TPS Recall info wanted

cyco900
This post is 6229 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, back in July 06 I had an accident. (can no longer ride a bike) The engine just decided to die as I dropped the throttle off during an overtaking manuever, when a car was coming the opposite way. The motor cutting out made the rear wheel slide (as if siezed), I managed to bring it back under control but to late and clipped the oncoming car. :o

Anyway I know that since my accident and after 23+ complaints in the USA that Yamaha did a recall saying the throttle position sensor (TPS) needed replacing under warranty and that this was not dangerous.... tell me and a few others that!!

Yamaha seemed to know about this problem but why no recall untill the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (USA) contacted Yamaha USA on 2nd-June-2006. :angry: the UK was informed in mid October 06 although the VOSA site say it only effects bikes at standstill or at low speed. NOT what some riders are saying!!!!!!!!!

THESE ARE THE MODELS AFFECTED but it seems that some riders are unaware of the recall or its problems.

Models affected Worldwide are 02-05 Model Years - YZF-R1, R6, FJR1300, MT01, XT660, XV1700, FZ6 and TDM900 :mellow:

What I need to know off you guys/ladys is.... Have you had any similar problems ? i.e. stalling, cutting out, uncontroled engine idle speeds, general strange running either at standstill or during riding etc.

This can even make the bike accelerate or slow down without the rider moving the throttle in rare circumstances. ( this has happend to me )

I have a 'Topic' going on the TDM Owners web site www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=2135 ...or search for....Throttle body sensor where there has been a lot of info and like wise on a German Forum

Any feed back I would be very gratefull for. :rolleyes:

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:angry: I have just heard that a R1 rider has suffered a simlar accident involving the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Yet Yamaha STILL say this is not a dangerous problem.

My r6 was laid up for the winter when I started it a couple of weeks ago once it was warm it would not idle it just cut out I have had a recall from yamaha for air filter fixings but nothing about TPS I have spoken to two yam dealers who both said that this recall did not affect the r6 the problem has corrected itself but after 3month lay up there should be no problems with idle it is an 06 bike will wait and see what happens but it is a bit worrying. I also have 06 R1 when I bought it the TPS had been done by the dealer.

Reading this is a concern as i was not aware of this. :blink:

I have an 04 year R6 and is there anything that i can do to get this checked.

I have not experienced any problems so far but i'd rather not take a risk on a bike like this!

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Matt

My r6 was laid up for the winter when I started it a couple of weeks ago once it was warm it would not idle it just cut out I have had a recall from yamaha for air filter fixings but nothing about TPS I have spoken to two yam dealers who both said that this recall did not affect the r6 the problem has corrected itself but after 3month lay up there should be no problems with idle it is an 06 bike will wait and see what happens but it is a bit worrying. I also have 06 R1 when I bought it the TPS had been done by the dealer.

You could of course have had some 'stale' petrol left in your tank causing the bad running.

Have you looked at, or are you loged onto www.R1-FORUM.com ??

There are lots of issues even relating to some 2006 models, it would seem that even though the TPS has been replaced the problems are still persisting with some. Maybe the dealers were issued with faulty TPS to replace with the original faulty items but whatever the case, this can be a VERY DANGEROUS item to fail. No matter what Yamaha are saying. :angry:

The German magazine MOTORRAD have also run some very interesting items, re this recall. :angry:

You could of course have had some 'stale' petrol left in your tank causing the bad running.

Have you looked at, or are you loged onto www.R1-FORUM.com ??

There are lots of issues even relating to some 2006 models, it would seem that even though the TPS has been replaced the problems are still persisting with some. Maybe the dealers were issued with faulty TPS to replace with the original faulty items but whatever the case, this can be a VERY DANGEROUS item to fail. No matter what Yamaha are saying. :angry:

The German magazine MOTORRAD have also run some very interesting items, re this recall. :angry:

I will check out the R1 forum cheers.Getting more concerned

If anyone is worried or has suffered the symptoms (also look at the Carpe TDM site -- Recall & Throttle Body Sensor threads) then go to your Yamaha Dealer in the first instance and ask them IF your bike is one of those on the recall and that you think the TPS is faulty. (Dealer should have all the affected VIN numbers on computer)

The problem seems to start around the 4-5000ml mark and in some cases gets worse as the TPS becomes more worn.

Another way is to visit the R1, R6, or Fazer forums (it would appear that only the FZ6/Fazer had the TPS problem) and check out the threads for Throttle Position Sensor, TPS or Recall.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about which bikes are actualy on this recall around the world and this is what some of us are trying to clarify as Yamaha themselves were not very clear on the subject in the press reports last October. Plus of course if you are the second or third owner and not registered with Yamaha as the new owner you would not even get your recall notice letter.

Guest Tantalus

I had the same worries over my MT01. In the end I phoned them and was told mine was not on the list for recall.

For anyone who may have concerns about the TPS recall, you should give Yamaha Customer Services a ring; Have the machine details to-hand, i.e. year, model, frame and engine number and the operator will inform the owner if the bike has defective tps fitted.

This is a yamaha warranty job and parts must be fitted by an official yamaha dealer.

PHONE NUMBER IS - 01932 358065

(Office hours 9.00 am until 5.00 pm mon- fri)

I hope that helps!