K & N - Any difference??

Kitty-Cat
This post is 6338 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

k & N will make a slight difference to performance allowing better air flow into your air box boosting power. however for best results i would recommend dynojet or power commander depending wether your bike is carbed or injection and a new exhaust.

so for a slight increase yeah go for it! as further advice spend a little bit more and buy the cleanable filter as then you NEVER have to buy another air filter. every now and then just whip it out and chuck it in your washing machine! job done. B)

Although they can give a better sound from the airbox and you will think that your getting better performance in the short term, long term you will be reducing performance. Fitting such filters aren't good for the longevity of a bike/car. The only way they can let more air in for the same size filter is if they don't filter as good which means bigger dust particles can get through the filter increasing engine wear. If you don't use the bike that much then you might not be too worried about that though.

I was told that the k & n was a better filter for both reasons!

filtering: because it has a different contour(not bigger filtering holes) the air enters the filter more smoothly and direct (straight line suction) thus allowing a greater build up of air to enter in one go it will increase the performance slightly as well as giving BETTER protection.....

Maybe this can be argued then!

but looking at the filters the k & n certainly looks like a beter filtration system to me? especially if oiled properly?

regards.

Unfortunately their are thousands upon thousands of people who believe exactly what you have just stated, because they've read the back of the box.

Well the marketing people aren't exactly going to admit on the packaging that their product doesn't filter as good as a standard filter are they !!!

If products like that provided better filteration and gave better for the performance then Bike/Car manufacturers would be putting using them as OE but they don't.

I'm saying this and I actually run a F&N filter, I'm aware it's not filtering as good, but I prefer the noise and seems I swap my bike regular I don't worry too much. So I'm not against them at all.

Like anything that's on the market much of it is all hype ... it's the same with a lot of fuel additives that claim to clean your system, very very few actually do much at all .. only 2 products actually have the correct ingriedients in to make a proper difference one being STP (Must be the Silver bottle) the formula used on some of their other products doesn't do that much.

Castrol also produced a statement regarding Fiction eliminator products, they'd spent time testing the products and claimed that they did absolutely nothing for an engine in good condition, and if I beleive correctly could actually stop the oil from doing it's job. So if the oil manufacturers won't use it as in ingrediant in their oil it's not good news when we add it in yourself. The exception to this is if you cause serious damage such as smash an engine casing an loose the oil, the coating that has built up on the metal surfaces may get you home without much damage, but would you really want to ride a bike like that oil pouring out of the crankcase still all over your back tyre.

Crike I'm going on and on aren't I. All I'm trying to say is don't beleive the packaging all of the time it's not completely accurate for day to day living, marketing people are clever with figures and bend the truth to suit. They've got more people who believe it than don't so they don't care.

Can't fault you, like I say I know the issues but I still have one, I was just stating facts not giving advice not to get one.

.. you'll love it and will swear it's produced more ponies, which it does when brand new.

Hi, i have dino'ed my bike and have a k&n filter on it , my mates bike is standard, his makes more power

than mine (3 horse power across the range) my bike is a 2001 r1 , his is a 1999 r1 Maybe the engines are different in some way.

k&n filters do filter out more particles because they use a oil base filter that helps prevent dust and dirt from getting to your engine.i myself would not use one in a stock airbox.i would use four individual filters for better performance.after i put mine on i got about 20% more hp and my milage went up also.i now have more then 45000 miles on my bike and it is still going strong.

did you just take the airbox off and simply just put an air filter per carb inlet on??

if so - do you have a picture anywhere at all - what filters did you use?

I notice a very small hesitation on harsh acceleration since i put the k & n on - any idea's - do you think it needs re-jetting? etc.... :unsure:

cheers. :D

you might need to rejett just depends on the bike.as far as a picture goes i will try to find one for you or you can just goto www.denniskirk.com and they have individual air filters for just about every bike ever built or goto your search engine and look for k&n's website and you can buy them there.but i have found that individual air cleaners work way better and give you better performance overall.but once you put on the individuals you will need to resync your carbs.good luck and i will try to find you a pic.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online