FZR to R1

lightyears
This post is 6317 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

At the moment i own and ride a FZR750, i now have the money and the choice to get a 1000cc class bike, being a yamaha bloke i immeditly head for the R1, thing is i dont really know much about it. im after some user opinion off it not the dealer or website. i was going to go for the 07 model( my first brand new bike). is their any reviews knocking about yet.

many thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

At the moment i own and ride a FZR750, i now have the money and the choice to get a 1000cc class bike, being a yamaha bloke i immeditly head for the R1, thing is i dont really know much about it. im after some user opinion off it not the dealer or website. i was going to go for the 07 model( my first brand new bike). is their any reviews knocking about yet.

many thanks in advance

Hi, a while back I went from my old YZF750r to an 03 model R1, (black frame, first of the injected) and absolutely loved it!

The Fzr and yzf aren't too dissimilar, so jumping onto an R1 you will notice significant improvements. Power, delivery, handling etc. Choose your tires wisely though!. I personally rate the Pirelli Diablo's. On my 03 R1 I had a straight Diablo on the rear and a Diablo Corsa on the front. Gave me the best of both worlds, excellent grip and reasonable mileage. When riding an R1, head for that corner and just look through it. You don't need to do a thing, the bike just goes there.

Any way I could go on for ages but to give you a clue, I ride purely for pleasure, Tuesday and Thursday nights plus Sunday mornings with a group. I don't commute or use my bikes for any business mileage and managed to stick 13,000 miles on that R1 in 11 months, just didn't want to get off of it. So So inlove with the R1, I bought myself a new one, The 06 50th anniversary Kenny Roberts replica (Extreme Yellow) and it's even better than the first one I had. Handling is amazing and once I got used to the Pilot Powers that were fitted as standard, every corner is superb, (they turn in a bit quick compared to Diablo's).

Power will blow you away, 175BHP at 12,500 rpm but unlike the GSXR, it is controlable and a smooth delivery. I have now fitted a BMC airfilter, Akropovic de-cat pipe and Power commander3 USB to mine and she takes off like a rocket.

You will not be dissappointed with the R1, but it might take you a little while to really get to grips with it. They can and do bite if you go at it too hard, too soon.

As for the 07 R1, too early to know yet. Handling, power etc will be awesome. Only thing is that they are now using a V-TEC engine. Yamaha say they have it sorted and service time will be no longer than a standard service. When Honda did the same to the VFR, it quadrupled the service time, so might be worth speaking to a reliable Yam dealer. Keys Brothers in Worthing are diamonds and will be totally honest with you.

Anyway, best of luck and enjoy your R1 when you get it. Might find your jaw aches from the constant grinning though!

Rob......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online