Stiff chain link

2tall
This post is 6176 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:unsure:

Hello all,

I have a very stiff link on my chain, I can work it free but seems to be stiff when I ride the bike the next day, and makes a noise going over the front sprocket. (I'm guessing it’s this that’s causing the noise).

Is this due to a missing O-ring or is there anything I can do to free it up totally?

Also what damage am I doing by riding it (80 miles a day) with a stiff link?

Cheers,,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:unsure:

Hello all,

I have a very stiff link on my chain, I can work it free but seems to be stiff when I ride the bike the next day, and makes a noise going over the front sprocket. (I'm guessing it’s this that’s causing the noise).

Is this due to a missing O-ring or is there anything I can do to free it up totally?

Also what damage am I doing by riding it (80 miles a day) with a stiff link?

Cheers,,

Dude replace it imediately! if its stiff, every time it goes round the sproket at eighther end it will be creating a lot of friction, in an 80 mile trip, the chances are, it will be eighther wearing its self loose (say good bye to the side of you calf muscle when it lets go!) or its will eventualy weaken the metal with its constant cycle of heating and cooling....then break. i've seen first hand what damage a chain can do when it lets go on a motocrosser at about 40 mile an hour, what speed do you do ?!?

I know its a jip to pay for a new chain, but better that than new boots and possible surgery!!

sorry to be the bearer of this news... don't shoot the messenger! :unsure:

I agree the chain needs replacing , also check the sprockets to see if there is any damage or wear ,if so they need replacing also ,if not the worn / damaged sprockets will knacker your new chain

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online