V-Star 1300

david1950
This post is 5603 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my V Star 1300 touring two weeks ago. So far so good. What model do you have and what color?

I've had mine about that long too. I have the tour in the silver & charcoal. I call it Midlife Crisis. A little joke between the wife and I.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

jam788 you will love it. I certainly do love mine. What part of the world do you live in, and where are you going to ride.

:D

I love my V-Star 1300, she turns heads every time I take it out.. I am finding it hard to get after market parts for it though. Example, lower wind deflectors for the front forks. I know this is just because the bike is so new, but it does make adding on to the bike a little challenging. I bought it to take me in and out of work every day instead of my Goldwing, which is a nice bike, but very heavy. I love the lightness and comfort of the V-Star. Lots of power, and not that many gear changes. (50mph in 3rd !). Its a real pleasure to throw it around corners.

Picked my Silver/Gray Tourer up on Tuesday. Lovin' it.

Patiently waiting for some good opinions on pipes.

- Six

I like mine nice and quite just like it is. It is one of the reasons I bought the V Star 1300 in the first place, but that is just me.

I like mine nice and quite just like it is. It is one of the reasons I bought the V Star 1300 in the first place, but that is just me.

You know, in a perfect world, I would agree with you. However, after a day of renting a big Harley a year or so ago, I liked the way the pipes put a swivel on all of the cager's heads. I don't want to tick off the neighbors, but I want people to know I'm near them on the highway.

- Six

By the way, any of you VStar 1300 owners finding another forum out there, just for us? I sure would like to see some opinions on gear, maintenance, etc. dedicated to this bike. Maybe not enough of us out there yet huh?

- Six

Picked my Silver/Gray Tourer up on Tuesday. Lovin' it.

Patiently waiting for some good opinions on pipes.

- Six

I've had my 1300 since November 5th, and I really couldn't stand the stock pipe's looks--nobody had anything other than the dealers speedstar setup. So, after much websurfing for months, I finally made up my mind and went with Cobra speedster slashdowns with their FI2000R injector module. I really like the look and they sound incredible! Just don't wick on the throttle near your local law enforcement! There is quite a bit out there now, pipe wise, Cobra, Roadhouse, Hard Krome to name a few have pipes to fit now. You can see my ride on Star's calendar contest web page (I entered just for kicks) http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/feedba...;gid=2&pg=1

jam788 you will love it. I certainly do love mine. What part of the world do you live in, and where are you going to ride.

Wow, this site really sucks! Have you found anything better on the web? Anyway, I got the bike and I love it. You were right. I had a VTX 1300 - totaled in an accident- and I am sold now on the YAMI. Much better bike by far. The only thing I miss is the aggressive posture of the VTX - and the growl off the line. I would say I am more refined than those peasants riding the Honda!

State College, PA by the way. Go Lions!!! I was in Grapevine a few weeks ago at a conference....nice place.

Is there any 1300 riders out there?

As of yesterday (6-30-07), yes.

So far, so good. Just traded my '04 VS Classic six-fifty (21K miles) for the Tour 1300. Red of course.

Gone are the tube tires, carburetor, drum brake, crappy shaft drive (about to fail from internal rust), meager power, air cooling, poor ergonomics (I'm 6,1") and HD styling.

It's got gobs of torque, better hauling capacity (I had the factory hard bags on the 650), amazing comfort in terms of seating and legroom, very quiet ride that I personally prefer (loud HORNS save lives, loud PIPES bring new legislation for all of us) and a cool art deco style.

I've been test riding bikes and researching for a couple of months. This one was calling to me.

Looking forward to many miles of smiles.

Cheers,

Renfield

After a 117 mile drive today, I noticed buffeting at highway speeds from the tall and very vertical windshield. Also, the bars seemed too short, with clutch/brake controls too far down in front.

And the cables were cramped between the shield supports and handlbar creating a potential weak spot on the cable housings.

By tilting the bar slightly farther down, I was able to free up the cables AND tilt the shield back a bit. Clutch and brake lever came up too.

Storms hit before I could test the new setup, but my initial impression is that the dealer set up the bar incorrectly. I can now get farther back in the seat without doing the stretch/lean forward. Still plenty of tank clearance.

Anyone know of a definitive stock angle or checking procedure?

Also, has anyone subjected the leather bag covers to rain yet? Mink oil working?

Renfield

Is there any 1300 riders out there?

TL here in Kansas City

Here's the bike...I'm just getting it home...12 miles on it2k7-star-023.JPG

I have only had my 1300 for 3 weeks, but already have over 4000 miles

The first trip was to Indy, for the F1 race....1600 miles (middle of the image below)trips07.JPG

The second trip was to Atlanta to work for the week...2450 miles(ok I did take some side roads on the Atlanta trip)kc-to-atl-map.JPG

On the road in Floridatriptoatlanta-026.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got my two tone silver Tourer on 7/11. Only 400 miles on it so far. Love the bike. Hate the wind that comes up around the fuel tank and hits you in the chest (traded in a '80 GL1100). ordered a set of bucks lowers. ordered the bakup drivers backrest. ordered cobra freeway bar and rear luggage rack. Get 47 mph after second tank. Great ride thru the NC mountains last weekend. Only scraped the right floorboard once.

I got my black Tourer in May. I was determined to get a bike with EFI and liquid-cooled. Salesmen really tried to direct me to something bigger, pointing to the need to have the valves adjusted regularly on this bike (of course, this bike was discounted greatly and they weren't going to make as much on its sale). But, I really thought this would be the bike.

Found right away that the bars were too low and too far forward. No amount of adjusting made much difference. I bought some Drag Specialties Bagger Bars and threw them on. (I didn't want to have to change cables and extend wiring, so I didn't go for something radically different).

The Bagger Bars are narrower and come back toward me quite a bit more. I find them much more comfortable, but also realize that eventually I will need something higher and more pulled back. Any suggestions are welcome.

I just finished a 1900mi ride and the bike was awesome, especially when I got into areas with 93 octane gas. I had a duffel bag and sleeping bag mounted on passenger seat, so I had a backrest. I find it irksome that I will have to buy a completely different seat in order to install a rider backrest. www.ultimateseats.ca looks like the place to go, but they won't have one until next spring.

I'm not a big fan of the super-loud pipes that seem to be the rage today. I do like the sound of the stock pipes. I may opt for aftermarket pipes, just to increase the power, but I wouldn't go with straight pipes. The theory of "loud pipes save lives", in my opinion is an urban myth. Most of the noise is directed behind the back, with some sideways in the rear, too. Considered with the fact that most of the danger comes from cars pulling out in front of the bike, it just doesn't make sense. Then there's the fact that when a big with the straight pipes is in front of me, I can't hear a damn thing.

So, other than the bars and the need for a rider backrest, I love the bike.

I find it irksome that I will have to buy a completely different seat in order to install a rider backrest.

So, other than the bars and the need for a rider backrest, I love the bike.

Seems like your extra luggage was the perfect backrest solution. There's something called a "cruiser bag" designed to fit that niche as well: www.cruiserbag.com So far, I've only used a backrest when picking up a 44lb. bag of dog food.

I'm just past the 1,100 mile mark. Gave my sport bike buddies a hearty chase through the local mountains today. Sweet ride. I started in the rear of the pack, but they were holding me back enough that they insisted I lead the way home. Big red object in mirror was too close. LOL.

Valve job was relatively easy, but time consuming. Getting the vent hoses reconnected under the tank was the twitchiest part for me. Had to have a helper hold the tank just so.

A second adjustment to the stock handlebar got it just right for me. Takes a bit more aggressive posture, but it's very comfy. At 6'1" it's much improved over the ergonomics of my old VStar 650 classic. No more knees in the chest feeling.

Also, I used some split-loom plastic wiring cover to protect the clutch cable where it meets the shield bracket. It was showing signs of wear.

Love the sound of the stock pipe. Meaty-beefy, but not obnoxious.

BTW, did they forget to tell the designers about the horn in advance? LOL. Seems like the mount for that wanker horn was a total afterthought. Odd looking on such an otherwise well designed machine.

So far the leathered bags have held up well in the rain. I've used half a can of the included mink oil already.

The instrument readout is getting wonky too. Needle sweep fails intermittently and the idiot light check sometimes winks out very fast. When I can replicate the problem with greater regularity, I'll take it to the stealer for a fix. Others have mentioned the speedo sticking, but so far that isn't a problem. (Knock wood)

Cheers,

Renfield

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online