Annoying clatter from top end

Blue Streak
This post is 5821 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On my 1997 XJ600, I have this annoying clatter, reminiscent of tappet noise when the engine has been running for about 15 minutes or so, but on checking the valve clearances found all exhaust clearances in spec, three of the inlet clearances were too small and one was in spec.

I can understand too large a clearance causing clatter, but not a too small clearance, so am confused as to what could be causing the noise.

I know that the valve lifters run directly in the alloy head and therefore could cause wear in the head because of the lateral force applied by the cams, but would that wear cause that sort of noise and on an engine that claims to have only done about 25000 miles?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, and yes, I checked the cam chain, nice condition and nicely tensioned.

I'm planning on running it up to temperature tomorrow afternoon, to the point where it starts clattering, then taking the lid off and starting it up again and listening to the little whirly bits to see exactly where it is coming from. (images of oil flying everywhere) Got plenty of rags ready :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Have exactly the same noise on my 99 xj6 apparentley its lateral movement in the camshafts and can be sorted by means of shims not sure where u can get them from and if that is actually what the problem is or so the guy who sold me the bike told me.

• 1 year later...

On my 1997 XJ600, I have this annoying clatter, reminiscent of tappet noise when the engine has been running for about 15 minutes or so, but on checking the valve clearances found all exhaust clearances in spec, three of the inlet clearances were too small and one was in spec.

I can understand too large a clearance causing clatter, but not a too small clearance, so am confused as to what could be causing the noise.

I know that the valve lifters run directly in the alloy head and therefore could cause wear in the head because of the lateral force applied by the cams, but would that wear cause that sort of noise and on an engine that claims to have only done about 25000 miles?

HI MY XJ600S HAS ONLY DONR 10,000 AND DOES ALL THE SAME IVE DONE SHIMS CAM CHAIN ETC WONT GO AWAY . LOCAL BIKE SHOP SAID THEY DO MAKE A NOISE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

used to own a 98 divvy myself some yrs ago lol and that too had the same prob a ticking on the left side of the engine would sometimes get it on right when very hot but not often!!! basically its a quirk of the engine you could spend a fortune at yam dealer gettin tappets etc set but wont be quiet for long lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online