new rider

pnoidrummer
This post is 6043 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

alright i r1 is off my list haha. i even heard to not start with an r6 too. i heard the peak torque is only in a short range on the power band, and that if i took a turn and hit it w/o knowing i'd slide and go down. also i heard that first 6 months is usually when new riders have a super high risk of dying. but isn't it with any bike? i mean, if i practice on the r6 slowly and get used to it i should be fine right?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright i r1 is off my list haha. i even heard to not start with an r6 too. i heard the peak torque is only in a short range on the power band, and that if i took a turn and hit it w/o knowing i'd slide and go down. also i heard that first 6 months is usually when new riders have a super high risk of dying. but isn't it with any bike? i mean, if i practice on the r6 slowly and get used to it i should be fine right?

yea as long as you are mature about it... i just got a 600r for my first bike...never riden before never drove clutch... as long as you stay safe on it i dont see why not... woulda got an r6 but too pricey for my first bike... just ride conservatively for 6 months build the confidence... i notice people get tempted by the power of it and do risky stuff, needless to say risk without experience is a recipe for disaster... oh and take a MSF course, they usually supply a 250cc bike to use to get a feel for riding and once i rode the 250s i knew taht i could tame a 600cc bike....all up to your comfort lvl tho

You can kill or maim yourself on any bike, the more powerful, the quicker. Do get used to the roads and riding on a 250cc first.

Despite what everyone, from your mum to the government, tell you, there is no correlation between a bikes performance and your likelyhood of coming a cropper on one. That said, you're wise to apply a bit of thought to the problem.

I went straight from a 125 (after less than 2 months riding) to a Gixxer 11 and lived to tell the tale, although there was a very Darwinian process of adjustment, which I was fortunate enough to survive.

Leaping straight onto an R1 is sure gonna be exciting - any mistakes you make will sure happen mighty damn quick on one of those. Conversely, a swift clean overtaking maneuver on a 1000 EXUP will be a lot easier, swifter, more decisive and safer than the same maneuver on a TZR250.

There is a middle ground, but the current R6 is perhaps not it. The very latest versions are very peaky in their power delivery, and even experienced riders find this a bit tiresome, although the track boys can't get enough of them. Hovever, the early R6s can be had quite cheaply and are less likely to spring any nasty surprises on you and come with a pleasantly flexible mid range with no nasty abrupt powerband.

Best of all, it won't raid your wallet like a big bike, yet it'll still have enough performance that it'll keep you interested as your experience grows.

Be sensible though - even a 50 mph head on is gonna kill you regardless of the bike between your legs, so take it easy until your fully au fait.

Good luck.

to be honest mate it just depends on your self, i have friends who started on ninjas, cbrs, ect, even on r1's, also have friends who started on aprilia rs125's and rgv250's

obviously there are exceptions to the rule but the ones who start on the smaller bikes especially the 2 strokes with narrow screaming powerbands, turn out to be the better riders, they learn so much more about limits and using the bike to its potential, any idiot can make an r1 do 160 down the straight but its the guy keeping on him round the twisties on his rs125 that shows has all the control and techniques

mmm i seee.... maybe i should start with a 125 LOL. but i was searchin about the Aprilia RS125, it looks really nice. but u can't get that in the US huh? also. aren't 2 strokes harder to handle regardless of engine size cause of the peaky power band?

mmm i seee.... maybe i should start with a 125 LOL. but i was searchin about the Aprilia RS125, it looks really nice. but u can't get that in the US huh? also. aren't 2 strokes harder to handle regardless of engine size cause of the peaky power band?

most 2 stroke bikes arent street legal in the us

yeah obviously you have dif laws to us ect, 2 strokes are eventually gonna be fazed out over here too, as is happening in gps at the min with the 250 class weighing up a 600 4 stroke to replace it,

strokers arnt harder to handle at all no mate, ull prob find your self being alot slower on one until u improve your ability, which is why there good for learners, its hard work to make them go fast, so u get faster as your ability improves, at which rate you will be ready for riding fast, if you get me??

but this is by the by if you cant have them in the us lol, best bet is to look at a sporty small capacity bike, rather than a supersports like r6 cbr600rr ect,

i dont know how it works over there, i know u have the r6s and r6r, and things like that, but our r6 is a pure track bike basically, and not only is it hard work on the road, its defo not for novices, who prefer the old r6's because they have power low down, but essentially less power and a more forgiving chassis

all i can say is take as many bikes as u can for good test rides, see how u feel, its ultimately your decision

awesome thanks guys!

quick question. for new riders, how much rough estimate would insurance cost? i'm new to insurance as well. well i mean in setting it up for myself i've never done it. and not sure what the terms mean. i went to AAA.com put it for an r6 and r6s. i think imma grab one of those two to learn on. mainly cause i can't get a cheap one then drop it to buy another. i'm just gonna be super cautious really. i doubt i'll even go on streets for a while until i get a handle on it. thsi isn't really a means for transportation for me, but just the enjoyment of riding. but anyway i went to get a qutoe, and i just left it as is, like the standard options and it was about 7-8k per year... my bike payments are gonna be for a span of either 2-3 years. and the cost of insurance for me anyway is already the cost of my bike.

I like the sales blurb for the mini Ninja (Minja?)...

"Smallest Ninja handles better than most superbikes".

Most superbikes made before WWII maybe.

It was a shockingly dull, if harmless bike, that was so lacking in any particular area that it was pulled from sale after only a year or so over here. It's like the small car of motorcycling - it'll get you around with no thought, but won't set your pants on fire with excitement, and that is, after all, the whole point of motorcycling (unless you're a tight fisted old timer with no car licence).

haha. hey so i went to a motorcycle dealership. i was looking at the r6's and the r6s' i heard that the new r6 has better power to it, as well as handling. you think if i were to throw on an exhaust like the one on the r6 it would mess that up cause of weight distribution

i'm in a dilema because i want the new r6 style, but the old r6s exhaust look xD haha. i'm realy for looks, cause anything with 2 wheels and a motor will prolly wet my pants. also. once after this 2008 r6 comes out, do you guys think there'll be some kind of minor change in the aesthetics of the bike like they do on cars after 3 years in 1 generation? i'm just hoping it's not a major change and end up buying something i don't want because something came out only a few more months later.

Hey Tall Guy stop dissing my lovely 250 Ninja ya big bully :angry:

Mine wuz girlie yellow with a purple belly pan (colour scheme only seems available in Oz now but I figured there was more chance of the cages seeing me comin, that and my big ol split my face in half GRIN) and for a learner it wuz more than enuf fun ta very much.

Pnoidrummer: I take it you've done a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course as a minimum?! I can recommend two books "How to ride a Motorcycle" by Pat Hahn and "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L Hough, your local Borders store should have 'em and or Amazon and at least you won't have to transpose the corner lines over to the "correct" side of the road :lol:

Plus challenge yourself to try this little lot in a quiet parking lot UK 2008 Motorcyle test manouvres as this is wot UK learners will have to do from next October. Then breath a sigh of relief and count yourself lucky that you're not this side of the pond :blink: Sorry 'bout the dodgy spelling.

If I wuz still in LA I'd also be planning on doing an ERC course with MSF but Yoda can testify to the fact that I'm a bit of a training/practicing freak ;) Doesn't mean we shouldn't ALL be doing more training. In the UK find the Bike Safe course with your local police force and anyone who can use their brakes as little as a Class 1 Motorcycle Police Rider earns serious respect in our neck of the woods.

Be safe and ENJOY!

Amanda

Hey Tall Guy stop dissing my lovely 250 Ninja ya big bully :angry:
Sorry dude, no intention do bullying or anything - it's my opinion, and a reportage of the way the UK market received the model, and I never claimed it to be anything else, so don't have an aneurysm.

If it floats your boat, then fine.

Guest Brian Bonner

Sorry dude, no intention do bullying or anything - it's my opinion, and a reportage of the way the UK market received the model, and I never claimed it to be anything else, so don't have an aneurysm.

If it floats your boat, then fine.

<joke> I think she's actually a dudette as opposed to a dude. </joke>

yeah i took the msf. i heard about the police training thing, if i do get one i belive i will go do that as well. it's the parents who really don't want me in having one, and because i have no credit points i cannot get one. blah, oh well. i'm hoping to look for the new 2009 r6 with a little design difference in the mean time whil i build up my credit. maybe i'll grab that instead of the 06-08 models. xD