Steering damper

yanto
This post is 6142 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's basically a piston that improves the bikes stability (pretty much eradicates tank slappers) but can make the low speed steering a little heavy.

If you ride your R6 hard then it's a worthwhile investment.

It's basically a piston that improves the bikes stability (pretty much eradicates tank slappers) but can make the low speed steering a little heavy.

If you ride your R6 hard then it's a worthwhile investment.

Would you recommend for an R1 also?

I honestly don't know fella as I've never ridden a R1. If you drive everywhere at 90mph then it's definitely not going to do any harm. ;)

My new bike has one fitted as standard and compared with my old R6 (with no damper) it feels far more solid through bends and over bumps.

I honestly don't know fella as I've never ridden a R1. If you drive everywhere at 90mph then it's definitely not going to do any harm. ;)

My new bike has one fitted as standard and compared with my old R6 (with no damper) it feels far more solid through bends and over bumps.

Are they easy to fit booze? Does the suspension have to be set up by expert? Im a novice mind!

Are they easy to fit booze? Does the suspension have to be set up by expert? Im a novice mind!

Aye fella, piece of bun. Took me about an hour when I was hungover. :D You need to remove the big nut in the centre of the handlebars though so make sure you have a spanner big enough - I got mine from Halfords for a tenner.

DEFINITELY.......... personally i wouldnt ride an R1 hard without 1.

Ive got a side mounted Ohlins damper on mine (they are supposed to be on the Yoke Ducati style), but better mounted to the frame and fork leg, due to less moving parts.

And Yanto, they are a peice of piss to fit, and you dont need to touch the suspension. When you fit the damper (after following instructions carefully) you can set the damper up yourself. They usually have a dial or knob, that adjusts the stiffness of the damper, the harder its set, the more stable it is when your riding hard, but harder to steer at slow speeds, so its just a case of finding the inbetween that your comfortable with.

Hope all that helps?????

Steve

I must admit i went out for a blast with a couple of mates yesterday and they were on a GSXR750 with damper and a ZX6R without and the mate with the damper was much smoother over the bumps, where the riders without dampers me included couldnt get comfy and didnt have as much confidence through the corners as the bumpers were really taking their toll!

After this weekend i am definately looking into them for my R6!!

:D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online