good or bad deal !!!!

stuextreme
This post is 6117 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys well i've got a 99 r6 as my first bike !!

but since i've had it i've been havin problems the bike has done 20 thousand on the clock and i have no service history with it.

first of all when riding its ok but the problem i'm havin is when i pull up to juctions or ride at low revs it will cut out and sometimes as you pull away it will struggle really bad like its wants to cut out then come to life... quite scary sometimes.

as for the good or bad deal took it to a local yamaha dealer they told me it was the throttle position sensor was faulty

they have changed that... and the bike still has the problem so now they said its the vavle stems seals have worn and need doin so i don't burn them out.

so just want to know are they takin me for a ride to get more money or could this be right.

any help will be appricatied

cheers stu

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

right things are going bad to worse just had phone call off garage.

now they sayin its the vavle stems themselfs as the compression is low said bout 110 i think ?

and they need grindin and lappin back in. so doesn't look like i will see the road this year

can anyone throw some light on this or just try and cheer me up.

Ok - don't know if this will be of help/cheer you up:

If the valve stem oil seals or the valve stems are worn then you will be burning oil, particularly noticeable when you first start up by a cloud of blueish smoke from the exhaust. If you are mechanically handy - you could re-lap the valves yourself all you need is a can of paste, a 'lapping' tool and a lot of patience! If your valve guides are worn this is a job for a local engineering company who maybe able to fit new sleeves - or you could consider a new cyclinder head.

Explore all the possibilities unless your garage give you a blinding quote on the repair!

Good luck

:rolleyes:

If its valves worn then the sure fire way to tell is blue smoke from the excess oil getting past, this will be more noticible when you start the bike. Beware that the dealers not going to strip the engine then say the bores are worn! Find a mate or friend of a friend who can give a second opinion unless you feel you can trust the dealer? Are you being charged for the parts they have fitted so far that have not worked and if so did they need changing...............

If its valves worn then the sure fire way to tell is blue smoke from the excess oil getting past, this will be more noticible when you start the bike. Beware that the dealers not going to strip the engine then say the bores are worn! Find a mate or friend of a friend who can give a second opinion unless you feel you can trust the dealer? Are you being charged for the parts they have fitted so far that have not worked and if so did they need changing...............

hi guys well i've got a 99 r6 as my first bike !!

but since i've had it i've been havin problems the bike has done 20 thousand on the clock and i have no service history with it.

first of all when riding its ok but the problem i'm havin is when i pull up to juctions or ride at low revs it will cut out and sometimes as you pull away it will struggle really bad like its wants to cut out then come to life... quite scary sometimes.

as for the good or bad deal took it to a local yamaha dealer they told me it was the throttle position sensor was faulty

they have changed that... and the bike still has the problem so now they said its the vavle stems seals have worn and need doin so i don't burn them out.

so just want to know are they takin me for a ride to get more money or could this be right.

any help will be appricatied

cheers stu

you may be able to find new cylinder head

hi guys well got my bike out that garage......

all they did was fit a new tps which wasn't broke in the first place and charged me £275 and left my bike in bits just to keep the cost down for me.

so had it picked up and took it to some friendly people i know.

they have found out that my compression is down in all cyl as they showed me while they did it.

cyl 1 : 100psi

cyl 2 : 120psi

cyl 3 : 150psi

cyl 4 : 100psi

and they told me they will relap the vavle's for me for £80 and rebuild the bike all i have to get is head gasket and vavle stem seals and should be ready for monday

so hopefully that would have cured my problem will let you know

cheers stu

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online