Virago 500 WON'T START!

Reg Virago
This post is 2394 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was recently "given" a 1983 Virago XV500K. I figured I'd ride it for a year and then move up. Unfortunately after only 2 weeks, tthe bike won't start. Now, I'm a complete novice at bike repairs - I have the manual and a meter (digital), but every time I think I might have it solved, I hit the start button and all I hear is a "click" from the right side.

The battery is new, I installed and tested a new fuse block and no luck. I've seen info about the side stand cut off and how some people have disconnected it so they could at least ride. I don't know how to do this, but I'd be willing to try. Any help - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Reg Virago

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Reg

Bypassing the sidestand switch is a piece of cake ;)

Disconnect the 2 wires from the switch & just twist 'em together completing the circuit

Then remove the switch & just tuck the wires away on the frame somewhere out of the way....

To make this a little cleaner, you could trace the wires back to a connector, probably somewhere near the backbone of the frame & cut 'em there before you join 'em to complete that circuit.

Another possibility of a culprit to your symptoms, could be a starter relay that's located near the battery...probably what's making that "click" when you hit the starter button.

It's certainly not going to hurt anything by doing the switch bypass 1st.....as a process of elimination.

Best of Luck & don't give up...you'll find it

Pretty common prob with alot of older Yamaha's ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

I've had the same problem.  I got home; readjusted my handle bars; then it wouldn't start.  It made a "click" sound and was then dead.  I got the lights to come back on before using the starter button.  As soon as I pressed it, it did a little "click" that sounded like it was by the starter and then everything went dead again.  The battery is really good.  The lights have not come back on and it's deader than a door nail, electrically.  All the fuses are good too.  The battery is still good.

So bypassing the starter by cutting & splicing the 2 wires will make it so when I turn the key, it will just start?  I know enough mechanically to be dangerous to myself, so specifics would help. :)    Thank you.

1 hour ago, KyukidoMaster said:

I've had the same problem.  I got home; readjusted my handle bars; then it wouldn't start.  It made a "click" sound and was then dead.  I got the lights to come back on before using the starter button.  As soon as I pressed it, it did a little "click" that sounded like it was by the starter and then everything went dead again.  The battery is really good.  The lights have not come back on and it's deader than a door nail, electrically.  All the fuses are good too.  The battery is still good.

So bypassing the starter by cutting & splicing the 2 wires will make it so when I turn the key, it will just start?  I know enough mechanically to be dangerous to myself, so specifics would help. :)    Thank you.

This thread is a decade old.

I just barely got onto this forum today.  It showed up when I googled the starter problem.  I know it's an older bike.  I was just commenting that I had a similar problem with starting my bike.  Do you know the title to that conversation?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, KyukidoMaster said:

I just barely got onto this forum today.  It showed up when I googled the starter problem.  I know it's an older bike.  I was just commenting that I had a similar problem with starting my bike.  Do you know the title to that conversation?

Well start a new thread then. It aint rocket surgery.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online