Wrecked 2006 R6 - Price Estimates

Exhale85
This post is 6349 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi.

I wrecked my brand new 2006 R6 learning to ride it. To keep a long story short, I'm a huge idiot who made a 10,000 mistake.

I can't take pictures detailing the damage yet, but I can describe a bit of the damage.

The front end of the frame snapped off that connected the front wheel/handle bars to the bike and the windshield and side view mirrors are non existent. The middle and rear end of the body is mainly intact, including the engine. The only major damage to the rest of the bike/engine (aside from the plastic flimsy molding) it is a dent in my headers and I believe the oil pan was ripped open.

The engine had about 10 miles total on it. I can either try to fix it, but I heard this is costly with a snapped frame...

Or I can sell it for parts. If I do this I'd prefer to sell the whole thing at once to someone who could use the majority of what's left for engine parts.

A friend of mine who is knowledgeable of bikes (he's building his own) said I may be able to sell it for up to 3,000 dollars since the engine is still in good shape and it had no miles on it. However, I wanted a second opinion from any experienced Yamaha riders.

Also, any other opinions on to go about appraising what's left and how to sell it and maximize the money I can get for it?

Thanks. John

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

OOOOouuuuchhhh...... is all i can say and yes i know thats not very helpful!

Buy another frame and build it back up :unsure:

Do you not have insurance to cover the damage !!!!

If not well ... then ignoring all the moral comments I could make, I'd rebuild the bike. using a new frame.

But please tell us more about how you wrecked it !!! Hopefully your not at all damaged ... I'm guessing not as you've not said anything.

wooooooooooooooooops!!!

sorry to hear about that!

i'll you a tenner for the lot hahah! :P

i recommend buyign a new frame and rebuilding it. keep an eye out for spares on ebay! good luck.

however to be nosey i too woudl like to know how you crashed.

pardon my asking, but you said that you were learning to ride it, how long have you been riding, and would you think an R6 is/was a sensible choice for a begginner, that is if you are. :blink:

moral nagging asside, nice total, and hope ur all in one piece. go for the re-build, get a new frame and get the engine sorted. manny a run-in engine on Ebay, if your in need of one.

good luck with it. :D

Kim B)

I really don't know what to say. :mellow:

i will then OMFG you learnt to ride on an R6? :blink: but then hey rebuilding an R6 sounds fun!!

how long have you been riding,

I'd take a wild guess and say 10 miles! And 9 of those was on it's side! :lol:

and would you think an R6 is/was a sensible choice for a begginner,

Considering he totalled it within 10 miles I suspect it wasn't.

Crashing an R6 after 10 miles hmmmm? But we dont know the full story, could it be a heroic attempt to swerve out of the path of an erant old lady / cat that had darted in to the road, or maybe a bus full of nuns reversed out from a side street without looking. A friend of mine was knocked off when a sweed (the vegtable, not a person) fell from a tractor she was following.

It would be wrong to assume that he is a plonker with no throttle contol without hearing the full story.

But judging by the damage described, it didnt just roll of the side stand. I recommend a course of riding a fissie 50 with stablisers for about 3 months before moving onto a nice safe CG125 - I can tell you how to restrict it so its not too fast if you want.

If you need any more helpful advice or sugestions please let us know. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh no! Those can be just as dangerous - I seem to remember that if you lean back and pedal hard you can wheelie over backwards on one of those suckers. In fact that may have been my first ever bike crash.

I dont think we should give him any more chance to wreck any more two wheeled transport.

:blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Har har har :-)

Keep in mind I posted this already knowing the flack I would receive. Get it all out.

The full story - I'm naive and overzealous. I taught myself to drive a sports clutch Rx-8 by myself in less than 15 minutes, so I got overconfident when I heard shifting a bike was easier. I was experimenting with the throttle in 3rd gear when I should have been in second, thus, no low end torque. So i decided to give more to the throttle. Everything was fine until all of a sudden a boost of power kicked in just as was advertised in this bike, just in time to clip a sign with my handle bar, which was what sent me out of control.

Hilarious? Yes. Painful? Absolutely, I almost sliced my balls open going over the handle bars. It put my driving record and my bank account in debt.

Don't get me wrong - I may be overzealous and ignorant, but I'm not some rich kid with money to blow. But just because I crashed doesn't mean I'm going to quit.

As far as muy options are concerned, I can rebuild it or sell it for parts and buy another one.

Buying a new frame and rebuilding it may save me money, however there are labor expenses and time I simpy don't have. I feel like I'd rather give up a couple weeks of work in the restaurant to make up for my losses.

So, after 11 responses, to this post, no one has thrown out a rough figure of what left of my bike may be worth. Given my description, I know an approximate estimate is hard, but a more broad estimate might be appreciated. Also, any suggestions as where to try to sell this?

ebay is probably best, i have seen people strip a bike with damaged frames to another frame in just over a day

Har har har :-)

Keep in mind I posted this already knowing the flack I would receive. Get it all out.

The full story - I'm naive and overzealous. I taught myself to drive a sports clutch Rx-8 by myself in less than 15 minutes, so I got overconfident when I heard shifting a bike was easier. I was experimenting with the throttle in 3rd gear when I should have been in second, thus, no low end torque. So i decided to give more to the throttle. Everything was fine until all of a sudden a boost of power kicked in just as was advertised in this bike, just in time to clip a sign with my handle bar, which was what sent me out of control.

Hilarious? Yes. Painful? Absolutely, I almost sliced my balls open going over the handle bars. It put my driving record and my bank account in debt.

Don't get me wrong - I may be overzealous and ignorant, but I'm not some rich kid with money to blow. But just because I crashed doesn't mean I'm going to quit.

As far as muy options are concerned, I can rebuild it or sell it for parts and buy another one.

Buying a new frame and rebuilding it may save me money, however there are labor expenses and time I simpy don't have. I feel like I'd rather give up a couple weeks of work in the restaurant to make up for my losses.

So, after 11 responses, to this post, no one has thrown out a rough figure of what left of my bike may be worth. Given my description, I know an approximate estimate is hard, but a more broad estimate might be appreciated. Also, any suggestions as where to try to sell this?

I like you.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online