New rider here!!!

Texas Criminal
This post is 6013 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok im 16 about to turn 17 this coming december. But my step dad and i are getting 2 sport bikes. He is getting the gsx 1000 and i am getting an r1. I have never ridden a bike ever before but im pretty sure i can ride this because i will be going slow when i first get it. Just a little bit of tip for me

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok im 16 about to turn 17 this coming december. But my step dad and i are getting 2 sport bikes. He is getting the gsx 1000 and i am getting an r1. I have never ridden a bike ever before but im pretty sure i can ride this because i will be going slow when i first get it. Just a little bit of tip for me

well, if youve never ridden before, i would consider starting with an r6. the low end torque that an r1 has makes it a bike that even experienced riders will lay down on occasion. ive ridden both (my friends are very trusting), and i have to say that the r6 was plenty quick and handled corners well..... it could hang with the r1 up to about 100mph, and then those extra 400cc began to show. the main reason that the r6 could hang was that the r1 has too much torque to really add much throttle below that point.

if you do get an r1, just be more careful, deliberate, and gentle with the throttle.

definitely get good protective gear, and absolutely take a riders safety course.

oh, and try to keep the rubber side down ;)

Greetings from across the pond......

The advise given so far is spot on. If you have never ridden before i wouldn't dream of going anywhere near an R1 untill you have at least a few thousand miles of riding under you belt.

I have just got back into riding after about a ten year gap. I rode bikes as a kid and into my teens in England and abroad and i have opted for a YZF600 thundercat. This might not be the first choice for all new riders but i think it is a very good first bike. It handles well, is very forgiving and comfortable so you will not get pains and tired too quick. As i said i have ridden before but i consider myself a new rider and therfore plan to start off slowly at first and build my experience back up. I plan to get an R6, or should i say, wanted one now but i am showing restraint and patience which hopefully crosses over to my riding. You will soon build up your experience and confidence to get the bike you want.

Its better to start of safe and ride than sit in a hospital ward looking at posters of bikes....

Definately look into taking some sort of advanced driving course.

good riding mate...

This reminds me of another thread I saw:

Ok im 16 about to turn 17 this coming december. But my step dad and i are getting 2 aeroplanes. He is getting the A310 Airbus and i am getting an F-22 Lockheed Martin. I have never flown a plane ever before but im pretty sure i can fly this because i will be going slow when i first get it. Just a little bit of tip for me

Ok, so you may be able to detect my sceptiscism; if my son made this suggestion, his feet wouldn't touch the floor and NOT because he was riding away on an R1 neither!

I feel like a real Dad now, 'cos I want to say "bank the money and buy yourself a lesser machine to learn on first." If I was still 16 (turning 17) I'd really want an R1 too; fortunately, I never got its equivalent which is probably why I'm still riding to this day. Yes, you can ride an R1 slowly and properly, but at 17 all I'd want to do is let it rip and race around as fast as possible pulling wheelies at every opportunity. (Boy would I get laid!) However, you have to remember that as a biker, other road users play more of a part in your survival than you think. Reading their behaviour, anticipating their next move takes experience and lots of practice. (If I put my Dad hat back on again, I'd be saying "I'll buy you a nice Volvo; keep it in first gear.")

As per the other posts, you need to get some training. (What's the US laws on riding & licensing?) Anyone can ride a bike; not everyone can ride it safely.

Ok, so they'll be a dozen others in the forum making the same comments; I really hope you get your R1 though; I really hope you'll be the best 17 year old rider ever; best of luck and wear protection. (You'll be fighting the women off.)

Texas Criminal for pete's sake contact the Motorcycle Safety Foundation as per this link (taking a wild guess as to which part of the US you're in here!) Click here - PLEASE!

Do it BEFORE you buy a bike please and take a Basic Rider Course, it's GREAT fun, teaches you heaps and ASK them about bikes to buy.

Please, please, please, for me, pretty please!

You're scaring me!!!!!!!!!

Amanda

Are you being serious about an R1? That bike probably has more horsepower than your car. Except it weighs a lot less.

R1s are wicked fast and got a lot of torque. The new ones aren't as bad on the lower end tq but still touchy.

Not saying it will happen but starting on an R1 or GSXR1000 or any 1000 bike that isn't a cruiser style is a great way to get killed. Because either you are going to A) see a cute girl in a car and try to wheelie for her at 50mph thinking your bike won't flip over (which it will easily even if you put all your weight up front) B) taking a turn and hitting the gas too hard causing the tire to spin and you to lowslide into a tree C) Taking a turn to hard and spining the rear tire and while letting off the gas because you are spinning causing your tire to grab traction and highside you into a tree or oncoming vehicle or finally D) going 180mph and not knowing what to do.

Your best beginner bikes would be the FZ6, Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki EX500, or even a Honda 599. All good looking bikes with decent power and great for learning. Plus buy used buy used buy used buy used. Because you will eventually drop your bike and it's best to hvae a paid off used one than a brand new one.

Guest Brian Bonner

Ok thank you all. If i do plan on getting it i promise i am going to be going slow and gradually increase over the months. But for the first 2 months i will be going extremely slow lol

(Groans) Please, for the love of god, either give us a very detailed explanation of how to make a U-turn on a motorcycle, then after that give us an explanation of what an lowside and highside is and how to avoid those. If you can't, go take the MSF course first. You'll thank us later.

Ok im 16 about to turn 17 this coming december. But my step dad and i are getting 2 aeroplanes. He is getting the A310 Airbus and i am getting an F-22 Lockheed Martin. I have never flown a plane ever before but im pretty sure i can fly this because i will be going slow when i first get it. Just a little bit of tip for me

What? Who the hell posted that? An F-22? That's a Billion dollar airplane on top of being the U.S. Militaries fastest most manuverable stealthiest jet ever made. That thing coudl fly through Downtown Moscow and not be detected. Which means Skunk Works and the U.S. Military is not letting some civilian come even close to spitting range of that plane.

If you are going to get a Litre bike. Can I get an life insurance policy off of you? There is no "really really slow" on an litre bike. They are violent power. The bike explodes when you hit the gas. Atleast a Hyabusa or ZX-14 is smooth on power.

Ok thank you all. If i do plan on getting it i promise i am going to be going slow and gradually increase over the months. But for the first 2 months i will be going extremely slow lol

......and if you do plan to get it and are successful, we will get the flowers.

What? Who the hell posted that? An F-22? That's a Billion dollar airplane on top of being the U.S. Militaries fastest most manuverable stealthiest jet ever made. That thing coudl fly through Downtown Moscow and not be detected. Which means Skunk Works and the U.S. Military is not letting some civilian come even close to spitting range of that plane.

I think it was a guy called Greg Bush or something like that ...... ;)

listen to them mate... check out youtube.com and watch r6 hiside fall. it's kinda hard to control this fall, actually... you can't... and it's an r6, r1's are harder to control throttle in turns

anyways. like they said the torque is extremely peaky, if you accidentally let go of the clutch and let it snap, say goodbye to your bike

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online