R6

paulr6
This post is 6382 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there Paul, Welcome to the site and best of luck for the upcoming test.

R6's are great bikes. Whether it will be suitable for a first bike depends on many factors, such as your age/year of bike/use/insurance requirements

What year are you thinking of getting as this changes my answer the 03/04/05 models would be OK, but I've always warned about the earlier models for newbie riders, these were a more unpredictable machine and the backend could step out with out much warning. One magazine once wrote " Unless you have 10,000 miles of Sports bike riding, don't even consider one of the early R6's"

(My ex lost a friend who had this very thing happen to her, she'd passed her test, bought a 2000 (i think) R6 and had only been riding 2 weeks, so wasn't familiar with reading the bike. Going round a long gentle corner probably pushing it just a little, the back end stepped out causing a fatal crash)

I've said this before, and I don't mean to scare anyone by saying that lot, and the chances are that you'll be fine, but it would be wrong not to be give information so you can make your own informed choice.

Personally I think a Thundercat is a better machine for a newbie rider, it's more predictable, not so race orientated, it's nearly as quick on both acceleration and top end as an R6, comfier, lower insurance group, cheaper to run .. but like I say that's a personal opinion.

What ever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

hello mate

cheers for that. i was thinking of a 03 model.

I found a company on the internet which quoted me a really cheap price.

which is why i am thinking of getting one.

hopefully i pass and il let you know what the end decision was mate.

paul

Hi Paul and welcome.

I have to say that I would agree with the above comments, not in regard to the R6 (I have never ridden one so can make no comment about the bike itself) but about riding generally.

Obviously you know about yourself and whether or not you will restrain your right hand, but for me passing your test is only the first stage. Frankly I would suggest that a Thundercat is more than big/powerful enough for a novice rider, and maybe you should consider something even 'tamer' such as a GS or CB500, a Diversion 600 or similar. Such a bike will give you invaluable experience, whilst not costing too much to buy or insure and should the worst happen the repair bills would hopefully not be too bad either. Even a simple low speed drop on a bike with lots of plastic can be ruinous! After a year to eighten months you would probably find the transition to a bigger bike a lot more comfortable.

Just my thoughts, and good luck with the test.

Andy

hi mate!! welcome to the club.

i was in the same position as you just a few months back.

the r6 is a briliant bike, it really is. i going to presume your under 21 so the bike will be de-restricted. which to be honest doesn't make much difference it simply means with 2 up its a bit slower and it won't hit a higher top speed and after sort of 80 ish it takes a bit longer to get faster. but it will.

as for the r6 like i said a great bike. but its the insurance thats going to kill you. i wanted one and was at the point of buying one but after weighing up the options i decided i would build up to that once my restriction comes off. it depends how you feel about having a bike like an r6. wether you trust yourself and wether realistically you think you can handle it. obviously it takes a while to get used to things, but thats the same with any bike. but if you think you can then great!!! an 03 plate one sounds brilliant! (is it blue!!).

but always consider your options mate, just so you've deffinately got the right bike.

but anyways! enjoy whatever you get and good luck in your test!

Tom

( i got a hornet instead!)

wot can i say i passed my test last week and am now riding a 2002 R6 as my first big bike and havent looked back shes so easy to ride and extremely quick for a 600 cc machine so quick its frightening this in turn makes me very very careful whilst riding her so please accept all the good advice above of course its all very important but in my honest opinion the R6 is a most excellent choice for a first bike!! go for it... ;) oooohhh!! and good luck on your test!!

Thanks for the replies.

thanks for the advice.

in insurance terms i found a stupid deal on the internet.

insurance on r6 unrestricted at 21 for only 400 pound.

this is the reason for wanting one and they are my favourite bike.

il let you know the outcome.

once again thanks

Hi Paul,

My first bike was a 2000 R6 (which I lost a month ago to thieves :( ) and I absolutely loved it. But the first few weeks on it were a nightmare. Trying to get used to the twitchiness, lack of grunt below 8000rpm, NASA launch like kick after 10000rpm and the fact that doing a u-turn without jamming your throttle hand and having to put your foot down is harder than eating soup with a fork.

BUT, and this is the crucial part, everything I mentioned (apart from the u-turns) I got used to and actually became the reasons I loved the bike so much. How I miss it......

The advice from the other guys is all sound though so basically you have to have weigh up the pros and cons and do what's right for you. One thing I can guarantee is that if you do get the R6 then you won't be disappointed but your adrenal gland is going to be seriously overworked. :D

I agree with everything on here but stick to my original comments, about whether an early model is suitable for a newbie.

And I can't deny the r6 is a great bike, I actually have one (2004).

I think Boozehound gave a good example of how an earlier model R6, can be daunting to a new rider, and stated the twitchiness of the bike. If no spills then yes we get to love them.

All any of us can do is give our own experiences and knowledge we know and let any buyer make there mind up knowing all the fact not just one side.

But on the upside, Pauls considering a 2003 (hopefully a fuel injected model not a late registered bike). These are for less twitchy and more rider friendly, low end power is naff up to about 6k, then it starts taking off at 9k and all hell breaks loose and it's like riding scalded cat. (ooerr)

Thanks for the replies.

thanks for the advice.

in insurance terms i found a stupid deal on the internet.

insurance on r6 unrestricted at 21 for only 400 pound.

this is the reason for wanting one and they are my favourite bike.

il let you know the outcome.

once again thanks

sounds bloody reasonable to me!!!!! :)

some very wise people on here!!

i would just also like to add that i have my final test on wednesday - but know how to ride - i've gone for a Thundercat 600 for now and it's sitting there in the garage waiting for me to take her out onto the open road from wednesday on! I have to pass! (Failure's not an option!) She is a 99 model and probably worth in the region of £1800 - all black, taxed mot'd and ready to go...... it's extremely comfortable, easy to control and more importantly - still very powerful (just over 100bhp) thats enough for me for about 4-5months then i will look at upgrading - probably to something like either the new r6, gsxr 600, or i may even look at the gsxr 750! but im not sure yet, I guess being on the forum i might have to be persuaded to go for the 07 R6! but as much as i want to jump straight on a R6 i would definitely benefit from a few months/miles experience first... I will be commuting throughout winter! ( once again to build up my experience) and by the summer time i would be confident enough to Go and exchange my Cat for that Brand new R6....

Good luck too Paul!

i've gone for a Thundercat 600 for now and it's sitting there in the garage waiting for me to take her out

hmmm i bet you rode her eh eh!! lol :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online