starting problems!!!! please help

dtr_125
This post is 6307 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have a L reg dtr125 with a 02 reg engine and since yestaday it hasnt been starting and when it does it runs for about 10 seconds then cuts out, i got the AA out and they tryed the plug - superb spark, the fuel tap was letting fuel throught and there didnt seem to be a blockage from the tank to the carb but when spray carb cleaner into the air filter it runs ok, he said it will be the carb thats blocked and that need to take the carb off and clean it out but i wanted to know if it could be owt else before i take it apart cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I also agree that it sounds like you have carb issues. If i remember correctly the DT's have really tiny jets so a small bit of crap coming from either your air filter or petrol tank can bung them up. It's not a major job to pull the carb off on the DT, once it's off give it a wipe round with a bit of kitchen roll and blow out both the pilot and the main jet. A quick squirt of WD40 should do it then blow through them and check it's clear. Also pull the air filter out of the air box and give it a clean, wiping the air box out with kitchen roll. It is always worth investing a quid or so in an inline fuel filter to prevent bits from your tank getting in and a few more quid on a washable air filter as it's surprising how much gunk they pick up. A nice clean air filter will also improve your performance no end. :)

If you feel like de-restricting the exhaust adding an aftermarket air filter and rejetting you can up performance a bit but it will cost you a number of pistons and rings while you sort out the right balance. I have a box full of holed pistons after doing this with my old DT's. It's kind of fun though.

i took the carb apart and the bottom was filled with blue water, i dont know much about bikes so not sure how or what its from but it runs brillient now, at a guess id say it was 2 stroke oil as thats blue but not like water so must have got water in the carb somehow but thax 4 the help people

the same thing happened again so took the carb off again and the bottom was filled with blue coolent again then notice the carb has a crack in it so the coolent has been leaking into the bottom of the carb so a new carb required

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online