V-Star 1300

david1950
This post is 5603 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

how does one manage to tilt the windshield back? mine seems to have only one fixed position.

It's not a big shift, but there's some room for adjustment. Loosen the 4 allen head screws and push/pull.

Moving it aft increased the buffeting, so I pushed the top of the 'shield as far forward as possible - much as it came stock.

It doesn't have the same range of adjustment as the yamaha tall shield on my 650, but there's a bit of wiggle room.

Considering that a couple millimeters made all the difference (to me) on the handlebars, it's worth a shot.

Good luck,

George

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any 1300 riders out there?

I just picked mine up the other day. I love the fit and trim traded in a 02 kaw concourse and the yamaha beats the hell out of kawasaki. I do have a whine at about 30-40 mph I thought at first it was a wheel bearing but if I pull in the clutch it goes away. I think it might be in the transmission. Ant one elese have this problem? Does it go away?

I do have a whine at about 30-40 mph I thought at first it was a wheel bearing but if I pull in the clutch it goes away. I think it might be in the transmission. Ant one elese have this problem? Does it go away?

The only whine I've noticed is from my wife. When the divorce is final, I expect that to go away.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D )

My clutch was not adjusted properly at the dealership. Might be worth a check.

Everything got considerably quieter when I did the first oil change to synthetic. Passed 2000 miles now with no troubles.

Bags get a bit wrinkly in the rain, despite all the mink oil treatments. Maybe they skinned an old Kaw?

Cheers,

Renfield

The only whine I've noticed is from my wife. When the divorce is final, I expect that to go away.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D )

My clutch was not adjusted properly at the dealership. Might be worth a check.

Everything got considerably quieter when I did the first oil change to synthetic. Passed 2000 miles now with no troubles.

Bags get a bit wrinkly in the rain, despite all the mink oil treatments. Maybe they skinned an old Kaw?

Cheers,

Renfield

Thanks I will check the clutch. You are a lucky man I cant afford a divorce thats what the bike is for I found at 60 mph you can barely hear her screams. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Got mnie 4 days ago, i too seem to have a whining sound as im riding, also when im idling out of gear i can hear a noise till i pull the clutch in is this normal? does it go away after the first service?...

any info would help cheers.

Nice bike to ride though!!

I just bought a new V-star 1300 last weekend and love this bike. It rides very smooth and has lots of power. I have noticed the speedometer seems to read 5 mph to slow....i wondered why everyone was passing me. Anyone else noticed t his? Love the bike overall.

Matt

What did you pay for your Vstar 1300? I payed $7954 before taxes and licensing. I thought this was a great price. Just curious what others payed for there bike. I think its a lot of bike for the money......gotten lots of compliments so far.

Matt

I have noticed the speedometer seems to read 5 mph to slow....i wondered why everyone was passing me.

Generally speedos read about 10% more. This also ups your milage. So if yours is reading low then you must have bigger wheels on your bus!!!

It might be paralax error, as I cannot remember if the speedo is digital.

I Got my VSTAR 1300 on 9/7/2007.

Man what a difference! I sold my trusty Honda Aero 750, was a nice bike but not a true distance Cruiser. This is a great cruiser from what I can tell so far. Plan on going to ThunderBeach on 9/27, hope to have it broke in by then.

One problem right away is the Handle Bars, my 5'9" frame with no monkey arms can't reach the darn things unless I sit forward and reach some. Not gonna be comfortable for long distance. :D

I just bought a new V-star 1300 last weekend and love this bike. It rides very smooth and has lots of power. I have noticed the speedometer seems to read 5 mph to slow....i wondered why everyone was passing me. Anyone else noticed t his? Love the bike overall.

Matt

I've checked my speedo against two radar speed displays set up permanently on either end of the main drag through a new local neighborhood/golf course. They like to walk their dogs, jog and drive golf carts down the middle of this main street, even though there are no homes or driveways on it. so they're quite adamant about pointing out the speed limit.

At an indicated 40 mph, the radar reads 35. At an indicated 60 mph radar reads 55. The error seems more linear than a set percentage would return, but seems consistent with your experience.

Makes me wonder if Yamaha has considered this when offering shift point advice in the owners manual. If I follow their guide, it always seems like the engine is lugging.

-Renfield

Cobra makes one for the 1300 that costs $225 from cruisercustomizing.com. Haven't seen it in person. Here's a link

I love the one that came on my tourer. The factory passenger backrest components cost $354 from yamahasportscenter.com - cheapest I've seen. Which probably explains why you've gotten no response to either post.

There's a company called bakupusa.com offering a nice backrest for the driver. Too dear for my wallet at $350 plus shipping. Makes the Kuryakyn backrest bag an obvious choice for the 1300T driver at about $145. That's what I'll be getting for long trips, as it adds useable storage space and a driver backrest for much le$$. Alas, no help if you have no passenger backrest.

Maybe prices will drop if and when the 1300 becomes more popular. For now, the limited selection of Yamaha accessories seem steeply priced compared to other models. Fortunately, the tourer came with all I need. And the extra cost was less than adding the factory hard bags. Easy decision.

Cheers,

Renfield

While we're wishing, I wish the Yamaha Owners Club had a dedicated forum for the V Star 1300. This post is running long and going all over the place, topic wise.

Good luck with your new backrest!

Cheers,

Ren.

My next purchase will be a luggage rack, then perhaps some type of storage. I really like the saddle bags that come with the tourer, but find it hard to stomach the price from Yamaha on the bags and mounting equipment. If i remember correctly its around $1400 for the bags and mounting hardware. I would love to find something similar to the factory bags but at less of a price. In the end i would probaly have been better off to pay extra and get the tourer 1300. :rolleyes:

Matt

While we're wishing, I wish the Yamaha Owners Club had a dedicated forum for the V Star 1300. This post is running long and going all over the place, topic wise.

Good luck with your new backrest!

Cheers,

Ren.

Definitely a better deal to buy the tour model, if you know you want those accessories. I learned my lesson the hard way with my vstar650. I have a set of saddlemen jumbo slant bags if you're interested.

I got lucky and found a set of Yammie hard bags for $350 on ebay for the old bike. Won't make the mistake again of buying without the accessories.

Renfield,

Do you know how your saddleman jumbo slant bags would fit on the 1300? Can you mount them under the passenger seat? I agree about the accessories, I did not want the windshield and wanted the rock bottom price up front. I might be interested in buying your saddlebags if they will fit the 1300. It would be nice to have a seperate forum for the vstar1300, since this one is getting long.

Matt

Definitely a better deal to buy the tour model, if you know you want those accessories. I learned my lesson the hard way with my vstar650. I have a set of saddlemen jumbo slant bags if you're interested.

I got lucky and found a set of Yammie hard bags for $350 on ebay for the old bike. Won't make the mistake again of buying without the accessories.

I was lucky and bought the touring model for the same price I would of paid for the base model. I love it and having the same key to start the bike for the bags are great. I know while looking around a couple of dealers had put together thier own touring packages because it was cheaper for them. If you have a dealer in your area like that he might be able to swing you a deal. If anyone knows of a nice tail trunk that matches the stock bags thats what I have been shopping for.Thanks and good luck.

Jerry

Renfield,

Do you know how your saddleman jumbo slant bags would fit on the 1300? Can you mount them under the passenger seat? I agree about the accessories, I did not want the windshield and wanted the rock bottom price up front. I might be interested in buying your saddlebags if they will fit the 1300. It would be nice to have a seperate forum for the vstar1300, since this one is getting long.

Matt

They fit my old 650 just fine, and the brackets I made for them would likely work great on the 1300. They're a universal design, and I attached them to the bolts that you'll be using for the backrest. I can send you some photos if you send an email address. Mine is: [email protected].

I bought the bags from cruiser customizing (I think) and used the stock Yammie saddlebag mounts with my own bolts and standoffs so that they were hard mounted. I also added twist lock closures so the velcro wouldn't release at highway speeds. Not sure if the 650 bag mounts will fit the 1300, but I still have those lying around too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online