CAT C bike

mruss5891
This post is 5467 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey, sorry this is my first post on this site, but it unfortunately is a desperate one!!

i have purchased a Bandit from ebay, problem is while searching for insurance i decided to do a Hpi check on it just to be sure.

it came up as being a Cat C write off, presumably its been repaired.

my question is, does anyone know how much this would devalue the bike? rough % ?

thanks very much for any replys!

Marc

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello there & welcome mate

You could be lookin 50% wiped off the value mate

Was it advertised as a cat c cos if it wasn't get yer money back you've been had , i nearly got caught out on ebay same thing cat c bike could'nt get insurance without an engieers report . So if you have not got one with the bike your insurance comp might want you to get one .

More money :thumbdown:

Thanks, you are the first person thats been able to tell me what it would depreciate the bike by.........

i havent paid a penny for bike thankfully, i tried to negotiate with the guy tht was selling it, he wasnt having any of it, and i ended up telling him i wasnt willing to buy it

he is adiment that its not a CAT C, and is now taking me to court supposidly, so well see what happens!! not a good attempted start to ridin..... :angry2::crying:

Whew lucky man not handing any cash over , if it's defo a cat c don't worry about the court shit he hasn't a leg to stand on . It's not called rip off bay for nothin eh

I won a Triumph Sprint ST 01/02 for £1300 , it's only when i rang my insurance for a quote i found out it was cat c .

So i told him to shove it up his arse :lol::lol::lol: And reported him to ebay for being a lying little :ct:

• 7 months later...

Whew lucky man not handing any cash over , if it's defo a cat c don't worry about the court shit he hasn't a leg to stand on . It's not called rip off bay for nothin eh

I won a Triumph Sprint ST 01/02 for £1300 , it's only when i rang my insurance for a quote i found out it was cat c .

So i told him to shove it up his arse :lol::lol::lol: And reported him to ebay for being a lying little :ct:

i bought a fj1200 3cv not knowing it was a cat c bike ran it for two years moted and insured with no problem and recently sold it with the buyer fully aware of its history with no problems. cat c means light cosmetic damage not the end of the world

Salvage is categorised from A to D

Category D

The least damage suffered of the four categories e.g. vehicles replaced under 'new for old' schemes, vehicles written-off to minimise hire charges.

The vehicle can be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs.

Note: the following was amended in the 2001 code of practice for the disposal of motor salvage, a pdf copy of which can be viewed by clicking here

The PAV (Pre Accident Value) does not exceed £2,000 (£1,000 for motorcycles), or for more expensive vehicles, where the engineer's assessed repair costs do not exceed the PAV.

Category C

Substantial damage, but repairable by an repairer or enthusiast.

The vehicle can be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs. The PAV (Pre Accident Value) exceeds £2,000 (£1,000 for motorcycles) and the engineer's assessed repair costs exceed the PAV.

Category B

Heavy damage e.g. bent chassis

The vehicle cannot be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs. However, the vehicle contains economically salvageable parts.

Category A

A 'total loss' e.g. burn-out. The only value is the scrap metal.

The vehicle cannot be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs and there are no economically salvageable parts.

As it's your first bike, walk away & put it down to experience. If he's lyin about it being Cat C, what else is he lyin about? ("Three bikes, actually Ron.")

If you're a confident mechanic, you're familiar with this model and you can get it for a song, that's a different story. Remember, you may not be able to sell it on in the future either.

You already looked at the bike, right?

• 1 year later...

As it's your first bike, walk away & put it down to experience. If he's lyin about it being Cat C, what else is he lyin about? ("Three bikes, actually Ron.")

If you're a confident mechanic, you're familiar with this model and you can get it for a song, that's a different story. Remember, you may not be able to sell it on in the future either.

You already looked at the bike, right?

I have bought several cat c and cat d motorcycles and rebuilt them . It seems that Insurane companies are very quick to write off bikes when only slightly damaged. I guess it is just too expensive for garages to strip them completely and test the forks and frames for alignment. Besides its easier to pay out and add the cost of their annual losses as a percentage across the board to all of their customers. Lets face it the Insurance business is a gambling game.....and one that the Insurance companies ALWAYS WIN. Jus take a look at how big insurance adds are in the local directories, TV and bike mags.

Anyway getting back to the point, It is possible that the seller of the bike at the begining of this forum was unaware that the bike was a cat C bike. The bikes that I have repaired have always been repaired to the highest standard. If you want to save a couple of grand on a new bike its the ideal way to go especially if you have mechanical knowledge.

If you want a track bike its even more ideal. I have never been asked for an inspection (by an engineer) from any insurer for any bike that I have repaired. As long as the bike has been repaired correctly I really cant see a problem. As I said earlier some bikes are written off with slight damage such as plastics, levers, footpegs and wxhausts, ALL of which are just bolt on items.

I dont think that a bike should be worth any less once repaired correctly than a bike that has never been in an accident.

We get the same thing on this side of the pond. Over here just having it be stolen can make it a salvage, and then extra inspections are needed (and additional fees as well) before it can be registered.

Mine got into that category because it was stolen and the twat took off and sold the full fairing I had on it, which meant I had to get a new headlight and blinkers for the front before it was road worthy, and because of that it's a salvage title now. :angry: