2001 R1 handling

diychap
This post is 6182 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am returning to motorbiking after a long break and have dived straight in with a 2001 R1 :)

Can anyone give some advice on how easy it is to ride, how forgiving it will be, power delivery, things to look out for etc?

I have seen the early R6 can be a bit of a bitch and not very forgiving, is that just because of the power peak whereas the R1 has a better torque curve?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am returning to motorbiking after a long break and have dived straight in with a 2001 R1 :)

Can anyone give some advice on how easy it is to ride, how forgiving it will be, power delivery, things to look out for etc?

I have seen the early R6 can be a bit of a bitch and not very forgiving, is that just because of the power peak whereas the R1 has a better torque curve?

Thanks

Welcome back to motorcycling!

I'm now on my second R1

The first was an 03 (first of the injected ones, Black frame).

Loved it so much and put truck loads of miles on it, so part exchanged it against a new one last June.

Styling, performance, and handling are fantastic not to mention the awesome R1 brakes.

Riding into a corner too quick! Just look through the bend and she'll go there.

Riding around town isn't that great, wrists will tell you when it's time to go home.

On twisty open roads, feel the adrenalin kick in. The harder you ride the R1, the better it gets! but don't get too complacent because they can bite you back.

Definately worth investing in a good steering damper. Cornering is improved and more stable and you'll find that you can start to lay the power on earlier through roundabouts and out of corners.

Only other thing I'de recommend is a pair of Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. Stick like you know what to a blanket.

Other than that, enjoy the R1. Paracetemol might be useful to dull the ache from the constant grin you'll have!

Rob.......

Welcome back to motorcycling!

I'm now on my second R1

The first was an 03 (first of the injected ones, Black frame).

Loved it so much and put truck loads of miles on it, so part exchanged it against a new one last June.

Styling, performance, and handling are fantastic not to mention the awesome R1 brakes.

Riding into a corner too quick! Just look through the bend and she'll go there.

Riding around town isn't that great, wrists will tell you when it's time to go home.

On twisty open roads, feel the adrenalin kick in. The harder you ride the R1, the better it gets! but don't get too complacent because they can bite you back.

Definately worth investing in a good steering damper. Cornering is improved and more stable and you'll find that you can start to lay the power on earlier through roundabouts and out of corners.

Only other thing I'de recommend is a pair of Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. Stick like you know what to a blanket.

Other than that, enjoy the R1. Paracetemol might be useful to dull the ache from the constant grin you'll have!

Rob.......

Thanks for the welcome, it feels so nice to be back on 2 wheels!

The tires are nearly out so I will take the advice and put some Pirelli boots on.

Yes the grin! After picking the bike up I could not stop, what a nice machine, I found it handled better when fully committing to corners and I have already been warned trying to put the throttle on too early coming out of the corner :unsure:

Town riding was not much fun but it never is.

I put some pics here

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there welcome back indeed, and what a bike to be returning on!! :rolleyes:

I've had a thundercat for 3yrs now and i was going to trade up this year to the r1 but i blew the bottom ends last weekend so i'll prob have to wait till next year for that, still give me a chance to bluild up more no claims every little helps lol :D .

Hope you a have a FAB summer! sweet sweet bike dude enjoy!!! ;)

Hey there welcome back indeed, and what a bike to be returning on!! :rolleyes:

I've had a thundercat for 3yrs now and i was going to trade up this year to the r1 but i blew the bottom ends last weekend so i'll prob have to wait till next year for that, still give me a chance to bluild up more no claims every little helps lol :D .

Hope you a have a FAB summer! sweet sweet bike dude enjoy!!! ;)

Thanks for the welcome, hope you get a replacement power house soon. I have only had the bike a few weeks and I wonder why I ever stopped (apart from insurance costs and a nasty accident in the wet (tarmac banding) :( ).