Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 - opinion

kuba
This post is 6172 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

...is that a good bike for beginner(i just now passed my test). I want to travel , enjoy the ride ... not race or shine... please help me to make a decision what to buy! Thank you.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

...is that a good bike for beginner(i just now passed my test). I want to travel , enjoy the ride ... not race or shine... please help me to make a decision what to buy! Thank you.

I have a 2001 FZS6 and that is a fine bike to ride. I have heard that the later fuel injected bike takes more revving to get the peak power out of it where the older (up to 2003) has carbs and is as gentle as a wolf in sheeps clothing when you want it to be. As a newby- and meaning no disrespect to your abilities maybe an older one to start with and see how you get on- cheper to buy and repair-loads of spares on Ebay and a great all round bike for half the price of a new one. Insurance would be cheaper too!

There would be little depreciation with say a 2003 bike if you didnt like it or wanted to trade up at a later date.

I guess any Fazer is a good bike to grow with and according to bike magazine the FZ6 is about the most popular bike in Europe for sales so it must be pretty good :D

Do you want underseat exhausts and an 07 registration or a sleek 03 bike with fox eye lights? either bike is a good bet

I have a 2001 FZS6 and that is a fine bike to ride. I have heard that the later fuel injected bike takes more revving to get the peak power out of it where the older (up to 2003) has carbs and is as gentle as a wolf in sheeps clothing when you want it to be. As a newby- and meaning no disrespect to your abilities maybe an older one to start with and see how you get on- cheper to buy and repair-loads of spares on Ebay and a great all round bike for half the price of a new one. Insurance would be cheaper too!

There would be little depreciation with say a 2003 bike if you didnt like it or wanted to trade up at a later date.

I guess any Fazer is a good bike to grow with and according to bike magazine the FZ6 is about the most popular bike in Europe for sales so it must be pretty good :D

Do you want underseat exhausts and an 07 registration or a sleek 03 bike with fox eye lights? either bike is a good bet

i'm think about 2005 (price ab 3000 qt) look modern ald prices r lower. I realy like position on the bike(may be good for longer distances...).

About my skils...there is no disrespect in saying that i'm novince .. that why i'm asking.

Question is: - can i trust to this mashine on long distances,

- isn't fazer to quick for a beginer.

- will you buy one in my situation.

thank you very much.

Tell you the truth mate other manfufacturers make bikes far more suitable for this for similar money. Having ridden a FZ6 fazer 500 miles in one day i can say that it is not a good long distance. The vibrations through the bars at motorway speeds while bearable at first dont hae give a weird unpleasant tingly feeling after an hour or so. You also say you dont want to race, well if you buy this bike your gonna feel like you are all the time. To get it to go requires alot of revs and alot of gear changing which can get annoying if your not in the mood for a thrash. The engine is completely out of place in the softly sprung chassis. Also the build quality on the newer ones is absolutely diabolical. Maybe im a bit skewed but mine was the worst bike ive ever had the displeasure of owning. Designed for the european market and not for us brits.

What you need to look for is one of the last fazers with the thundercat engine ie 2001-2003. Look for pointy front fairing but no underseat cans. This is a far superior bike in every way IMHO. I know of an immaculate showroom condition 02 model at bridge motorcycles in exeter in yellow and black for £3199. Its a steal quite frankly and difficult to distinguish from new.

e07923do5.jpg

Tell you the truth mate other manfufacturers make bikes far more suitable for this for similar money. Having ridden a FZ6 fazer 500 miles in one day i can say that it is not a good long distance. The vibrations through the bars at motorway speeds while bearable at first dont hae give a weird unpleasant tingly feeling after an hour or so. You also say you dont want to race, well if you buy this bike your gonna feel like you are all the time. To get it to go requires alot of revs and alot of gear changing which can get annoying if your not in the mood for a thrash. The engine is completely out of place in the softly sprung chassis. Also the build quality on the newer ones is absolutely diabolical. Maybe im a bit skewed but mine was the worst bike ive ever had the displeasure of owning. Designed for the european market and not for us brits.

What you need to look for is one of the last fazers with the thundercat engine ie 2001-2003. Look for pointy front fairing but no underseat cans. This is a far superior bike in every way IMHO. I know of an immaculate showroom condition 02 model at bridge motorcycles in exeter in yellow and black for £3199. Its a steal quite frankly and difficult to distinguish from new.

e07923do5.jpg

Hi

But what do you think ab others - maby hornet 600 or something else ... Please geve mi some advice.

Thank You.

Hi

But what do you think ab others - maby hornet 600 or something else ... Please geve mi some advice.

Thank You.

I've never ridden a Fazer so I can't really comment, apart from telling you how ugly I think they are. :lol:

I have had the pleasure of riding a Hornet though and it is a fantastic bike. Stick a flyscreen on it and it's easy at motorway speeds and, should you decide you do want to go nuts, it'll do that too.

I have a 2001 fazer600, I have no probs with distance on it, Blackpool to Leicester and back in one evening. Easy bike to ride, reliable, I did 18000 miles in 10 months on mine, half motorway rest A/B roads. I would certainly recomend the early models of Fazers to anyone. Good luck, ride safe on whatever you choose

I have a 2001 fazer600, I have no probs with distance on it, Blackpool to Leicester and back in one evening. Easy bike to ride, reliable, I did 18000 miles in 10 months on mine, half motorway rest A/B roads. I would certainly recomend the early models of Fazers to anyone. Good luck, ride safe on whatever you choose

thank you wery much. Just i'm bit confused now:). but i'm waiting for more opinions. O .. and wery important question .. whitch model, milage you think is the best and what is the reasonable price for it(i'm thk ab repears too). thanks to everyone !!!

Yep the yellow black one as mentioned above is the type I meant. It is the same as my 2001 bike but with the later R1 fairing. A good all round bike. I did 1500 miles in five days leaving Wales touring Scotland and back home again- didnt have any back or bum problems although my mate on the R1 :blink: Tank size is another thought if you are touring - 22 litres in the later Fazers means around 170-180 miles /tank

As for other bikes- well you are on the Yamaha bike site so the tendency will be for Yamaha owners to be replying to you. try blue2bikes or the MCN bike site for other opinions

As for other bikes. My last bike (and first big one) was a CBR6- a great all rounder- spares from everywhere and an easy bike to ride slow and move on with- much like the Fazer but with more wrist ache. My brother in law just passed his direct access and borught a Blade :o

I have to say I find the Fazer ideal for everything. I have exceeded the speed limit a little bit :rolleyes: and I have ridden slowly like at the moment I am doing my IAM course and have to stick strictly to speed limts. My mate on an RSV is having physiotherapy :lol: It is reliable and as a lowly 600 can keep up with litre bikes until you hit an open straight road- but even then you wont be so far behind your tea will be cold when you catch them up.

Pretty much any bike will be better than our skills and will allow you to grow until you need a bigger or better bike or are happy using all its power and handling. Dont be put off buying a 600 as a new biker- as long as you can afford to insure it. You will learn how to ride by practice not by wringing its neck and you can grow your skills as your time in the saddle and hopefully further training increase your skills.

Bikesafe is a good £85 investment for two days with plod but probably a better bet is IAM course- also £85 but as long as it takes to reach the standard for the test and then 10% off your insurance!

Yep the yellow black one as mentioned above is the type I meant. It is the same as my 2001 bike but with the later R1 fairing. A good all round bike. I did 1500 miles in five days leaving Wales touring Scotland and back home again- didnt have any back or bum problems although my mate on the R1 :blink: Tank size is another thought if you are touring - 22 litres in the later Fazers means around 170-180 miles /tank

As for other bikes- well you are on the Yamaha bike site so the tendency will be for Yamaha owners to be replying to you. try blue2bikes or the MCN bike site for other opinions

As for other bikes. My last bike (and first big one) was a CBR6- a great all rounder- spares from everywhere and an easy bike to ride slow and move on with- much like the Fazer but with more wrist ache. My brother in law just passed his direct access and borught a Blade :o

I have to say I find the Fazer ideal for everything. I have exceeded the speed limit a little bit :rolleyes: and I have ridden slowly like at the moment I am doing my IAM course and have to stick strictly to speed limts. My mate on an RSV is having physiotherapy :lol: It is reliable and as a lowly 600 can keep up with litre bikes until you hit an open straight road- but even then you wont be so far behind your tea will be cold when you catch them up.

Pretty much any bike will be better than our skills and will allow you to grow until you need a bigger or better bike or are happy using all its power and handling. Dont be put off buying a 600 as a new biker- as long as you can afford to insure it. You will learn how to ride by practice not by wringing its neck and you can grow your skills as your time in the saddle and hopefully further training increase your skills.

Bikesafe is a good £85 investment for two days with plod but probably a better bet is IAM course- also £85 but as long as it takes to reach the standard for the test and then 10% off your insurance!

thx

But what do you think about 2005 s2 wersion !? I can get one 8000miles for 3100q . Thank you

I tried the underseat fazer when it first came out and it was a nice bike. Bit buzzy but handled well

I then went and brought a 2001 on price and the fact that I liked the colour scheme.... oh and it went like a dream and handled brilliantly. My opinion is- buy the older MkI and II version up to 2003

Ask on http://www.foc-u.co.uk/new/news.php the unofficial Fazer site where everybody rides a Fazer of one sort or another

Dolausfazer.jpg

This is my Fazer, There are many like it but this one is mine. Without my Fazer I am useless. Without me, my Fazer is useless.... apologies to full metal jacket.

i have a 2006 fazer with abs and it is a brilliant bike to ride. i do motorway riding everyday and find it very responsive. it is very economical and quite cheap to insure but then i am 50. before the fazer, i had a bandit. found it to heavy. i dropped it once and found it too heavy to lift so the very next day i swapped it for fazer... the best thing i did.

this is my opinion. you better ride a few different bikes and make your own mind. hornets are meant to be very good bikes too.

I dropped my Fazer too,,,, beleive me that isnt easy to lift off the ground either :o

I have Husqvarna sm 125s ... supermoto is very light and easy to handling ... but ! I passed my ful license and i want bigger bike ... i want to make decision in next 45 days. So please leave some opinions about S2 version of FZ6 ;] Thank you.

I have Husqvarna sm 125s ... supermoto is very light and easy to handling ... but ! I passed my ful license and i want bigger bike ... i want to make decision in next 45 days. So please leave some opinions about S2 version of FZ6 ;] Thank you.

Hi rode the 2006 model for about 6000 miles last year great bike all round only bug bear was a slightly hard seat and brakes are not great get a bit spongy when pushing it hard. Also clunky gearbox but not to bad if maintained well.

The S2 has upgraded brakes and a new swingarm and a comfy seat be intresting to see the difference between the two bikes also Yamaha are running 0% on the fazer range at the moment.

Also look at the new Bandit 650 got some good write ups...

happy hunting

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online