John O'Groats

chrisw
This post is 6083 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys

Myself and 8 other collegues are riding from John O'Groats to Lands End to raise money for Cancer Research UK. We're all Sportsbike (ish) riders, myself on an R6. We plan to complete the ride in 3 days, covering just over 1000 miles and not using any motorways.

As a regular on this site I thought I'd post the link on here so people can have a look and get more info and hopefully use the 'DONATE ON-LINE' section to donate some money!

http://www.thrape.fsnet.co.uk/jogle1000forcruk/

Also the MSS Discovery BSB/BSS Team have kindly donated a VIP package for us to auction against costs. If this is something you would like to bid for here's the Ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=230097740122

Thanks for looking

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Well that sure makes my little 100 mile journey seem a bit easier!

:D :D ma first bike rally on ma tw125 was at groats in july had fab time, hoping this year to be on ma gpz :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

Cool,,,,,,,,,,,i wish u luck guys,,,,good cause

3 days ??? even on the A roads thats taking your time.

good luck anyway especialy as its for charity.(my missus has the big C)

JoG is a bloody dreary awfull place been there many times on my round britain trips, you wont want to stay there too long.

Your not the guys doing 'The Long Way Up' charity Ride/Climb are you??

Hi, I ride a new model R6 with few friends, one riding blackbird, one riding GSXR1100, 2 riding XJR`s and one riding TDM. Take a look at our crazy site one www.janglejangle.blogspot.com. We intend riding from our area Stafforshire up the west side across to Orkney islands and back down east side home in approx 10-14 days I will have to suggest it as a charity issue to my mates.

Hi Deano, a good cheap hotel/bunkhouse in Oban is the Corran Hotel very close to town centre for food/pubs as well.

If you do the West of Scotland coastal route on a sunday keep your fuel tank topped up as the petrol stations are few and far between. One 'must do' is the Pass of the cattle to Applecross, here you will find an excelent pub/hotel and I recomend the Haggis there.

good luck on your trip.

3 days may initially seem like a long time but we've

1) Got a lady rider who's only ever rode 150miles max in day before, So to her this is going to be one heck of a challange.

2) We're not only missing Motorways but we're not taking the most direct route either which is why we'll cover 1003miles according to Sat Nav.

3) 9 Bikes and 1 support vehicle are always going to take longer than just a couple of bikers doing it. A petrol stop for 9 bikes isn't going to be a 3minute stop.

4) We've also got to get up there and back so outside of those 3 days, so we've actually got to cover about 1850 miles. I've done 1000 miles in 2 days before on A roads and it takes it's toll on you as a rider. What we don't want is for a rider to be too weary that they end up making a serious error injuring either themself or a member of the public, so we're keeping it sensible, leaving enought time to have a good sleep and keep us refreshed so we all get their safely.

Besides averageing 360 miles and keeping it legal for the first day driving the roads in Scotland in August bank Holiday fighting the flow of Caravans will take approx 11 -12 hours. Now in August you can guarentee it's either going to be boiling hot so regular stops to hydrate will be needed or seems it's a Bank Holiday it'll be pissing it down with rain.

The 2nd day will also be approx 11 hours riding in to Ross on Wye on the Welsh border. We expect to hit Liverpool Midday and we've been told that we'll get held up there. The third day we only expect to be riding for approx 7 hours as once again we fight with the caravans through Devon and Cornwall.

3 days ??? even on the A roads thats taking your time.

good luck anyway especialy as its for charity.(my missus has the big C)

JoG is a bloody dreary awfull place been there many times on my round britain trips, you wont want to stay there too long.

Your not the guys doing 'The Long Way Up' charity Ride/Climb are you??

No, we're not those guys. Sorry to hear about your missus, it's not a nice thing to cope with as a partner either I'm sure.

I don't normally do Charity stuff as it goes to the wrong place's much of the time (usually out of this country), but the 'C' is something that will at some point in our lives effect each and every one of us in some form or another, which is why I support this one. It would be nice to think that one day it'll be something that just like we get jabs for as a kids (like we do now for TB) or even a cure rather than preventative measure.

Are you all practicing to cope with 400+ miles/day ? If you do that before your event anything less will be a doddle.

Fuel stops should become eat/drink stops as well, always get plenty of fluids in you (water or juice NOT tea/coffee) and only eat light snacks as a large meal (even breakfast) will make you tired.

Try to all have bike - bike radio it helps in town traffic also to keep in touch with your van.

Mobile signals OK for 99% of the route.

I was (before my accident last year) used to riding 5 - 600ml days (with Nick Sanders team) and when your used to it it is easy but those numb bums and sore asses to build up to it well!!!!!

The main road down from JoG is excellent (A9) but as you say can get a lot of traffic round Inverness and down toward Edinburgh. Again the roads leading to Lands End are a bit fidley.

Again good luck, if I could I'd join you.

i doubt we'll get chance to ride up to practise or ride lengths, we all work at the same place and I know some of the riders work very long hours and don't get much time at weekends either to make regular rides. There are some of us who won't find it as difficult as others. We haven't got bike to bike but we are using the Leader/marker and Sweeper riding system and are all familiar with so that will help with keeping the group in the right direction or at least the direction of the leader anyway :-)

We've actually got some people who have helped with promoting the ride on internet forums that are going to join us for part of the ride.

i doubt we'll get chance to ride up to practise or ride lengths, we all work at the same place and I know some of the riders work very long hours and don't get much time at weekends either to make regular rides. There are some of us who won't find it as difficult as others. We haven't got bike to bike but we are using the Leader/marker and Sweeper riding system and are all familiar with so that will help with keeping the group in the right direction or at least the direction of the leader anyway :-)

We've actually got some people who have helped with promoting the ride on internet forums that are going to join us for part of the ride.

Good luck to all of you and be safe

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd just add another post on here regarding this jaunt,

We set off for John O'Groats tomorrow (Friday 3rd Aug), hopefully were not going to get this the naff weather we've been having lately.

Organising the event has been time consuming especially for our Group Leader, but it's all for a worthwhile cause (Cancer Research UK),

For those who havent, have a look at our website http://www.thrape.fsnet.co.uk/jogle1000forcruk/ if anyone wants to make a donation online, then feel free to do so :D

Thanks

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online