2007 V-Star Forum

Revans310
This post is 5847 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2007 V STAR 1300 Tourer :angry: - I was shocked that every 4000 miles the valves have to be adjusted. The cost is around $150 each time. If I had known this I would have never bought the bike. I believe Yamaha should be responsible for this. I've had bikes since 1964 and have never had a motor that needed the valves adjusted every 4000 miles. A valve adjustment is a normal occurance when the bike has been riden for awhile, but every 4000 miles doesn't say much for the reliability of the motor. I've had Harleys, Hondas, Suzukis, Bridgestones, Ducatis and am 59 years of age, but this will be my last Yamaha. I may get rid of it after my Daytona trip in October. I'd appreciate some feedback and if enough people feel as I do, maybe we can let Yamaha know. This is the first bike I have ever felt disappointed about. The bike overall is a great rider and performer. I ride with all Harley friends and they can't believe the every 4000 mile valve adjustment. Feedback please!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2007 V Star 1300 Tourer. I came over from a 06 Harley Sportster 883. True the valves have to be adjusted every 4 to 8k miles. However, at least as the 06 883 standard goes, Harley riders have very high cost maintenance schedules. The 04-06 883s have a carb problem that requires a Stage 1 upgrade to correct. The upgrade doesnt fix the issue completely. Occasionally, when one opens the throttle, the bike spits and sputters. That mod costs about $1000 with labor and is usually done within the first few months of ownership. The dealer is unable to tune this issue out. There are quality issues and service issues. Not that the Yammy wont have some of their own, but dont let those guys riding Harleys fool ya. Owning one is not a trouble, maintenance free endeavor. I had the bike for 14 months, service couldnt figure out why I was getting intermittent check engine and battery lights, the spedo sensor went, somewhere around 3 or 4 voltage regulators were replaced, the cheap plastic clips to hold the battery cover on fail which cause the cover to come loose and fall of while riding. The two nuts holding the exhaust nuts on kept loosening and falling off. Theres more. Harley guys will probably, no they will argue, but they are no better with respect to quality or service as any other manufacturer. You pay for the name. More and More people are realizing this. Thats why Harley is closing 4 plants for a week in November due to sagging sales.

2007 V STAR 1300 Tourer :angry: - I was shocked that every 4000 miles the valves have to be adjusted. The cost is around $150 each time. If I had known this I would have never bought the bike. I believe Yamaha should be responsible for this. I've had bikes since 1964 and have never had a motor that needed the valves adjusted every 4000 miles. A valve adjustment is a normal occurance when the bike has been riden for awhile, but every 4000 miles doesn't say much for the reliability of the motor. I've had Harleys, Hondas, Suzukis, Bridgestones, Ducatis and am 59 years of age, but this will be my last Yamaha. I may get rid of it after my Daytona trip in October. I'd appreciate some feedback and if enough people feel as I do, maybe we can let Yamaha know. This is the first bike I have ever felt disappointed about. The bike overall is a great rider and performer. I ride with all Harley friends and they can't believe the every 4000 mile valve adjustment. Feedback please!!!

I just bought a 2007 V Star 1300 Tourer. I came over from a 06 Harley Sportster 883. True the valves have to be adjusted every 4 to 8k miles. However, at least as the 06 883 standard goes, Harley riders have very high cost maintenance schedules. The 04-06 883s have a carb problem that requires a Stage 1 upgrade to correct. The upgrade doesnt fix the issue completely. Occasionally, when one opens the throttle, the bike spits and sputters. That mod costs about $1000 with labor and is usually done within the first few months of ownership. The dealer is unable to tune this issue out. There are quality issues and service issues. Not that the Yammy wont have some of their own, but dont let those guys riding Harleys fool ya. Owning one is not a trouble, maintenance free endeavor. I had the bike for 14 months, service couldnt figure out why I was getting intermittent check engine and battery lights, the spedo sensor went, somewhere around 3 or 4 voltage regulators were replaced, the cheap plastic clips to hold the battery cover on fail which cause the cover to come loose and fall of while riding. The two nuts holding the exhaust nuts on kept loosening and falling off. Theres more. Harley guys will probably, no they will argue, but they are no better with respect to quality or service as any other manufacturer. You pay for the name. More and More people are realizing this. Thats why Harley is closing 4 plants for a week in November due to sagging sales.

Glad to get 1 reply, I was beginning to wonder if anyone else rode a 2007 V Star 1300. My main contention is I feel Yamaha back doored me on the sale of the bike by not disclosing the valve issue. Adjusting valves every 4000 miles does not build confidence on the reliability of the motor. Unknown problems with a bike is always expected nowdays any make, it happens. After my Daytona trip I'll decide if I'm going to keep the bike. In June I'm riding to Missoula, Montana and don't want to stop inbetween Illinois and Montana to get the valves adjusted. I still feel this valve problem should have been disclosed before the sale of any 1300 V Stars. Thanks again for replying.

they are finding the valves to be fine in 99% of 1300s and most shops are telling customers , dont worry about it and ride. my local shop hasnt found any valves out all the way to 12000 miles. the reason i was told yamaha suggested it was due to heat in the engine, for which they say isnt a factor as first thought. the motor is running cool and fine. but if for some reason you get the bike hotter then norm it might be a good thing,

i also came from a harley, 03 fatboy and have no regrets. I sold my bike put 10,000 in the bank and paid cash for the 1300 and have never looked back. they are to different animals but both having merit

Hello All !

I just purchased a 1300 tourer last week. I really enjoy riding this bike after years of riding Kawasaki Nomad. The Nomad was just too heavy for me . I am 69 years old and find the 1300 much easier to handle and plenty of power.

I have had the dealer do the 600 mile oil and filter change. He said not to worry about the valve adjustment for the next 3 or 4 thousand miles. It is my intention to keep a close ear for valve noise and screw the 4,000 mile interval.

My first complaint is the noise from the transmission. Seems to vary with speed and acceleration.

Any of you guys find the wind buffeting behind windshield bad ? I looked for lowers but found none I liked. I am lucky to have some metal working experience and bought some stainless steel and made a set of lowers that worked even better than expected ( better than on the Nomad).

I am looking forward to many enjoyable trips on this bike.

James

Naaaa ...no buffering for me.

I am finding it hard to get used to the gear ratios compared to what Im used to on the Sporty. I did here and feel a vibration the other day when in the friction zone. Ill mention this when it goes in next at 4k ... already have 1300 miles in 2 weeks ownership. One other thing I dont like is that my overpant keeps getting stuck on the exhaust cover. When commuting, I go full dress, Armored riding pants, chest and back protector in addition to my armored gloves and jacket. Anyone commuting on I-40 in the rtp area of NC knows what Im talking about. Anyway, my pants keep getting hooked on the exahaust.

The position of the ignition could be a little higher. I find myself messing around with the key change to get the key in and out.

Thats all the bad stuff. The good stuff definitely out weighs the bad. I have to keep an eye on my spedo. This dam bike hits 75, 80 in a heart beat. Dont need more tickets ... get enough of those driving the Hemi. :)

Im not sure what your local dealers are offering. But I bought an maintenance plan for 999.00 for 3 years unlimited miles and all parts and labor is included, excluding tires and brake linings.

Hello All !

I just purchased a 1300 tourer last week. I really enjoy riding this bike after years of riding Kawasaki Nomad. The Nomad was just too heavy for me . I am 69 years old and find the 1300 much easier to handle and plenty of power.

I have had the dealer do the 600 mile oil and filter change. He said not to worry about the valve adjustment for the next 3 or 4 thousand miles. It is my intention to keep a close ear for valve noise and screw the 4,000 mile interval.

My first complaint is the noise from the transmission. Seems to vary with speed and acceleration.

Any of you guys find the wind buffeting behind windshield bad ? I looked for lowers but found none I liked. I am lucky to have some metal working experience and bought some stainless steel and made a set of lowers that worked even better than expected ( better than on the Nomad).

I am looking forward to many enjoyable trips on this bike.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I understand your concern as I too have a 2007 V-Star 1300 and have been trying to decide if I was willing to pay for the valve adjustment. My buddy who rides Yam. said that his dealer told him that you don't really need to get that done unless you suspect or hear the valves.

I am about to hit the 600 mile mark where Yam. says you need to have the valves adjusted but paying for it dosen't sound like something I want to do. In this day of technology, it seems obsurd to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I upgraded from a 650 to the 1300. I love the rided but I need some lower wind deflectors! The dealer didn't know of anyone that had any for the bike so I took the ones off my 650 in hopes I could use them. The people at the Yami place told me about a website that had modifications for exactly that. Anyone know about it?

• 3 months later...

i bought the 1300 last week in black, im a big fan, kinda jumping in the deep end though never having a road bike, but within 15-20 mins i was doing 50mph+ comfortably, as for the valve issue i have buddies with crotch rockets that have this issue, and they never go on the mfg schedule, 1 friend told me he does it once a year and its never far off,well withing not adjusting it, and thats on a hayabusa you know 17000rpm range and he has 12k hard miles on it, B) have fun and be safe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online