Anything Special?

OIIIIIIIO
This post is 6044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Heres a picture the newest member of the fleet. Now from what I can tell, its nothing more than a standard '77 xs400. Although, more than one person has told me that its "rare" and that I shouldn't continue the process of cutting it into a cafe bike. So before I do anything tragic, Does anyone know anything in particular that might make this bike, "special"?

Thanks!

-Pat

yamahavr3.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Heres a picture the newest member of the fleet. Now from what I can tell, its nothing more than a standard '77 xs400. Although, more than one person has told me that its "rare" and that I shouldn't continue the process of cutting it into a cafe bike. So before I do anything tragic, Does anyone know anything in particular that might make this bike, "special"?

Thanks!

-Pat

yamahavr3.jpg

I wouldn't say that the bike is anything that "special" other than the fact that most xs400's that I see are custom styles which are drastically different in appearance than your xs. The box-like tank and flat seat don't make too many appearances, which makes your bike all the more interesting as is. Part of the reason that I purchased mine was the fact that it was all original (though I did put a drag bar on), with very few miles as well.

But in the end it is your bike, you should do with it what makes you happy.

I wouldn't say that the bike is anything that "special" other than the fact that most xs400's that I see are custom styles which are drastically different in appearance than your xs. The box-like tank and flat seat don't make too many appearances, which makes your bike all the more interesting as is. Part of the reason that I purchased mine was the fact that it was all original (though I did put a drag bar on), with very few miles as well.

But in the end it is your bike, you should do with it what makes you happy.

Actually, the reason I bought it was because it only had 4k on it, runs beautifully (starts on the first or second kick every time) and the price of $400 seemed like a pretty good deal. Almost makes it worth all the crap I've had to go through to get a title. I appreciate the reply, I just wanted to make sure before I hacked into the rear section of the frame, that it wasn't something terribly rare, being that I hadn't seen many with the square tank either. In which case, I probably would have left it go, and gotten an RD or something to modify.

Thanks a heap,

-Pat

Thanks!

-Pat

yamahavr3.jpg

that's the one which came after the xs360 as it has plain wheels rather than painted. if the rear guard is in good nick sell it off as they are rare and can't be bought new.

the graphics are similar to the german versions.

BTW the square tank versions are designated 2A2 models which are more popular in blighty than the US.

I dint think thay started to put on the alloy wheels until the 80s i thought all post 79 bikes had wire wheels

I dint think thay started to put on the alloy wheels until the 80s i thought all post 79 bikes had wire wheels

xs250's had wires, but also alloys became standard across the 250cc range later. 400's where all cast alloys (bloody heavy ones)

I think it would be a shame to cut it about. It will grow in value in the future.

yes, but it would make mine rarer and worth even more ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online