What Petrol??

Tomo
This post is 6191 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So which fueld do you use and do you notice any difference?

When i picked te bike up tuesday it was gilled with Total excellium. A day later it was filled up with cheap supermarket 95ron. I noticed a drop in power low down in higher gears. It seemed very flat around 4K.

Went out for a ride tonight just to burn this petrol and have again topped up with some 97. I will report my findings tomorrow.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There's a chance the the power dropped because it was supermarket fuel which is generally of a lower standard than other places. I only use fuel from a reputable source and have not noticed any differentiation in power when comparing Regular and Super Unleaded. If you want a good Super Unleaded, give Shell Optimax a go. That can be as high as 101 RON and burns well.

Well after an approx 400 mile trip yesterday there is definately more lower down power with excellium. I am going to try optimax but dont expect there to be any noticeable improvement. I will now be staying clear of the supermarket fuel.

I don't seem to notice any big difference between different manufacturers' super, am i'm certainly not going to ride past a Shell when i'm nearly empty just to get to that BP a few miles further down the road.

I only ever use super unleaded, its what superbikes were designed to run on, so never put 95 in it, it won't like you for it.

I havn't tried any of the 101 octance stuff yet, but I just don't think its worth it unless your going on track.

Steve

never really noticed a difference to be honest

how much does it cost you guys to fill up your tank and how many miles does it last???

mine is about 10 quid or so but once i hit the reserve i fill up but then it only costs me abotu 6 or 7 quid to fill up after, so my reserve must be massive.

never really noticed a difference to be honest

how much does it cost you guys to fill up your tank and how many miles does it last???

mine is about 10 quid or so but once i hit the reserve i fill up but then it only costs me abotu 6 or 7 quid to fill up after, so my reserve must be massive.

Seems to be just under £12 so far as an average and I am clocking around 54Mpg

54mpg ????? are you sure?

My R6 does 110 miles until my fuel light comes on. So that means that i'm doing 27mpg. Are you sure your calculations are correct and that your not including the reserve 2.5L in your maths? Or is there something seriously up with my bike??!?!?haha.

That 110 miles is when i'm thrashing it, but I only ever thrash it!!!!

To be honest, I've filled up at a lot of places including supermarkets and not really noticed a difference in how the bike runs. I generally fill up Shell stations but use normal 95RON.

I've had 120 miles to the fuel light on £10 of fuel.

54mpg ????? are you sure?

My R6 does 110 miles until my fuel light comes on. So that means that i'm doing 27mpg. Are you sure your calculations are correct and that your not including the reserve 2.5L in your maths? Or is there something seriously up with my bike??!?!?haha.

That 110 miles is when i'm thrashing it, but I only ever thrash it!!!!

Yeah it is correct although I only passed last Tuesday so I think its called an economic riding style :lol:

The road between here and work are all slow as well so not much opportunity to thrash it much. I would be expecting around the 27 - 35Mpg when I start to ride it properly.

It gets even worse when im riding through the city, i'm lucky t get 90 miles out of a tank, I'm too scared to work out what the mpg is then!!!! :o

I've only got a 3 gal. tank.....& I ran outta fuel this morning on the way to work! :huh:

Had to push the old Beast only about a half mile :rolleyes:

Which means my reserve only lasted about 16 miles <_< .......

But if I refrain from having Rider's Cramp too much.......I can prolly get it to last 20 :D

I'm just glad she's pretty lightweight for a 550 ;)

It gets even worse when im riding through the city, i'm lucky t get 90 miles out of a tank, I'm too scared to work out what the mpg is then!!!! :o

All my mileage has been based on is big runs. The daily commute if you can call it that is 1.5 miles each way :lol: whatever it is it can never be as bad as my previous V8 Merc. The average with that beast was around 18-22. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

There was a tuning company that at one point tested all the different fuels you could get for power gains and throttle response. I cant find the website but the findings were: BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax / V Powergave the same power gains over normal fuels and believe it or not Tesco 99 gave the same gain in performance again on top of the BP and Shell fuels.

As far as my tank goes the fuel light comes on around 110-125 miles on average. I have managed to get that as high as 160 miles before it came on but only the once.

Regards

YOU GUYS NEED TO CHECK YOUR MANUALS - IF YOUR PUTTING IN FUEL WITH A HIGHER OCTANE RATING THAN REQUIRED YOUR JUST WASTING YOUR MONEY!

UK BIKES ARE ALSO DIFFERENT TO US BIKE REQUIREMENTS SO THEY CANNOT BE COMPARED!

IF YOU OWN A SUPERSPORT 600 IN THE UK LIKE A R6 OR GSXR600 OR ZX6R THEN YOU WILL NEED TO FUEL WITH 91 OR HIGHER OCTANE.

BUT LIKE I SAID UP TO YOU IF YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR MONEY DUDES!

THE HIGHER THE OCTANE SIMPLY MEANS THE HIGHER THE TEMPS NEEDED TO BURN THE FUEL - HIGH OCTANE FUEL CAN WITHSTAND HIGHER TEMPS AND COMPRESSIONS BEFORE IT IGNITES - SIMPLE.

IF YOU USE HIGH OCTANE IN A BIKE THAT DOES NOT NEED IT THEN YOU ARE WASTING MONEY, THROWING UN-BURNT FUEL DOWN YOUR MANIFOLD - (FLAMES FROM EXHAUST SOMETIMES WHEN THE FUEL IGNITES LATER INTO THE OUTLET MANIFOLD.) AND CAUSING POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO PLUGS AND VALVES - AND IN SOME CASES DETONATION.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online