yamaha dt50 tuning

This post is 4462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Not sure about the exhaust on your bike but have a look at my thread 'De-restricting my DT125R' you will see the restriction I removed from my exhaust quite early on in that thread. It will give you an idea what to look for. Sometimes however there are other things in there like Catalist converters etc, I wouldnt recommend a novice to dig that deep. Get a 125 and be done with it is my advice, 50's are for 16 year olds ;)

Paul, I agree they are for 16 year olds... its only for 18 months and 4 miles a day until we can get back on our feet cash wise and start building on our plot in the country....then I can go and do my bike test and get a real bike again :)

I realise people probably think.....28 on a 50cc.... but its the most sensible thing just now since I dont require CBT or a test and means more money for my 1 year old son. Believe me im already itching to get back on a gsxr or a nice r6+ :)

Im a novice bike wise...very experienced mechanically and electricaly with most other things...including modern cars however my bikes completely different ( im used to injector systems not carbs )

What kind of bike do you have? Have you been riding long ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just looked at your post.... yeah thats like the piece i removed from the silencer on mine however my welder is at my dads house boxed up somewere....cant really open the rest of the zorst :(

I did notice on my 50 theres no manifold as such.... it just seems to plug and play and is held in by 2 springs lol.... must be so little pressure on it it doesnt need a proper manifold or something

Paul, I agree they are for 16 year olds... its only for 18 months and 4 miles a day until we can get back on our feet cash wise and start building on our plot in the country....then I can go and do my bike test and get a real bike again :)

I realise people probably think.....28 on a 50cc.... but its the most sensible thing just now since I dont require CBT or a test and means more money for my 1 year old son. Believe me im already itching to get back on a gsxr or a nice r6+ :)

Im a novice bike wise...very experienced mechanically and electricaly with most other things...including modern cars however my bikes completely different ( im used to injector systems not carbs )

What kind of bike do you have? Have you been riding long ?

CBT isnt a big deal though and you can ride a 125 on L plates, I cant recommend the DT125 enough, the problem is that they have generally been either neglected or thrashed to death by an assortment of 'yoofs', or a combination of both. I know you are happy with your 50 but keep an eye out all the time because if you could net one cheaply or from a mature owner i just know you would be well chuffed with it.

I have a Suzuki Bandit 600, Yamaha DT175MX and a recently acquired DT125R., been riding for 35 Years :huh:

35 years!! no wonder you call yourself oldgit! - thats a lot of riding experience tho.... something money cant buy.

I used to own a DT125r years ago, here is a picture of her :)

dt1.jpg

Selling it was the daftest thing I ever did :( - ( £150 )

I stuck on TZR wheels to make her into a supermoto :) she was the fastest DT125 EVER ( or at least I thought so at the time lol )

A completely different machine to the 50 ( ie you didnt have to thrash the balls off it to pull away from a stop ), but as I said money problems ( ie cant afford a CBT at the moment, it is low down the priority list ) stops me going down this road.... and I want to do everything above board and legaly.

The unbelievable fun of even the 50 has got me hooked again tho.... it had been 4-5 years since I had a bike and I had forgotten how good it was! I even just at my folks house in the country I setup cones to make a track to learn how to handle and balance again before going back on the road to relearn how to handle a bike and enjoyed every minute of it :D

in 18 months - 2 years I should be in a far better position financially to look for a 125 or above :) - I just dont want to get my hopes up just now knowing its very unlikely I can get one yet :(

IF I found an old one ( or similar ) that needed a lot of TLC for next to nothing Id buy it ( and I mean next to nothing ) and have it as a weekend project, but its very unlikely :(

anyhow, better go look busy.... Im supposed to be working lol

have a good day paul,

Bert

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i guess i got lucky buying our dt 50 liquid .It was a bone when we got it . ours has trouble keeping the fuel line full when giving er big.Ive cleaned tank, petcock (lol),shoutened the fuel line ect and cant seem to keep the fuel line full,but it runs great .I cleaned the carb(very easy job) and removed the silencer/flash arrestor and burnt out the carbon from it .It did 40 km down a hill when we got it .It now does 100km/hr flat out .It pelts gravel good and my vertically challenged son can wheelie perfect on it. those mixture screws are very important on those tiny carbs ,Of course you must start with clean fuel system and carb. A little time spent researching the settings is worth alot .I have also purchased a new set of reed valves ,but have yet to install them .I have a feeling this will make a dramatic improvement with throttle response.I could see people not liking this bike ,like when we got it ,it ran rough ,dead batt,tankfull of old gas and a bunged up carb lol ill admit i was getting worried i got screwed .Parts are very resonable on this bike and easy to get .With a few minor adjustments this spring ; clean and tweak the carb , replace the reed valves , clean the silencer unit again im expecting 120 km hr no problem ,thats with me on it too and i weigh about 180lbs .Our clutch seems very touchy though and fails to fully return to its open position .This i would like to address as well as it seems to effect great speed .Anyone know whats going on inside my dt50 clutch is welcome to make a few reasonable suggestions

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online