Thundercat questions...

aprilian bandit
This post is 6189 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just put my deposit down on a 52 plate Thundercat... so I'm just after a few pointers for living with it...

Bike will mostly be used for commuting / distance work so I'll be racking the miles up.

I'm thinking of either Pirelli Diablo Stradas / Bridgestone BT020's / Metzeler Z6's - any preference between these of Cat owners out there? Bearing in mind riding will include cold / wet / winter.

What "quality" of oil do you guys use? I'm torn between splashing the extra on Castrol, or just sticking with Halfords as I've always used in the B12. Is it a motor that loves the cheap stuff or does it need to be mollycoddled?

What kind of fuel economy / tank range do they tend to give? Riding style is... "brisk" (my commute is 30 miles of fast kinky A roads. I know the proper answer will come to me in time - just after a heads up really.

Any common niggles that people have had? I'm aware of the mild steel exhaust, and apparently the shock's short lived (aren't they all?). Also, what are the mileage intervals for services?

Cheers for any help :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How long would you expect plain Diablos to last? I'm a bit dubious about sticking something so soft on as I use em on the mille and don't see 2.5k from the back (but oh how much fun those 2.5k are :D )

The Halfords oil is a force of habit from the agricultural bandit engine, but rest assured the mille already get's the good stuff ;)

I use to put BT020 rear and BT010 front on my old Cat. Handled spot on come rain /shine or even snow. I'd get 6000 mile out of a rear before changing when I use to change both tyres as a matter of course, whether the front was ready or not.

Currently ride standard Diablos on my 04 R6 and get about 5500miles out of them. You wouldn't need anything above standard on a Cat.

Milage wise on a daily commute of about 25 miles each way some of which was stop start all the time in Nottingham I would get 162 miles to a tank before fuel light would come on.

As regards to oil, keep with the good stuff Castrol/Mobil1 don't use Halfords stuff it's not worth it in the long run.

Service intervals are every 6000 miles and that plate (Upto 1999 plates were 4000 then it went to 6000).

One thing I'm aware of that plays up regular is the Fuel level sensor. The wire seems to break from the solder and you'll get the rev counter goin between the actual revs and then nothing and then reading 3000rpm (may have been 8000) then back to actual revs. if this happens, lift the tank (drained) no need to remove it, and remove the fuel level sensor, if it is purely the wire that has broke from the solder, then solder it back up and refit (may need a new gasket).

Cool, tyre mileage doesn't sound too bad then, so I'll probably try some Diablos on it first :)

Tank range sounds good too, will certainly be a welcome change to easily get more than 100 miles to reserve! Expensive oil it is - especially if it's only changed ever 6000 miles!

I'll bear the fuel sensor in mind too, I'm confused how it plays with the revs - but electrickery is odd...

Thanks for that :)

The TCat has a couple of built in fault codes and it shows the fault by playing with the rev counter deliberate.

1st code is rev counter at 8000 for 3 seconds then actual revs and keeps flicking between the 2.

2nd code is rev counter at 3000 for 3 seconds then actual revs and keeps flicking between the 2.

If the fuel sensor or the fuel light bulb blows it shows one of these codes (just can't remember which).

I've got a Pirelli Diablo on the rear of my Cat which I find gives sufficient traction even in the winter. Going to be trying some BT-014s when I get some spare cash.

Recommended oil is Silkolene Pro 4 which I will be using soon.

will stay away from the stones mate

What else is good besides the Diablo then? Bearing in mind the Cat is substantially heavier than the R6 and as a result, handles a bit crap compared to my old SM. I've heard nothing but good about the 014 but obviously I don't speak from experience in that department.

How about the Avon Viper?

• 4 weeks later...

What else is good besides the Diablo then? Bearing in mind the Cat is substantially heavier than the R6 and as a result, handles a bit crap compared to my old SM. I've heard nothing but good about the 014 but obviously I don't speak from experience in that department.

How about the Avon Viper?

IF YOU WANT A REAL STICKY TYRE FOR THE SUMMER TO IMPROVE YOUR HANDLING TRY A MICHELIN PP 2CT - BUT WONT BE MUCH GOOD ON A T/CAT AT WINTER.

I ONLY GOT 1800 MILES OUT OF 2 BT014 BRIDGY'S - EXCELLENT TYRE BUT SOFT COMPOUND ALL OVER AND WEAR OUT QUICK DOWN THE CENTER LINE - SO NOT MUCH GOOD FOR COMUTING.

ALL ROUND - I WOULD USE A BRIDGESTONE BT020.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online