motorcycle crash statistics

pnoidrummer
This post is 5590 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Soo i hear a lot of things. i was wondering if there was an actual study on the amount of fatal motorcycle crashes, and the cause of it. well actually i'ts mostly from ppl who show off and do stunts on the street right?

well i was even more wondering if there was a comparison of % of fatal bike accidents where it wasn't the biker's fault compared to the % of fatal car crashes. But i wanted some of the factors removed from this statistic, such as stupid people who show off on public roads (which would more than likely lower the percent greatly).

I heard most young street bike drivers die within the first 6 months from inexperience and over doing it, and most of all for show boating.

i guess i'm asking really, if you were a good rider, able to predict movements of cars, wore visible clothes, took the msf class, does not do stunts on public roads, able to avoid accidents and w/e. i'm asking the % chance of either really bad accident or fatal accident caused by another car/biker hitting you from behind, considering behind is probably the only place u can't exactly see what's coming.

iono i guess i'm in despair of not getting one now because of discouragement.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its all about making sure you take the proper precautions, and pay attention.

get into one of the training courses, and if possible, once you have some time in the saddle, get into one of the advanced training courses that they put the police bikers through.

something like 50% of fatal motorcycle crashes in the US are caused (at least according to my trainer at one of the courses) by single vehicle crashes where the biker looses control in a corner, usually because they go too wide due to poor cornering technique.

if you want one, get a motorcycle. just understand that you arent surrounded by a ton and a half of steel, and are not as visible.

just be as careful as you can, and ride/think as though nobody will see you. i play a little "what-if" game where i ask myself what i will do if someone pulls out, or cuts in on me, and it keeps me constantly looking for my out/escape route in case something goes wrong.

sure, riding a motorcycle is dangerous, but then again, so is walking out your front door in the morning.

for me, the fun is worth the risk. you have to ask yourself if it is worth it to you.

See my reply to your other post.

I'm a 43 year old (almost) 19 years married lady DON'T be put off 'cos it's sooooo much fun, even here in the UK with the unpredictable weather (yikes I wish I still lived in LA now that I'm getting back into riding) just make sure you do your best to be as trained/prepared as poss.

Keep us all updated :D

Good luck!

Amanda

You're looking too deep. People die in cars everyday but you never hear potential car drivers going through this scenario.

I'm 53, I've ridden 36 years, owned 55 bikes, never broken a bone, and never trashed a bike.

And there's plenty of others like me out there.

Why? Cos we didn't behave like twats or hang round with twats.

And the actual number of totally non-fault motorcycle accidents is very small....the vast majority of accidents (to varying degrees) are down to the rider. That's not speculation....it's fact, and the cops on bikes in the UK will tell you the same thing.

Of my friends who have been killed or injured seriously on bikes. Almost all where from other cars. Which all my friends stunt and ride fast and hard. Your biggest culprets are little ol' ladies and teenage girls texting away. Or Soccer moms busying changing DVDs in their SUV for their screaming kids.

My 2nd day riding I should have been killed by some idiot in a Dodge Dully pulling a bobcat trailer doing 80mph around a turn Ghostrider wouldn't do 80mph around. I just got lucky becuase I pulled over to check my cell. If I didn't I would have been that statistic.

And last weekend I had a woman merge on me. I grabbed the clutch and pinned it at the revlimiter to get her attention. And on that same night I had a car pull out of walmart in front of me causing me to swerve into the other lane(Luckily it was a 4lane road with an additional lane for turning. Despite the road was 100% clear behind me.

People just don't notice bikes. Especially with text messaging becoming huge and everyone with their cells stuck up their ass.

Infact you can try this. Go to Youtube.com and put in Motorcycle death, fatal, died, etc. Don't do Crash just keywords dealing with death. Most videos you see of motorcyclist getting killed involve other cars and usually not the bikes fault either. Now you can find plenty of crashing videos of motorcycles but in almost all of them they come out walking and even laughing about it.

hmmm i see thanks guys. i'm still a little freakd out i guess. i mean but when i got on my friends gxsr gah i got a sense of thrill. =] but hten when i came home to share my thrill my heart sunk =\. but yeah as for the youtube.com thing, i think i'll pass. i'm looking for hope that the statistic of motorcyclist's fatal accidents are extremely small, well i guess i can't say extremely small. but far less chance than that of a car. but then i guess if you aren't surrounded by 1 1/2 tons of steel it's hard to find a statistic like that.

i dunno. i just kinda figure that what jrehn said. its dangerous to step outside ur front door. i kind was throwing the idea around that motorcyle and car fatal deaths were being around the same, considering motorcycles can avoid things easier (unless i'm wrong), though they are not as visible. compared to cars who can't avoid things as well, but are more visible. and that the only reason cylcists deaths are higher is because of the twats doing wheelies at 70mph on teh freeway in traffic.

isn't motorcylcing dangerous mainly from hitting things that are stationary or close to becoming stationary. or that ur the stationary object being hit? cause if u fall and u got armor u just skid... course the falling part wouldn't be a pleasant feeling.

You can crash at mach3 and come out okay as long as it takes a while for you to stop. Sliding isn't hte problem. Going from 70mph to 0 in .0000001 seconds is. Your organs can't handle the G-forces. That's why when watching racing such as Nascar, F1, motorcycles, drag racing, etc where they are going 200mph and roll violently down the track they come out okay. Because the energy was distributed through a long distance.

And again if you go to Youtube and just put in "Motorcycle Crashes" you'll find thousands of videos of bikes crashing. Some from riding fast and others from stunting. And even the really bad looking ones the riders generally come out okay.

Cars are the motorcyclist's biggest problem.

yeah i know waht u mean. there was one where a car was parked illegaly, and he was doing a stunt. but we went to go down from his stunt and his bike started shaking violently. he went down then hit the car. but he's ok though he had two broken hands and a rib i think. but i guess it was the car that made get out of sync with riding, so he didn't land corectly. and even then this was the result of stunting. thanks for ur help guys =D

• 8 months later...

nice new one for you friday the 16th2008 of may i was on my way to an advanced bike leson when i came round a blind bend now i travel on this road 3 or 4 times a day so i got right on my side of the road as to avoid any cars traveling my way so i was at about 30mph agood speed for this corner and just as i came round the corner thir was a red kia 4x4 was on my side i mean he was driveing like he was in france not the uk he could not go any more over or he would have been off road so i slamed on then let off the bake then went on to the grass wich turnd in to a ditch then before i new it in to a big slate gate post then flung 15 to 20ft down the road waching my bike disintergrate around me trying to get back on my feet fell down but then got back up thinking o sh** my bike o sh** my bike leson then i look to see if he had stoped he hand but only 400yrds down the road as he walked back up the road towards me i was then trying to pik my bike up or what was left thinking i need to get to kendal for my bike leson and of corse the bikes condition but then rage had taken over as the big black guy who was on my side was saying o you were going to fast and thats the point when i said you! wanker what the f*** you was on my side of the road which he replide i have been driving like this all day and had nothing problem untill you cum round corner to fast. and thats the point when i stoped him and asked for his insurence details which he would not give me so not haveing a pen for his reg i asked him to take peaces of my bike back to my house so he said yes so i pushed my bike remains home and he folowed my i got back put my bike on its side and the asked him again for his insurence he qwikly droped any parts of the bike he was holding and jumped in his car i walked in to my garden were my mum was and she had seen the state bike then him driving off she jumped in the car an went after him to get his number plate then we phoned the police and they said they would be 30mins but 3hr later i thought that i better just to go to the hospital went thought all the cheks straped up and sent home grate then when the cops came the next day they came to the conclusion that it was tic for tac so i got on to my solisitors and now have aload of paper work to do becuse nob ed car drivers cant stay on thir side twats e.

so basicly its not the bike rider in my experiance it was the car!!! driver!!!!

thankyou for reading will

p.s he from nottingham i will post his reg later as i want to now if any one else has han an incounter with him

well pass on the bike , odd are a tornado will get ya, or lightning, car wreck, cancer , take your pic. At 52 now ive ridden since 13 yrs old, been down a few times mostly on dirt but once on the street , all when I was young. If I had any advice to give id say dont ever tail gate, I see it all the time, bounce off the back bumper once if you live youll learn. Id stay away from statistics , if you look at everything statistically you go nuts & sit in a padded room.

Interestingly enough - i have written a paper for Uni on lower limb injury occurences, causes and possible preventative measures of motorcyclists.

During the research i uncovered some surprising stuff - like the amount of bikers who DON'T wear protective gear, and that manufacturers have been told for YEARS they need to improve the protection available on the motorcycle around the lower limb area - but they just arent listening. Money seems more important than safety.

I have quite a few research papers on motorcycle accidents, injuries etc and TONS of stats - its all part of my work for my uni course - if anyone wants to read any lol, then just PM me.

Go for it mate,youve got the kind of attitude that will make you a safe rider,i would be more worried if you wasnt a bit nervous,dont speed,dont tailgate,stay alert and you will enjoy your riding.

dude..... are you a statistic ? be a fucking man, sack up and buy a bike !!! get the r6 if its your first bike.... oh btw did you know you can affect the outcome of your riding ? so ride safe and be cautious.... FUCK STATISTICS :angry:

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

he from nottingham i will post his reg later as i want to now if any one else has han an incounter with him

Were bouts in Notts mate?

If you get this before tonight are you a member of NAM?

Were bouts in Notts mate?

If you get this before tonight are you a member of NAM?

hi the accident was in the lake district and the bloke was from nottingham i was just saying that if you have had an encounter with a kia 4x4 i would put his number plate on the forum and see if he had hit any one else or run them off the road then he could end up loseing his licence as thir is to many nod eds driveing car who are to grate a risk to bikers or other car drivers

but thankyou for responding will

• 3 months later...

Interestingly enough - i have written a paper for Uni on lower limb injury occurences, causes and possible preventative measures of motorcyclists.

During the research i uncovered some surprising stuff - like the amount of bikers who DON'T wear protective gear, and that manufacturers have been told for YEARS they need to improve the protection available on the motorcycle around the lower limb area - but they just arent listening. Money seems more important than safety.

I have quite a few research papers on motorcycle accidents, injuries etc and TONS of stats - its all part of my work for my uni course - if anyone wants to read any lol, then just PM me.

Hey, I am looking for some general stats and info to base my law degree on - could you send any info you have. PLzzzzzzzzzzz

undefined

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I am doing a report on the level of protection given by helmets for uni. I was wondering If you could send me any relevant data you might have? My mail is [email protected]. =)

Hoping you do, Gaz.

Dont live your life by statistics you cant if you did you wouldnt do anything...ride becuase you want to ride...not becuase the chances of crashing are low...if you want to do it then do it use all your sense to not crash if your switched on and alert then the stat is ur enjoy your riding and your be lucky

I crashed my 125 three times.

Twice it was 'the fault' of another biker, but ultimately it was down to how I reacted.

It could be called 'experience', but it's actually just lack of forward observation and common sense.

87% of all bike accidents are the 'fault' of another vehicle, 67% of which are cars pulling out from junctions. But, what actually made the crash happen could have been avoided by the rider.

Correct use of the horn, observation, positioning, slower riding.....

Friend of mine lost his leg in an accident that began at just 15MPH.

Yes, cars are murderous, ignorant motherfuckers. But this is war and the only way you will survive this is to tend to your own riding ability.

• 1 month later...

Soo i hear a lot of things. i was wondering if there was an actual study on the amount of fatal motorcycle crashes, and the cause of it. well actually i'ts mostly from ppl who show off and do stunts on the street right?

well i was even more wondering if there was a comparison of % of fatal bike accidents where it wasn't the biker's fault compared to the % of fatal car crashes. But i wanted some of the factors removed from this statistic, such as stupid people who show off on public roads (which would more than likely lower the percent greatly).

I heard most young street bike drivers die within the first 6 months from inexperience and over doing it, and most of all for show boating.

i guess i'm asking really, if you were a good rider, able to predict movements of cars, wore visible clothes, took the msf class, does not do stunts on public roads, able to avoid accidents and w/e. i'm asking the % chance of either really bad accident or fatal accident caused by another car/biker hitting you from behind, considering behind is probably the only place u can't exactly see what's coming.

iono i guess i'm in despair of not getting one now because of discouragement.

Well I can tell you I had a 2007 R1 and loved it put over 3000 miles on it in about 6 months of riding and did not show off with it but I did ride fast. That is what got me into trouble on 5/25/08 at 9:10 pm I hit and killed a deer at 100 + mph well I guess you would know the bike was a total loss but never the less I lived with a lot of road rash and a couple of deep cuts. I will tell you I was wearing my helmet but not my riding coat or gloves this is why I had so much road rash. I can also tell you I am a truck driver I have a CDL class A and know how to watch for other drivers and animals but shit happens and this deer ran out in front of me out of a ditch and I had no time to stop. So all I can tell you is good luck and where your riding gear.