advice needed

dirtdog
This post is 6099 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My son has a 98 ttr 125. It recently has been bored with new piston&rings, Probably only a couple hours on new parts. Bike al;ways starts on 2nd or third kick.Very dependable.Went to race last night..kid statred bike up and drove over to practice...bike sputtered and died. Wouldnt start..even pushing it. Pulled plug...it has spark when we kick it. Pulled fuel line...gas coming into carb. Using same gas as last race so gas should be fine.Im thinking maybe a clogged jet but my sons saying it doesnt feel like it has the same compression (feels ok to me). My compression gauge is too big to fit plug hole so I cant check it at the moment.Any ideas??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Fuel is going in to carb - but is it coming out? - if you pull the plug can you see/smell petrol on the plug?

Try a drop (and I mean a drop) of petrol down the pot to see if it 'pops'.

Have you tried the thumb over the plug hole to test for compression? On the basis that work was done on the rings I would start here first.

;)

i recently had a problem with my tzr not starting, just after a rebuild and i ran it in very gently so i didnt think of looking at the rings but before we found out it was the rings if it was kicked over hard it felt like all of the compression was still there but if it was kicked over slowly there was no compression atall, maybe this might help? its always a good idea to give the carb a good clean with some carb cleaner and squirt out all of the jets and the reeds also if its a 2 stroke. :) (Y)