New member in Oz

gramme
This post is 6055 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

I'm an ex pom now living in Australia - near Melbourne. Lived in England until I was 40, then emigrated for a much warmer climate and brilliant biking roads. Now retired.

Had mostly Hondas in the last 12 years - 3VFR's, 2 Blackbirds, Firestorm, Fireblade. I change regularly and currently have a 2005 VFR but getting bored and Honda seem to have lost interest in upgrading the VFR and Blackbird, so I am looking to get an FZ1S as soon as I sell the VFR.

Look forward to reading posts and contributing, once I am an owner.

If anyone is contemplating a holiday down under I will be happy to act as a guide, on roads around where I live (some of the best in Australia) and offer advice on other areas.

Regards

Graham

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How do!

Ooh a guide round your area, now there's an offer.

Know anyone on Tazzi? My elderly and and uncle live there (ex-poms too) but my cuzs live out your way I think, one of them is CEO of Birds Australia based at their Head Office in Carlton. Bin saying for too long now we outta get ourselves out there for a visit.

Cheers.

Amanda

Hi everyone

I'm an ex pom now living in Australia - near Melbourne. Lived in England until I was 40, then emigrated for a much warmer climate and brilliant biking roads. Now retired.

Had mostly Hondas in the last 12 years - 3VFR's, 2 Blackbirds, Firestorm, Fireblade. I change regularly and currently have a 2005 VFR but getting bored and Honda seem to have lost interest in upgrading the VFR and Blackbird, so I am looking to get an FZ1S as soon as I sell the VFR.

Look forward to reading posts and contributing, once I am an owner.

If anyone is contemplating a holiday down under I will be happy to act as a guide, on roads around where I live (some of the best in Australia) and offer advice on other areas.

Regards

Graham

hey dude, hows it going, lived in melb for 30 years but now in warmer weather in Brisbane, great country hey B)

How do!

Ooh a guide round your area, now there's an offer.

Know anyone on Tazzi? My elderly and and uncle live there (ex-poms too) but my cuzs live out your way I think, one of them is CEO of Birds Australia based at their Head Office in Carlton. Bin saying for too long now we outta get ourselves out there for a visit.

Cheers.

Amanda

Hi there Amanda

Used to know a slalom canoeist in Tassy - Justin Boocock - did a few competitions over there bout 15 years ago. Also toured right around on a Blackbird six years ago - awesome place. You can take the bike over on the ferry quite cheaply.

Hiya

Oh flip I can hear the bank manager groaning already :lol:

We were already planning a road trip from Suffolk to Crete hopefully in 2009. Mebbes I'd better change our plans, my rellies aren't gettin any younger :blink: and my uncle is my godfather. (BTW dodgy typing I meant aunt & uncle in earlier post, doh)

My geography's rubbish is Carlton VC anywhere near you? That's my boff (as in brainy) cousin's workplace ;)

Amanda

Hiya

Oh flip I can hear the bank manager groaning already :lol:

We were already planning a road trip from Suffolk to Crete hopefully in 2009. Mebbes I'd better change our plans, my rellies aren't gettin any younger :blink: and my uncle is my godfather. (BTW dodgy typing I meant aunt & uncle in earlier post, doh)

My geography's rubbish is Carlton VC anywhere near you? That's my boff (as in brainy) cousin's workplace ;)

Amanda

Hi Amanda

Carlton is a suburb on the East side of Melbourne. We are 70km (45miles) NE of Melbourne. Everyone (bikers) around Melbourne heads out our way on weekends for a blast through the hills. Miles and miles of great curves, through beautiful countryside and the roads have far less traffic than in England. Travelling a bit further - about 300 miles, so overnight accom' required - gets you up to the Snowy Mountains area. This is God's country and must have some of the best biking roads on the planet. Heading SW of Melbourne about 70 miles gets you to the start of the Great Ocean Road. An amazing ride that follows the coast line, with fantastic ocean views. It gets very busy with tourist traffic though from Dec to Mar. and is now heavily policed due to 'nutters' on bikes. And of course there's Phillip Island, about 70 miles SE of Melbourne, with regular ride days on the GP circuit, much cheaper than track days in England - about half the price!

Some links below may be of interest.

http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/

http://au.travel.yahoo.com/great-outdoors/...snowy+mountains

http://www.phillipislandcircuit.com.au/superbikeschool.php

Something to think about. Lie on a beach in Crete, or do all of the above and lie on a beach if you want. Of course, it would cost a bit more and you would want a bike (or two) while you were here. If you came out here you would probably want to live here, so why not just move like we did.

Hmmmm guess Crete can be postponed to 2010!!!! Owch my arm!

Will speak to the Cuzs, the boffy one at Birds Australia used to ride a bike years ago, he came over this summer on his 50th birthday road trip (my kid sis and I are the babies in the family!) and we were talking about the old days. Realised we'd not seen each other since I was at High School :blink:

Will also work on the hubby. We might have to extend the trip to NZ too as we've got a v good friend who emigrated and we'd also talked about doing a bike tour there too as Hugh and his missus are bikers.

Guess I'd better get shot of my L-plates asap and get a few miles under my belt in preparation!

I'm not gonna comment on the move out permanently thing, we already left the UK to live in LA (albeit only intending to do a max 6 years on temp visa then come home) once and I'm surprised you didn't hear the lead balloon crashing down in the Southern Hemisphere when we told my folks and one of my bezzie m8s who absolutely won't entertain flying! Fortunately for those back home but not so fortunate for us hubby lost sed job after 19 months so we came back much earlier than planned :o

I'll look at the links ta and start dreaming/planning.

BTW Yoda, sorry m8 more proof I'm nuts after all, you win :lol::D

Thanks Gramme, mebbes we'll meet up in a coupla years!

Cheers.

Amanda