Riding in Southern Ireland .... be aware!

Scotty
This post is 6132 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, just a few words of warning to anyone to anyone planning to ride/tour in the South of Ireland. earlier this year we were in Donegal, great weather, good dry conditions ,very low traffic volumes on the road, ideal motorcycling roads,with one drawback, On our way back to Greencastle to catch the ferry back to the North,the lead bike in our group lost control on a gentle downhill right hander. This was entirely due to the road surface, which was covered in what looked like quarry dust, loose stones,(that had been spilled from lorries using the road from a nearby construction site) there was no warning of any kind of this danger on an otherwise good road. to cut a long story short, the guy was very seriously injured,and his life only saved by a passing Fire engine crew on their way to a gorse fire.

But my warning, is not only on the bad unmarked road hazzards. but two weeks after he got home from hospital, he received a bill for 1000 euro from the Donegal authorities for services rendered.

he has told them that he will pay them from the settlement he gets from sueing Donegal council for criminal neglegence.

so take care,

ride safe...

Scotty

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, just a few words of warning to anyone to anyone planning to ride/tour in the South of Ireland. earlier this year we were in Donegal, great weather, good dry conditions ,very low traffic volumes on the road, ideal motorcycling roads,with one drawback, On our way back to Greencastle to catch the ferry back to the North,the lead bike in our group lost control on a gentle downhill right hander. This was entirely due to the road surface, which was covered in what looked like quarry dust, loose stones,(that had been spilled from lorries using the road from a nearby construction site) there was no warning of any kind of this danger on an otherwise good road. to cut a long story short, the guy was very seriously injured,and his life only saved by a passing Fire engine crew on their way to a gorse fire.

But my warning, is not only on the bad unmarked road hazzards. but two weeks after he got home from hospital, he received a bill for 1000 euro from the Donegal authorities for services rendered.

he has told them that he will pay them from the settlement he gets from sueing Donegal council for criminal neglegence.

so take care,

ride safe...

Scotty

I had a similar experience in Scotland in May this year. Five of us were riding up the side of Loch Ness just outside a place called Morriston. I had just rounded a left bend with a motorbike sitting up against the armco on the other side of the road. About 100yds down the road we were being waved down to slow down so I pulled over and the guys who waved us down pointed at the road. It was covered in diesel. Two people with them had come down in the diesel and one was just being taken to hospital. (He was ok and signed himself out later). I then noticed 3 of the guys with me were missing. I turned round and went back to discover one of them had fallen at the left hander. He had hit a patch of new tarmac on the bend and his rear wheel left him. He was ok but had £1300 of damage to his Tiger. We also discovered that 2 other guys had come down at the corner earlier on that morning. So that was 5 accidents not 100yrds apart that morning and there wasnt a sign out warning of the danger and from what we could find out the police were informed about the accidents. My mates trying to find out if he has a case to help pay for his bike. Teedy.

I had a similar experience in Scotland in May this year. Five of us were riding up the side of Loch Ness just outside a place called Morriston. I had just rounded a left bend with a motorbike sitting up against the armco on the other side of the road. About 100yds down the road we were being waved down to slow down so I pulled over and the guys who waved us down pointed at the road. It was covered in diesel. Two people with them had come down in the diesel and one was just being taken to hospital. (He was ok and signed himself out later). I then noticed 3 of the guys with me were missing. I turned round and went back to discover one of them had fallen at the left hander. He had hit a patch of new tarmac on the bend and his rear wheel left him. He was ok but had £1300 of damage to his Tiger. We also discovered that 2 other guys had come down at the corner earlier on that morning. So that was 5 accidents not 100yrds apart that morning and there wasnt a sign out warning of the danger and from what we could find out the police were informed about the accidents. My mates trying to find out if he has a case to help pay for his bike. Teedy.

JUst goes to show, roads can be dangerous anywhere.................

THats why we need to ride with caution and always be on the lookout for road hazards...........

not only grit or diesel, this time of year road kill can be treacherous.........

Ride Safe

FJ

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online