Valve clearances and cam chain timing help

kaptinkurtz
This post is 5793 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

just had the rocker cover off my 88 xj600, cos it wont start. No valve clearances at all (that'll do it every time). Anyone any idea how they could have got to be this bad?

What I really need are the details of the valve clearances and cam chain timings and and any other details or advice thats going to help me sort this out over the weekend. thanks in advance,

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

just had the rocker cover off my 88 xj600, cos it wont start. No valve clearances at all (that'll do it every time). Anyone any idea how they could have got to be this bad?

What I really need are the details of the valve clearances and cam chain timings and and any other details or advice thats going to help me sort this out over the weekend. thanks in advance,

Mike

clearances close up as the valves recess into the head(wear). from what i belive the xj have bucket and shim,s which requires special tool to insert the shims and a micrometer to measure the shims.

Personally i would let a bike shop do it.

clearances close up as the valves recess into the head(wear). from what i belive the xj have bucket and shim,s which requires special tool to insert the shims and a micrometer to measure the shims.

Personally i would let a bike shop do it.

thanks for that mate, but done bucket and shims before - just never seen them this bad

bought the bike as a runner to do the rally season, and it went from ok to nowt in a weekend. wondering if theres a special YAM ting going on or not. I have feeler gauges, but would be interested to know i fthe satndard clearance is applicable. Also, a copy of the cam timing diagram or anything else useful appreciated.

ultimately, paid £200 for the bike - i fi cant get it running again for £50, its getting torn up and ebayed, wheels are worth £60, and V5 frame is another £80

ta tho

Me

• 3 months later...

Only just read your post, so you may have sorted it out by now, but valve clearances are:

Exhaust - 0.21 to 0.25mm (.008 to .010in)

Inlet - 0.11 to 0.15mm (.004 to .006in)

I can tell you how to do it all, but it's a bit long to put on here.

If you still need the information then pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the full rundown on it.

• 1 year later...

Only just read your post, so you may have sorted it out by now, but valve clearances are:

Exhaust - 0.21 to 0.25mm (.008 to .010in)

Inlet - 0.11 to 0.15mm (.004 to .006in)

I can tell you how to do it all, but it's a bit long to put on here.

If you still need the information then pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the full rundown on it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online