V-Star 1300

david1950
This post is 5603 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Keep posting fellow 1300 owners....i enjoy reading other comments and suggestions about his bike. Its been the best bike i have ever owned (so far no unusual engine or clutch noises) knock on wood..... I still wonder how fast the bike is caPable of. HAPPY RIDING

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mnie 4 days ago, i too seem to have a whining sound as im riding, also when im idling out of gear i can hear a noise till i pull the clutch in is this normal? does it go away after the first service?...

any info would help cheers.

Nice bike to ride though!!

I've also notice a whirring / whining sound (I'm at about 400 miles). It increases in pitch as I lean on the throttle. I don't know if it's changing yet (or if the way I'm accelerating has changed), but it goes away when I'm in the upper half of each gear. I'd also like to know if anyone else has noticed this and whether it diminishes as the bike breaks in.

What I'd also like to ask is what speeds are others shifting at. The manual really seems to be out of whack in relation to its shifting recommendations.

Cheers

When running in it is best to not rev the engine too high but also not to load the engine at low revs.

My take (value: approximately two cents) is that lugging the engine is worse. This bike will shake your fillings loose at the shift points Yamaha recommends. I don't get into 5th gear until about 45-50 INDICATED mph.

A bike that comes with no tach cannot be overrevved. ;) Haven't hit it yet, but I expect it's got a rev limiter just like the smaller/cheaper siblings (650 classic).

Noises? Yes it makes noises. Most are pretty sweet. I'm past 5K miles and two service intervals. Clutch noise is as it was on day one, just as described by ZenCruiser.

Anyone finding a good price on a replacement air filter yet?

Cheers,

Renfield

• 4 weeks later...

My take (value: approximately two cents) is that lugging the engine is worse. This bike will shake your fillings loose at the shift points Yamaha recommends. I don't get into 5th gear until about 45-50 INDICATED mph.

A bike that comes with no tach cannot be overrevved. ;) Haven't hit it yet, but I expect it's got a rev limiter just like the smaller/cheaper siblings (650 classic).

Noises? Yes it makes noises. Most are pretty sweet. I'm past 5K miles and two service intervals. Clutch noise is as it was on day one, just as described by ZenCruiser.

Anyone finding a good price on a replacement air filter yet?

Cheers,

Renfield

I took my 1300 in for its 600 mile service (an American bike) to my local Yamaha dealership here in Canada. When I talked to the service guy about the whine, he said Yamaha Canada is actually paying to have all the clutch baskets replaced in the Canadian 1300's which gets rid of (or tones down) the whine...he says it's different for different bikes, but can really mess up your bike if it gets out of hand.

I phoned Yamaha USA and they are aware of what they call a "drive line noise". They aren't replacing the clutch basket, but they say they have a couple of options that a dealership's regional rep will suggest. They are going to do a "good will repair" on my bike, so I imagine it's the same for anyone with a 1300.

When I'm back in the U.S. getting my bike repaired I thought I might look into upgrading my pipes as well. Has any one put Hard Kromes on their bike?

• 2 months later...

I took my 1300 in for its 600 mile service (an American bike) to my local Yamaha dealership here in Canada. When I talked to the service guy about the whine, he said Yamaha Canada is actually paying to have all the clutch baskets replaced in the Canadian 1300's which gets rid of (or tones down) the whine...he says it's different for different bikes, but can really mess up your bike if it gets out of hand.

I phoned Yamaha USA and they are aware of what they call a "drive line noise". They aren't replacing the clutch basket, but they say they have a couple of options that a dealership's regional rep will suggest. They are going to do a "good will repair" on my bike, so I imagine it's the same for anyone with a 1300.

When I'm back in the U.S. getting my bike repaired I thought I might look into upgrading my pipes as well. Has any one put Hard Kromes on their bike?

i bought my 1300 tourer about a week ago silver and grey and had hard krome exhaust put on before i left the shop and man do i love it.but i like things kinda loud i bought the un-baffled type i personally like things kinda loud but for a little lower tone that still sounds good the baffled ones might just do the job.i had to purchase a power comander to reset the air fuel mixture.(cost) 299.00 for the comander and 669.00 for the exhaust ,i think the baffled ones run around 700.00 and the shop i bought mine at put one on the dyno and with this setup it made 86 horse compared to 76 stock.if you like things kinda beefy sounding but not overly loud check out the baffled hard kromes i think you will like.

• 1 month later...

I bought a blue 1300 in May of last year. I hit my 600 mile break in in 4 days and 1,000 miles two days after that. As of today I have 18,100 miles and 10 states traveled to. The engine is impressive for a 13, but the wind buffeting is ridiculous. The windshield actually makes it worse! The wind is definitely channeling up from around the fuel tank. At 125 mph its insane, (not that I've gone that fast B) ) The bike is set 5 miles slow on the speedo (had it certified) and I had to have mine replaced after it stuck repeatedly during the first 2500 miles. I have also had a leaky hose and several bolts have rattled off the top end of the motor. Since I live in Florida (what's a "riding season"?) I ride every day, like I have since I bought my first bike in 1999.

I never did/have liked the "retro" look of the 1300, but I did like the reviews. Especially the motor performance. I had put 45,500 miles on my 640 custom when I impulsively traded it in for the 1300. If I can fix the wind issue with lower wind deflectors I'm tempted to paint it and add a few changes to the body. Has anyone found a set of wind deflectors for it yet?

One other thing, I think the countersunk fuel cap is shorting the true fuel capacity. I almost sputtered out at 170 miles. I coasted into a gas station and the "4.89 gallon" fuel tank only took about 3.7 gallons. It explains why the idiot light comes on at 3 gallons.

Any 1300 riders in Florida?

I bought a blue 1300 in May of last year. I hit my 600 mile break in in 4 days and 1,000 miles two days after that. As of today I have 18,100 miles and 10 states traveled to. The engine is impressive for a 13, but the wind buffeting is ridiculous. The windshield actually makes it worse! The wind is definitely channeling up from around the fuel tank. At 125 mph its insane, (not that I've gone that fast B) ) The bike is set 5 miles slow on the speedo (had it certified) and I had to have mine replaced after it stuck repeatedly during the first 2500 miles. I have also had a leaky hose and several bolts have rattled off the top end of the motor. Since I live in Florida (what's a "riding season"?) I ride every day, like I have since I bought my first bike in 1999.

I never did/have liked the "retro" look of the 1300, but I did like the reviews. Especially the motor performance. I had put 45,500 miles on my 640 custom when I impulsively traded it in for the 1300. If I can fix the wind issue with lower wind deflectors I'm tempted to paint it and add a few changes to the body. Has anyone found a set of wind deflectors for it yet?

One other thing, I think the countersunk fuel cap is shorting the true fuel capacity. I almost sputtered out at 170 miles. I coasted into a gas station and the "4.89 gallon" fuel tank only took about 3.7 gallons. It explains why the idiot light comes on at 3 gallons.

Any 1300 riders in Florida?

Peabody

How many times did you have your valves adjusted? I have also experienced the lack of gas mileage and have had similar problems on trips. Have you talked to your dealer about the problem with the fuel capacity? I was led to believe I could travel at least 250 miles before refueling.

Peabody

How many times did you have your valves adjusted? I have also experienced the lack of gas mileage and have had similar problems on trips. Have you talked to your dealer about the problem with the fuel capacity? I was led to believe I could travel at least 250 miles before refueling.

Counting my break-in tune up, I've had 5, but I don't know if they had to adjust the valves every time. The wind buffeting issue creates so much noise I can't hear if the valves are rattling or not. I could hear my 650 easily (only needed adjustment 3 times in 45K miles). The gas mileage is another issue. In town I get 28 - 35 mpg. On the highway I have gotten up to 186 miles before the idiot light came on. Living in a flat state probably helps on trips, but in town it runs like a car. I got the Gold Card service at the dealership so I don't have to pay a dime for scheduled service for 3 years, so I don't worry about it too much. I will ask the mechanic next time I get one (in a few weeks).

Counting my break-in tune up, I've had 5, but I don't know if they had to adjust the valves every time. The wind buffeting issue creates so much noise I can't hear if the valves are rattling or not. I could hear my 650 easily (only needed adjustment 3 times in 45K miles). The gas mileage is another issue. In town I get 28 - 35 mpg. On the highway I have gotten up to 186 miles before the idiot light came on. Living in a flat state probably helps on trips, but in town it runs like a car. I got the Gold Card service at the dealership so I don't have to pay a dime for scheduled service for 3 years, so I don't worry about it too much. I will ask the mechanic next time I get one (in a few weeks).

The severe lack of aerodynamics on your Yamaha model which is characterised by the severe bufferting is the cause of the gas milage. Fit a full fairing and get better milage!!!

I have to disagree with you on that one. If aerodynamics were the cause of the gas mileage, then I would get better mileage at slower speeds, but at 80 to 85 mph, I get the best mileage. I think the gearing, stop and go, you know, the usual in town conditions explains the lower mileage. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

I don't get into FOURTH gear until around 45+mph......If I shift into 4th any sooner than that, the engine sounds like a diesel engine with a knock. Is this normal???????

While we're wishing, I wish the Yamaha Owners Club had a dedicated forum for the V Star 1300. This post is running long and going all over the place, topic wise.

Good luck with your new backrest!

Cheers,

Ren.

There is a better forum. Yamahamotorcycleforum.com It's far better than this one.

gf, The mechanic told me the valves only need to be adjusted every other tune-up. The top speed for the 1300 is 125 mph. Hope this helps.

There is a better forum. Yamahamotorcycleforum.com It's far better than this one.

Yet you're still posting on here................... :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online