xs 400se

gateway
This post is 6049 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i am redoing a yamaha xs400 1980 the problum i have is the clutch does not in gage when the the cluch handley is pulled in to change gear i have renewed the clutch plates and still does it does any one have any ideas what else it could be thanks les

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think you mean that the clutch does not disengage when the lever is pulled.

If you have overhauled the clutch then you have left something out when reassembling it. The cable pulls on a lever that presses in and releases the plates against the springs. So if it is not releasing there is something missing. This could mean that that the actuating mechanism has wiorn out and therefore cannot activate the clutch. It could also be that the cable is too long and therefore not pulling the lever mechanism enough.

You will have to check the cable then take the cover off and see whats happening inside.

i am redoing a yamaha xs400 1980 the problum i have is the clutch does not in gage when the the cluch handley is pulled in to change gear i have renewed the clutch plates and still does it does any one have any ideas what else it could be thanks les

I suspect the ball bearing at the end of the pushrod is missing

I suspect the ball bearing at the end of the pushrod is missing

hi the ballberaring is in the end of the clutch leaver on the right handside of the engine and it pushes the rod through to the clutch plates as i have put a screwdriver in there and when i pull the clutch cable handle in it puches the screwdriver out about a inch

I think you mean that the clutch does not disengage when the lever is pulled.

If you have overhauled the clutch then you have left something out when reassembling it. The cable pulls on a lever that presses in and releases the plates against the springs. So if it is not releasing there is something missing. This could mean that that the actuating mechanism has wiorn out and therefore cannot activate the clutch. It could also be that the cable is too long and therefore not pulling the lever mechanism enough.

You will have to check the cable then take the cover off and see whats happening inside.

hi the clutch cable is at the right lengh i have put a screwdriver in were the little piston that comes out when i pull on the clutch and it comes out about a inch but when i put it all bact together it does not do anything i am wondering if it could be the springs as when i first took it apart the plate was not in the groves and the person who put the new clutch plates in did not see what he done and compressed the springs to much i have ordered new springs

hi the clutch cable is at the right lengh i have put a screwdriver in were the little piston that comes out when i pull on the clutch and it comes out about a inch but when i put it all bact together it does not do anything i am wondering if it could be the springs as when i first took it apart the plate was not in the groves and the person who put the new clutch plates in did not see what he done and compressed the springs to much i have ordered new springs

the springs should measure 34.6mm free length. if they measure 1mm less than this, then they should be replaced.

Is the mushroom head on the end of the rod?

check for warped plates using a sheet of glass

the springs should measure 34.6mm free length. if they measure 1mm less than this, then they should be replaced.

Is the mushroom head on the end of the rod?

check for warped plates using a sheet of glass

hi the plates are ok and there is a mushroom head at the end of the rod that pushes againts the metel plate were the springs bolt on to that puches againts the clutch plates

hi the plates are ok and there is a mushroom head at the end of the rod that pushes againts the metel plate were the springs bolt on to that puches againts the clutch plates

re-check your clutch actuating mechanism has been installed the right way round and is fed correctly with the screw part.

Also check the "fingers" of the clutch basket that they are not ridged as this will prevent the plates separating. you can dress them a bit but not too much or the plates will start chattering.