Underseat exhaust

Palmettohodag
This post is 6002 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been reading some reviews of bikes with underseat exhausts like the FZ6. It seems some people have problems with the exhaust fumes being sucked back on to them while riding . . . resulting in fumagated riding gear. Does anyone on this forum with an FZ6 or other bike with underseat exhaust experience this?

Greg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's an age old phenomenon, dating back to the late 50's when bike manufacturers (such as BSA) started fiting knobbly tyres to road bikes and routing the zorst up by the side of the seat/mudguard. Especially bad for stroker riders.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a '07 FZ6 with the underseat exhaust and haven't had a problem so far, that said I haven't had the bike very long..

The secret it to ride a wheelie at 100mph or 200kph. That way the fumes can't catch up.

I'm not sure how true that is. But I guess it would be similar to when you are drunk and try to pee out of the back of a friends truck. Never a good result (Especially for your other friends in the back).

That's interesting Smittie . . . but have you ever tried to pee off the back of your motorcycle while riding a wheelie at 100mph?! :D

The secret it to ride a wheelie at 100mph or 200kph. That way the fumes can't catch up.

I'm not sure how true that is. But I guess it would be similar to when you are drunk and try to pee out of the back of a friends truck. Never a good result (Especially for your other friends in the back).

I have been reading some reviews of bikes with underseat exhausts like the FZ6. It seems some people have problems with the exhaust fumes being sucked back on to them while riding . . . resulting in fumagated riding gear. Does anyone on this forum with an FZ6 or other bike with underseat exhaust experience this?

Greg

No problems atall. I guess the trick is to not ride backwards. :lol:

have had my fz6 for nearly 3yrs, dont have that prob. and i have scorpion race cans:-) i might be wrong, but dont the fumes blow away when riding???????????????? duh <_<

That might *seem* logical but it is only partially true. There is turbulence behind the rider and bike as they cut through the air . . . and it acts as a vacuum. They used to have warnings (maybe still do) in the owners manuals for station wagons and SUVs not to leave the rear windows open while driving on the highway because it sucked exhaust fumes back into the car. On motorcycles, I would think the problem would be minor though, and depend on the angle the exhaust was pointed at.

The bike I had read about having this problem was the 2007 CBR1000R . . . so I was just curious if the FZ6 owners experienced something similar. Thanks for the responses!

have had my fz6 for nearly 3yrs, dont have that prob. and i have scorpion race cans:-) i might be wrong, but dont the fumes blow away when riding???????????????? duh <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online