W bulbs, although they are not as bright, they flash at a constant rate and IMO are better.

I used to have 6V 21W bulbs in thr RXS - I had to buy a flasher unit but when I replaced it, the indicators seemed as if they needed to power up every time they flashed.

I swapped them for 6V 8W bulbs, although they are not as bright, they flash at a constant rate and IMO are better.

Thanks. I'll tryit.