xj900f

smokie
This post is 1945 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

does anyone out there have a xj900f and what are they're opinion of it

i have a 1992 modle and find it a comfy bike that has good power range even two up

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Ive got an 85 xj 900 and Ive owned it 12 years I got it off a despatch rider,its the Volvo of motorbikes , its cheap to run,and if it does break , cheap and easy to fix. I have found regular new plugs, and a well charged battery,have been the key to reliability. Ive always thrashed my bikes and there is plenty of power without silly speeds.All my mates bikes depreciate so badly I get the additional pleasure zero depreciation..........................................................

• 2 weeks later...

hi alibongo sorry for not replying sooner. have you ever had any problem with your petrol tank? i hear they are prone to rusting inside and was going to drain mine this winter and put in some por 15 tank sealer

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?cat...;frostCat=Tanks

link above for it sounds good stuff any opinions would be welcomed :unsure:

The tanks all go sooner or later at the bottom rear corners. The stuff Frosts are selling sounds OK, but I'd find out first what exactly it is. I've heard some bad reports of Petseal, which is I think fibreglass-resin-based, breaking up in the tank (though plenty sells, and many people swear by it...), but a synthetic rubber slosh sealant should be OK. Try Googling- Wassell Lincoln -and there's info there on their own product - I've just bought half a litre to do my own 900F.

I agree with you on the 900F - it's an absolute cracker. I've got a 900 Divvie as well, and that's going - I'm going to replace it with another 900F - the 900F is just a nicer bike. I should have got one years ago!

BOF (40 years of bodging...)

hi there BOF have googled wassell lincoln but could not find what you are on about could you give me a link also when you do your tank let me know how it goes as i would rather seal the tank before it leaks than after, i took my 900f down to keswick in august and it went with out a hitch and only stopped for petrol it's a great bike :rolleyes:

cheers fae colin

hi there BOF have googled wassell lincoln but could not find what you are on about could you give me a link also when you do your tank let me know how it goes as i would rather seal the tank before it leaks than after, i took my 900f down to keswick in august and it went with out a hitch and only stopped for petrol it's a great bike :rolleyes:

cheers fae colin

Okay Smokie.

The link is http://www.totalbikebits.com/

I'll let you know how it goes. I rather hope the stuff will be good for repairing carb diaphragms as well - my XS850 won't rev past 5000 rpm in any gear, and I'm pretty sure it's the diaphragms.

BOF

• 4 months later...

hi there just to let you know i have opted for the por 15 product and have just finished what it said on the tin. inside of the tank looks like new , seems to have done a good job but only time will tell :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just bought my first bike after 32 yrs. A xj900f!

Bit of a culture shock as my last bike was a rd125!!!!!!

I find it very comfortable for the "larger" rider & so far is very forgiving.

The only problem I have is pins & needles in the fingers & palms after about 20 mins. I'm prepared to accept I could be hanging on to tight :lol:

I hope to keep this 89 model for a while & do some touring in the summer, she's got 60k on the clovk.

Hi,

The only problem I have is pins & needles in the fingers & palms after about 20 mins. I'm prepared to accept I could be hanging on to tight :lol:

I hope to keep this 89 model for a while & do some touring in the summer, she's got 60k on the clovk.

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might need to put some bar weights in to change the vibration frequency to stop the above problem.

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might need to put some bar weights in to change the vibration frequency to stop the above problem.

OMG bar weights?

What do they look like?

But thanks for the help, perhaps you could help with something else. Tyres on this bike are very thin, 100/90 F & 120/90 R any suggestions on tyre makes to get more rubber on the road. Back will need changing soon. Should I get identical tread patterns front & rear.

OMG bar weights?

What do they look like?

But thanks for the help, perhaps you could help with something else. Tyres on this bike are very thin, 100/90 F & 120/90 R any suggestions on tyre makes to get more rubber on the road. Back will need changing soon. Should I get identical tread patterns front & rear.

bar weights are what go in the end of the handle bars to take some or all of the vibration similar to balance weights on a road wheel

as for tyres see other listing you have

also relax while on your bike try not to hold on to tight . enjoy your bike i think the xj 900f is great

• Like 1

bar weights are what go in the end of the handle bars to take some or all of the vibration similar to balance weights on a road wheel

as for tyres see other listing you have

also relax while on your bike try not to hold on to tight . enjoy your bike i think the xj 900f is great

Thanks smokie, I'll try to relax I'm sure that's part of the problem :rolleyes:

I think I'll go for Bridgestones front & rear, I only paid £500 for the bike so it won't break the bank. The tank looks very good no sign of rust would you recommend treating it anyway? I want to keep the bike for a while as it seems to do eveything I need.

Does anyone one know if there ate any full fairings out there for this bike?

Thanks smokie, I'll try to relax I'm sure that's part of the problem :rolleyes:

I think I'll go for Bridgestones front & rear, I only paid £500 for the bike so it won't break the bank. The tank looks very good no sign of rust would you recommend treating it anyway? I want to keep the bike for a while as it seems to do eveything I need.

Does anyone one know if there ate any full fairings out there for this bike?

the tank will rust from inside out due to the water from condensation and rain sitting in this lower part of the tank, after much research , debating and ermmmmm mmmmmhhhhhhhhh ing i decided to go for prevention rather than the repair and opted for por 15. only time will tell if i have wasted time and money on this method so all i can say is do some research into which product to use (if any). i must say ; after i had done my tank the inside that i could see looked like new.

i can not comment on the full fairing as i have not looked into that but maybe the lads on the xj900f forum may be able to help (http://uk.msnusers.com/yamahaxj900fownersclub/ome.msnw) i have only had my xj900f for 1 year so i am still getting to know how to fix it

hope you get your finger probelm sorted ,enjoy your xj900fwhen the weather gets better :lol:

the tank will rust from inside out due to the water from condensation and rain sitting in this lower part of the tank, after much research , debating and ermmmmm mmmmmhhhhhhhhh ing i decided to go for prevention rather than the repair and opted for por 15. only time will tell if i have wasted time and money on this method so all i can say is do some research into which product to use (if any). i must say ; after i had done my tank the inside that i could see looked like new.

i can not comment on the full fairing as i have not looked into that but maybe the lads on the xj900f forum may be able to help (http://uk.msnusers.com/yamahaxj900fownersclub/ome.msnw) i have only had my xj900f for 1 year so i am still getting to know how to fix it

hope you get your finger probelm sorted ,enjoy your xj900fwhen the weather gets better :lol:

Hi Smokie,

The inside of my tank is all shiney & new looking, & all the edges & welds sharp, although a few scrapes on the paintwork so it's not new. Could have been done already.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi,

before messing with new bar weights mate - get the carbs balanced - the XJ series motors are silky smooth if balanced correctly - hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, I've had my 900F for just over 2 years, bought it off 'SillyBay', for £400 after she had stood unused for 2 years.

Got her home on the Saturday, had a quick look over it on Sunday, put it in for an MOT on Monday, just needed fork seals and front wheel bearings. Got her back on the Tuesday, and we where off to the Rock n Blues Rally on the Thursday, 2's up and fully loaded, see pic below. She sailed there and back with no problems at all, except a bit of a wobble at slow speed's!

Since then she has only let me down the once! That was through the winter last year, I'd been out for a ride when the heavens above dropped their contents on me for about 3 hours. Just wouldn't stop. When I got home I just shoved her in the garage, and didn't use it again for about 5 or 6 days. When I did get her out, she just wouldn't start, ended up with a Bat Flattery!! :rolleyes:

But, while charging battery, I cleaned her down, checked the plugs etc, and once back together, she started up first time, deep sigh of relieve :sigh2:

I find mine very comfy too, and seems as though she will plod along forever.

As mentioned above, I do have a slight wobble on the front end when going slow, especially with luggage on the back, or the Missus! Not quite sure what is causing it! I think my Left Hand Front Disc is slightly warped, could it be this??!!

Mine does have a high mileage of approx 92000, but as said if I can sort this wobble, any advice/ideas would be helpful, I will be well happy :D

As said in posts above, these are great bikes, and should be enjoyed.

Thanx

Micky

27072007vi1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I've had my 900F for just over 2 years, bought it off 'SillyBay', for £400 after she had stood unused for 2 years.

Got her home on the Saturday, had a quick look over it on Sunday, put it in for an MOT on Monday, just needed fork seals and front wheel bearings. Got her back on the Tuesday, and we where off to the Rock n Blues Rally on the Thursday, 2's up and fully loaded, see pic below. She sailed there and back with no problems at all, except a bit of a wobble at slow speed's!

Since then she has only let me down the once! That was through the winter last year, I'd been out for a ride when the heavens above dropped their contents on me for about 3 hours. Just wouldn't stop. When I got home I just shoved her in the garage, and didn't use it again for about 5 or 6 days. When I did get her out, she just wouldn't start, ended up with a Bat Flattery!! :rolleyes:

But, while charging battery, I cleaned her down, checked the plugs etc, and once back together, she started up first time, deep sigh of relieve :sigh2:

I find mine very comfy too, and seems as though she will plod along forever.

As mentioned above, I do have a slight wobble on the front end when going slow, especially with luggage on the back, or the Missus! Not quite sure what is causing it! I think my Left Hand Front Disc is slightly warped, could it be this??!!

Mine does have a high mileage of approx 92000, but as said if I can sort this wobble, any advice/ideas would be helpful, I will be well happy :D

As said in posts above, these are great bikes, and should be enjoyed.

Thanx

Micky

27072007vi1.jpg

with that much weight over the back end I'm not surprised the front end went light and wobbled mate !!!!

my 900F doesn't wobble - try fitting modern tyres - you will be amazed at the handling difference

btw the FJ1200 had the same problem when loaded at back (see Pic)

File0031.jpg

this bike weaved like a bitch and wobbled at low speeds - removed the top box and cured the problem instantly ...

these 2 - dont wobble or weave

File0030a.jpg

DSCN5455.jpg

hope this helps ...

JD :D

Hi JD, thanx for that mate.

Ok in the picture it may have a lot on board. But, even naked it still wobbles, ok not so severely!!

What sort of tyres would you recommend?

Thanx

Micky

• 2 weeks later...

[ive got the blue and white one too. fantastic bikes. bullet proof. comfy. relaxing. pretty quick. (enuff to surprise every r6 ive met). had mine 18 months. done over 60k miles. 600 in one day and no numb bum till well over 500 miles. love it to pieces

oh and i run avon roadriders. never had a problem except when i hit a hundred yard ice sheet, took the right hand side out, indicators footrests exhaust. good laugh too look back on tho.

This post is 1945 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.